Large Scale Central

pawn shop

The town of Hesperus is growing and a young Italian immigrant from New Jersey who did some work for the Army in the area decided to settle down and open a shop. Since he was familiar with the place and the typical economic ups and downs that go with it, he thought he’d start a pawn shop to help out the local people when the slow times came around. And hire himself out as a trail guide to any tourists who visited.

Since he’ll need to outfit those tourists with the right equipment and anybody else that may want to do some exploring, It’ll be built on the spur behind the station, with a loading dock. The management of the RGS wishes him the best of luck in his new venture.

Cool windows and doors. where did you get them?

Ron Tremblay said:

Cool windows and doors. where did you get them?

http://www.ozarkminiatures.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idcategory=1325&curPage=3&sortField=sku

Their from Precision Products : Station Details crystal clear

Thanks for the info, Ken:)

Smart work there Ken me old mate .

Mike

Neat. I need to remember your idea of using the screws. Nice and solid, I bet.

And since that stuffs pretty light, it adds a little weight to them too…:wink:

I began to wonder at the mention of screws if the title had been miss-spelled .

Mike

I like that. a wood frame and screws. I will need to rebuild my sawmill next spring, its rotting away. I bought a pile of coroplast, and I know I can really screw it up, ah, um, screw it together, now that I have seen this thread.

Nice and great history lesson.

Don’t forget that some political signs are still made of this stuff here in the USA.

There may be a bunch available next Wednesday :wink:

David Maynard said:

I like that. a wood frame and screws. I will need to rebuild my sawmill next spring, its rotting away. I bought a pile of coroplast, and I know I can really screw it up, ah, um, screw it together, now that I have seen this thread.

The frame is cut down PVC board to 3/4" square. The screws are 1 1/4" deck screws, and Goop is used to glue it together. Clamps are used to hold the PVC in place till I get the screws in. The coroplast doesn’t have much of an edge surface to hold glue, so the PVC gives a larger gluing surface and keeps the corners straight. I’ll also run it around the top and bottom edges to add some strength and weight to it.

The base is 3 1x6" PVC boards glued together with PVC pipe cement and clamped together the same way you would boards.

During my open house on Saturday, a couple of the guys had questions about how I built some of the buildings and where I got the materials. I took them into my messy shop and showed them that all the foundation material is available from Lowes. The outside finished veneer is Precision Products available from Ozark Miniatures. (the cashier at Lowes even asks me if this is “more train Stuff” Usually it is…And sorry Shawn but this isn’t replacing any buildings, so there’s no old one that I can “pawn” off on you…:wink: ).

I love it Ken. Just a correction on spelling, you have Vaggiano. Its Viggiano. Dont forget to put the snowshoes by the door.

David Russell said:

Looks good Cale not Cal. as Shawn calls you

Vanna, I’d like to buy a vowel.

:wink:

Nice work Ken.Don’t worry about that nitpicker, we know you are using a play on words with VAGrant and the name

Vaggiano, Now that’s funny:)

Dave, N.B., Marconi said:

Nice work Ken.Don’t worry about that nitpicker, we know you are using a play on words with VAGrant and the name

That’ll work!..:wink:

Dave, N.B., Marconi said:

That’ll work!..:wink:

Odd , I saw no nits being picked .

Anyway , proper , professional pickers wait until the job’s done and then introduce the other menace to modelling joy , The dreaded

“Youshuddadunitthisway” bug .

But I know that this will not come about with Ken’s build because it will be purely pretty , and well suited to grace the pages of this forum .

I would bet good money on that .

Mike (penniless and prone to make false promises)

Ken
This is looking good.
Do you have any updated pics.