Large Scale Central

Piko Taurus engine

This review concerns my Piko Taurus engine(s). I have four as of this date and I must say right away, I am impressed. Simplicity and that German engineering as well as mind blowing detail is exactly why I chose these engines for my modern Euro Railroad. I am modeling a prototypical Austrian/German Federal Railroad. So, I needed the Taurus engines. Right out of the box and onto the track and pulling some rather impressive amounts of rolling stock, these engines are, indeed, impressive. Piko makes quite a few versions as far as actual railroads. OBB, RTR, ALEX are a few names adorning these engines. Made of weatherproof plastic and with crisp graphics, the realism is only heightened when you add those LGB rolling stock cars. Each engine comes with manually operated pantographs. Directional lighting and an engineer. The trucks have four wheels each that pick up, but the addition of four pick up shoes ensures a smooth run, regardless the length of track. Minor details include various grab handles and optional push bumpers are included. The first series of these engines utilized, regular bulbs for headlights. Later series engines have incorporated the much brighter bulbs. Removing the body shell is as easy as 10 screws. Nothing complicated here and the engines are ready capable for both sound and digital. Prices vary, but I paid $275 dollars for each engine. Not everyone likes European styled railroads, but I model in both American and European. For the money, they are well engineered and will last a very long time if cared for. The motors in each truck are low draw type and require no real effort in maintaining. I have seen these engines modified to incorporate an actual working pantograph system. The pantograph goes up and draws in power from the suspended lines as in the real McCoy. If you are not familiar with the Taurus engines, my profile picture depicts one used by the RTR in Austria. One additional note. These engines use the hook and loop coupler system. Which only translates to a smooth pull around even the most difficult layouts either indoor or outdoor. If anyone has any questions regarding this particular locomotive, either the scaled version or its real cousin, please feel free to email me. I will be more than delighted to share what I know. Thanks

Stacy, nice review… a couple of suggestions.

Break your writing into paragraphs, easier to read, paragraphs group thoughts.

Also, pictures!!!

Regards, Greg

Yes. Paragraphs. It takes more time to be literate, but it sure helps folks read it.

Sorry, but this is how I write and learned to write guys. I’ll try, in the future, to keep things short and concise though.

Thanks

Stacy K

Fine.

tac

Please don’t do that Stacy… if our choices are:

one huge paragraph all lumped together with no grouping of information, BUT lots of information

VS

less date and information in a nicer format…

PLEASE give us all the data… even if it’s hard to read, the more “observation points” and details the better.

Regards, Greg

Stacy Krausmann said:

This review concerns my Piko Taurus engine(s). I have four as of this date and I must say right away, I am impressed. Simplicity and that German engineering as well as mind blowing detail is exactly why I chose these engines for my modern Euro Railroad. I am modeling a prototypical Austrian/German Federal Railroad. So, I needed the Taurus engines. Right out of the box and onto the track and pulling some rather impressive amounts of rolling stock, these engines are, indeed, impressive.

Piko makes quite a few versions as far as actual railroads. OBB, RTR, ALEX are a few names adorning these engines. Made of weatherproof plastic and with crisp graphics, the realism is only heightened when you add those LGB rolling stock cars.

Each engine comes with manually operated pantographs. Directional lighting and an engineer. The trucks have four wheels each that pick up, but the addition of four pick up shoes ensures a smooth run, regardless the length of track. Minor details include various grab handles and optional push bumpers are included.

The first series of these engines utilized, regular bulbs for headlights. Later series engines have incorporated the much brighter bulbs.Removing the body shell is as easy as 10 screws. Nothing complicated here and the engines are ready capable for both sound and digital.

Prices vary, but I paid $275 dollars for each engine. Not everyone likes European styled railroads, but I model in both American and European. For the money, they are well engineered and will last a very long time if cared for.

The motors in each truck are low draw type and require no real effort in maintaining. I have seen these engines modified to incorporate an actual working pantograph system. The pantograph goes up and draws in power from the suspended lines as in the real McCoy.

