Large Scale Central

Plastic wood ladder system?

I am thinking of raising some track anywhere from flat to a max. of 11". Looking at several posts, I am leaning towards the ladder system idea with plastic trim pieces. Went to HD today to look at the white plastic trim pieces. They come in 8’ lengths and are about 2" x 3/4". I tried bending the trim piece and it doesn’t feel as if it would make a tight curve. Has anyone ripped this stock down the middle / into two pieces for easy bending?
thanks,
John

How tight a curve are you trying to get? I’ve bent them easily for a 10’ diameter curve, I could have just as easily done a 8’ diameter. I didn’t try anything tighter than that since I didn’t need it that tight.

Same here John. I could bend mine easily into a 8’ diameter curve. Were you looking at PVC trim or plastic trim. There is a big difference. Also, the dimensions I got were 10 ft long and were 1 x 2s . I also used 2 x 2s in 10 ft lengths. I got mine at my local Menards. We dont have a HD. I also saw the stuff at Lowes. Here is a cross-section:

(http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m489/jake3404/ladder1.jpg)

And here is a few more pics:

(http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m489/jake3404/5-24-11056.jpg)

(http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m489/jake3404/pic6.jpg)

The material I saw was called azec trim. I need to be able to bend it for a 5’ radius track. I am thinking of ripping it in half.

Ive ripped Tuf Board into 3/8 strips and used it as the wall of my turntable. I would think ripping it, bending it tight, then screwing/gluing it back together would work just fine.

went to hd in Nashua today looking for the Tuf Board…they never heard of it.

Try brand name “Trim plank” and you want the 1X2’s it will bend to what you need. I have had in place and experimented with the ladder system and the different materials for about 5 yrs now. Usually the guys at the counter don’t know the brand names…even though it is in the store

Interesting. The HD in Leominster has it.

john papadonis said:
went to hd in Nashua today looking for the Tuf Board....they never heard of it.
I remember the first time I went into HD and asked for it; the guy had never heard of it. I went around to the next aisle, and there it was. They probably don't know they carry paint, either. ;)

They carry paint???

Just for giggles I stress tested a piece of scrap at work that was nearly 1 inch tall by 3/4" wide. I was able to bend it very tight before it finally snapped. The 2" x 3/4" PVC trim I get at HD bends quite easily. Azek is the high priced spread. It has a much harder finish that resists scratching. Not needed in this application. Go with the cheaper Trim Plank if you can find it.

It’s called Veranda at my HD. I bent it to a five foot radius.

Don

You might check in the trim area near the garage door openers. The is where I found the stuff in both Menards and Lowes.

If this stuff bends to tight radius so well, how well does it resist sag between verticals? That is a problem we noticed with Trex. It did well on curves, but sagged like Maggies drawers on a tangent. Is this material any better?

Steve: No probs with posts every three feet.

Steve Featherkile said:
If this stuff bends to tight radius so well, how well does it resist sag between verticals? That is a problem we noticed with Trex. It did well on curves, but sagged like Maggies drawers on a tangent. Is this material any better?
The thicker the material, the less resistant to curvature / sagging. I am using 3/4" x 2" material with the two being on the vertical. It bends quite easily on the 3/4" side, but is quite resistant to bending or sag on the 2" side. With supports every two to three fee it does fine.

Hi John,
Home Depot in Hyannis has the AZAK, the PVC WOOD in many sizes, I hope this is a help for you
A good friend here close by has used the LADDER SYSTEM and I am sure we can show it to you and you could ask him all the questions you can think of.
By rthe way HAPPY EASTER,
Ron

I have my post every two feet, and had a USA Trains Bigboy running with no problems.

Don & Craig Hofsheier said:
I have my post every two feet, and had a USA Trains Bigboy running with no problems.
Don,

How deep are your posts? Mine are 18 inches and I still have to push some of the ladder track down in the Spring. I think I’m getting expansion in the ballast during frost heave that is pulling it all up. The track is staying very level and usable but it still is moving.

Ric Golding said:
How deep are your posts? Mine are 18 inches and I still have to push some of the ladder track down in the Spring. I think I'm getting expansion in the ballast during frost heave that is pulling it all up. The track is staying very level and usable but it still is moving.
I get the same ins some areas. The posts are down about 12" because below that is all rock. I was thinking it's water collecting under the post, freezing, and lifting the post up. In the spring it pushes back to exactly where it belongs with very little effort.