Large Scale Central

Piko Taurus engine

Alan, is there any reason you keep trying to derail the topic to something about the sea?

Back to the original topic, the review says:

“The first series of these engines utilized, regular bulbs for headlights. Later series engines have incorporated the much brighter bulbs.”

does this mean the locos went to LEDs? or just brighter incandescent bulbs?

Greg

None, other than the courtesy of replying to a post from a friend!

Greg Elmassian said:

Back to the original topic, the review says:

“The first series of these engines utilized, regular bulbs for headlights. Later series engines have incorporated the much brighter bulbs.”

does this mean the locos went to LEDs? or just brighter incandescent bulbs?

Greg

The first series used bulbs, one each end for directional lighting. The light was distributed to just the lower two headlights through plastic light channels.

Newer versions have the correct three headlights scheme. Massoth offers after market kits for really prototypical headlights. High beam / low beam up front, correct lights at the tail end etc. using the corresponding LED units.

My ALEX Taurus uses LED’s. My OBB Taurus uses regular bulbs. The difference is obvious at night. The LED’s are superior.

Steve Featherkile said:

Joe Zullo said:

Good review, Steve!

S’not my review, its Stacy’s review.

I know that Steve, but I could read your version, and did not attempt to read the run on paragraph originally presented.

Joe Zullo said:

Steve Featherkile said:

Joe Zullo said:

Good review, Steve!

S’not my review, its Stacy’s review.

I know that Steve, but I could read your version, and did not attempt to read the run on paragraph originally presented.

I know. Reading that paragraph was so arduous and difficult. LOL

Alan Lott said:

Fr. Fred,

Can I commend the pilcrow sign to you?

Besides, living on the coast, in a town and County with a long maritime tradition, I can recognize an ‘old salt’ when I see one. Sir Francis Drake, one the best pirates of all time, was born here. The county was the last port of call for Mayflower (and quite a few other Pilgrim ships) which left these shores for the New World. Mayflower II was built in my town, my father and father-in-law were amongst those who built her. Sea Dogs a’ plenty here. lol

Inexplicably most residents of these islands - presumably those who have a reasonable lineage in these islands - believe salt to be a constituent of their blood.

Yo! Ho! Ho! and a bottle of rum!

Avast behind!

tac

Alan Lott said:

I was led to believe that you were a mariner Steve not a landlubber? lol

“The Marines have landed, the situation is well in hand.” I spent the first two years of my Naval career as a rifle carrying Marine. Then I ran away to sea.

And I for one thank you for your service.

Really, all this fuss over a review because it was formatted in one single paragraph. Funny, my nephews 6 year old had no issues reading it the way it was posted. LOL

Oh well, When in Rome…

“Oh well, When in Rome…”

Try to remember that saying.

Amen Joe!

Joe Zullo said:

“Oh well, When in Rome…”

Try to remember that saying.

Oh, I’ll remember it alright. What, with all you hobo’s up in here reminding me…LOL

Good, then you’ll get along here. :slight_smile:

Joe Zullo said:

Good, then you’ll get along here. :slight_smile:

Like two ships passing in the night, you have failed to understand the point. Why am I not surprised?

Back on topic.

When I ran one of my Piko Taurus locomotives, I noticed a particularly annoying noise that I could not identify right away. In fact, I had to run the locomotive real slowly and within inches of my ears to try and isolate the noise. Here, it was the pick up shoes that pick up power from the track that were making a somewhat squealing type noise. So, I placed a little graphite on each shoe and viola, end of noise and she runs smooth around the track.

As for the lights. They are replaceable. That is, you can put LED’s in versus the regular bulbs they first used in the earlier manufactured locomotives.

One other issue I had. I thought I mentioned this in my opening statement was that the engineer came lose and was in the back somewhere. Necessitating that I remove the body shell off the frame and gluing him back into the seat.

I contacted Piko and reported this since three out of the four I purchased, the engineer had come lose from his seat. No real big deal, but thought it worth mentioning.

Could someone please post a picture of one of these?

We like pictures.

Lou Luczu said:

We like pictures.

Ask Stacy. It’s his review!

Joe Zullo said:

Lou Luczu said:

We like pictures.

Ask Stacy. It’s his review!

Thank you for posting the pictures Hans. I have those two locomotives. The black one is by far the most beautiful in my opinion.

PS, I apologize about the pictures guys or rather lack of. I am having some difficulty with my browser still, but if anyone can post pictures for me, I am grateful.