Large Scale Central

Piko R7

i noticed that Piko is releasing a R7 switch, i am guessing it maybe be somewhat similar to the LGB 18000 switches?

PIKO R7 has a 1564.6mm rad

LGB R5 has 2320mm rad

bummer

John Miller said:
bummer

Not Really! A 1564.6 mm radius is 5 feet. As USA Trains does not offer a 5 foot radius switch and Aristo-Craft will no longer make their wide radius (5 foot diameter) switch; this will provide a new source for this often used device.

5’ rad perfect to drop into a 5’diameter curve fora planned branchline !

Piko R7 ehh !

btw why not keep it simple like R5 = 5’radius, R7 =7’, etc. etc.

nite

doug c

Maybe someday Piko will come out with the larger radius. I am in the process of eliminating several of my LGB 1600’s.

Doug Cannon said:

Piko R7 ehh !

nite

doug c

It’s the “we don’t need no stupid standards” attitude. I laughed when I saw the PIKO track specs the first time.

A 320mm piece of track is listed as 321.54mm; the Dr.'s eye glasses most be exceptionally accurate. http://www.rhb-grischun.ca/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_tc.gifhttp://www.rhb-grischun.ca/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gifhttp://www.rhb-grischun.ca/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_twisted.gif

anyone using these yet?

I have sold 12 to a customer who is replacing all his LGB and Aristo 10’ switches. He mostly runs Accucraft engines and rolling stock with fine scale wheels. He had nothing but trouble with the Aristo and LGB with derailments. He called and told me that with the Piko switches that he does not even see the engines rock or jump when they go thru the Piko switches. They are a little longer then the others so they are not a drop in replacement for the others. They are a 10’ diameter switch. He likes the quality of the switches.
Mike

If your customer wants to save dumping those Aristo WR switches into a landfill; he can send them to me…PLEASE, and I don’t care if they are SS, Brass, or Aluminium…

Doug Cannon said:

Piko R7 ehh !

nite

doug c

Doug,

Some very suspect math there - 5’ rad in a 5’ diameter curve ??

While I agree that they could make it simpler, as the rest of the world uses sensible decimal systems (like meters instead of ft/yrds/etc.,) then calling it 7’ wouldn’t help all their other customers!

PIKO just had to have a completely different scheme - to go with the Doctor’s eye glasses.

Pete, the metric system makes no more sense than does the once-around, straight-through, furlongs per fortnight, whole-ball system. Accurate measurements can be made in any system with which you are comfortable.

You are so right Steve - once you ‘fathom’ it all out. (http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/verschiedene/a065.gif)

Alan Lott said:

You are so right Steve - once you ‘fathom’ it all out. (http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/verschiedene/a065.gif)

Way back when, not only needed I to improve my English (the Canadian variety) rapidly, I also had the joy of learning the Imperial measuring system in detail, but luckily was spared the fractions “garbage”, except in wood working applications.

I was greatly amused that inch micrometers had a .025 pitch screw which confused many of the “natives” quite often resulting in the usual mistakes. Sooooo I splurged the money and bought a micrometer that read .100 per revolution (Made in Switzerland). Yep, that’s what it was a virtual revolution.

Getting back to the PIKO track system, listing the radius of track pieces down to the 0.01mm is a bit extreme.

Yeah, looks like someone was just converting with a calculator and had no feel for “nominal” measurements.

Many people believe that when they buy sectional track, and they assemble a half circle, for example, by tightly butting the rails, it will be exactly the correct “diameter”… well that’s never happened to me in my experience.

Greg

And it all depends on, if the diameter is measured on the inside rail, the outside rail or the center-line. Different folks do it differently. So, even with the same measurement, if different reference points are used, it still doesn’t line up when different folks use different reference points.

David Maynard said:

And it all depends on, if the diameter is measured on the inside rail, the outside rail or the center-line. Different folks do it differently. So, even with the same measurement, if different reference points are used, it still doesn’t line up when different folks use different reference points.

David,

Anyone with half a brain and a bit of engineering background will measure center line to center line. But you’re right, there are plenty of people who just don’t get. Neither this nor any number of other logical dimensioning requirements or for that matter a whole bunch of other stuff.

Let’s call the whole thing off!

Yes Hans, you are correct, a bit abrupt maybe, but correct. And why do we have to try and educate and argue with them so flippen often?