Large Scale Central

Our 20.3 layout with lots of pictures

This is a rough plan of the layout. The triangle is approximately 300 feet by 250 feet by 380 feet. Minimum curves are 24 feet diameter. Turnouts are #6 minimum. All track is AMS code 250. Passing sidings will hold a 15 car train. 2% grades with the exception of about 140 feet of 4%. The rise of the RR from the lowest point to the summit will be close to 12 feet. I have done is the lower right to the temp connection. [url=http://img514.imageshack.us/i/203layout.jpg/]

[/url] Here is a overall view

This is the temp connection going up grade

Here it is looking the other way. At this point the RR has gained 6 feet in elevation.

This is the lowest part of the RR. I used Richard Smith’s table style where my towns are. The track leaving is the start of the 4% grade. It runs up to where the temp connection starts.

The track is about 4 feet off the ground at this point.

I scratch build my turnouts. I made a fixture to mill the frogs out of 1/4" brass stock. I have fixtures for #3, #4. #6 and #8 frogs. I have made some frogs for friends for code 332 also.

Here is the first train to run on phase 1. Is is a Berlyn K-37.

Here is one of the weighted Bachmann K-27 pulling the 4% grade

More of the K=27

I’m at the point that I need to move the semi trailer before I can do any more with the mainline. Rodney

Rodney, this is certainly a layout of an impressive size. But why make grades if you have an elevated track? Best, Zubi

Impressive!!
And when does the operating session start?..:wink:

Thanks for posting Rodney. I think it is time that you expose your work to the World. :wink: Great looking stuff as always. I have seriously been considering your PVC track post method for some ideas. Please state your wood choice on your ladder track construction. You and the others have had me thinking since you all left. :wink:

Very ambitious project. Impressive. How long did it take you to get the “bones” of the elevated base setup?

Looks great! Did you start work on your yard yet? :wink:

Are there trains stored in side of the semi trailer?

Glad to see it coming together Rodney, looks good!

Talk about a run and a half! Quite an impressive railroad. Should be great fun. Good possibility for helper service on that 4% grade too; something I wish I had room for.

Zubi
The lay of the land is why I have grades. There is 12 feet of elevation change.

Ken
The operating session can start when you get here.

Ric
PVC pipe is 2" and ladder wood is cedar from HD. The roadbed is 3/4" polystyrene insulation.
(the pink and blue stuff)

David
It has taken about a year to get this much done. I am a truck driver and only home about 2 days
a week, so it is goes pretty fast if you have the time.

Bruce
No, been trying to get the baggage car body done so I can get to the detail parts made and cast.

Sean
No trains in the trailer. I used it for storage for the last 10 years. Last fall I built a storage shed,
so it is empty and I am selling it.

Rodney

COOL!

I dug this back out to show some progress With the weather getting better I’ve done a little work on the layout. This is the town that is in the 4th picture and lower left on the track plan

(http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/5641/dscf1031n.jpg)

(http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/6558/dscf1032yg.jpg)

(http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/6657/dscf1033b.jpg)

Looks great!

Good work Rodney, thanks for the pictures.

Nice work Rodney. Nice layout too

Nice going for sure. Thanks for the update photos. Neato!

I’d forgotten your original post. That’s quite a railroad :smiley: Thanks for the update.

That is pretty fantastic. A multi folded dog bone !

Thanks for the update Rodney, that looks like it would be a fun layout to operate on. BTW you mentioned making frogs out of solid brass for code 332 what do you charge for them?

Chuck

I’m going to try to have this area done for the NGRC in June.
It’ll have a engine facility, Icing dock with warehouse, A industry
that will use wood from the sawmill. station with a freight house
and small yard.

I also want to get some mountain work done to give a idea of what
the scenery will look like.

I like lots of operation.

Rodney

Chuck
E-mail sent