If you are not familiar with the Taurus engines, my profile picture depicts one used by the RTR in Austria.

One additional note. These engines use the hook and loop coupler system. Which only translates to a smooth pull around even the most difficult layouts either indoor or outdoor.

If anyone has any questions regarding this particular locomotive, either the scaled version or its real cousin, please feel free to email me. I will be more than delighted to share what I know. Thanks

Stacy’s post gathered into similar ideas… so much easier to read.

Ahhh… Steve you are HIRED!!!

Steve is a good man and that is why I am promoting him to Chief Warrant Officer. His sole duty is to protect me. I hope he accepts his promotion and does a first rate job defending me against all you would be high ballers! :slight_smile:

Stacy K

Stacy Krausmann said:

Steve is a good man and that is why I am promoting him to Chief Warrant Officer. His sole duty is to protect me. I hope he accepts his promotion and does a first rate job defending me against all you would be high ballers! :slight_smile:

Stacy K

Hmmmmm very interesting concept, the best one yet and there have been a few.

Andrew Moore said:

Yes. Paragraphs. It takes more time to be literate, but it sure helps folks read it.

Perhaps they are overrated, the paragraphs that is. There is a modern style of writing that lacks paragraphs, punctuation and consequently everything is in lower case. There is a beginning and an end, however the rest is free flow. Saves a lot of time and doesn’t strain the brain … unless one is on the receiving end and tries to decipher what it may mean.

It could be a close relative to, or the source of, the gobbledygook called texting.

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:

Andrew Moore said:

Perhaps they are overrated, the paragraphs that is. There is a modern style of writing that lacks paragraphs, punctuation and consequently everything is in lower case. There is a beginning and an end, however the rest is free flow. Saves a lot of time and doesn’t strain the brain … unless one is on the receiving end and tries to decipher what it may mean.

It could be a close relative to, or the source of, the gobbledygook called texting.

Hans, and this is why I takes me so long to write articles. I do tend to write in paragraphs, and I try and group my thoughts, but I tend to get comma happy and run things together. So I will write an article and then come back the next day and reread it. That usually causes me to rewrite it so it is clearer. Then I also realize that I need to explain something better, so another paragraph is added. Then I have to “adjust” the other paragraphs to pull out what the new paragraph covers, and then I have to make them all flow properly and then…

I was never so best at Engalish. :wink:

I will also storm castles at reasonable rates, torches and pitchforks, extra.

Steve Featherkile said:

I will also storm castles at reasonable rates, torches and pitchforks, extra.

Steve’s “White Knight on a dark Horse” service.

Good review, Steve!

Joe Zullo said:

Good review, Steve!

S’not my review, its Stacy’s review.

I was led to believe that you were a mariner Steve not a landlubber? lol

Alan…you may be too easily led…!!

You might not have noticed that I am prone to the “Forking” of manure", or in layman’s terms, “Shovel Shit”…but Steve has me beat…

…his “Editing” of a basically good review, in the eyes of the reviewer, was very much enhanced, by his efforts.

Breaking up a “Slab” of words, and information, even with just a space, makes it much more readable.

I initially avoided reading the original message, but after editing, it was much more inviting, from a reader’s perspective.

Thank you Stacy, for your review…and thank you Steve for your editing.

We can all learn from both these actions, and present our thoughts better in the future.

Fr. Fred,

Can I commend the pilcrow sign to you?

Besides, living on the coast, in a town and County with a long maritime tradition, I can recognize an ‘old salt’ when I see one. Sir Francis Drake, one the best pirates of all time, was born here. The county was the last port of call for Mayflower (and quite a few other Pilgrim ships) which left these shores for the New World. Mayflower II was built in my town, my father and father-in-law were amongst those who built her. Sea Dogs a’ plenty here. lol

Inexplicably most residents of these islands - presumably those who have a reasonable lineage in these islands - believe salt to be a constituent of their blood.

Yo! Ho! Ho! and a bottle of rum!

Regarding paragraphs, this should do nicely.

http://tinyurl.com/lttbfm3

Google is an immensely valuable source for all kinds of information.