Large Scale Central

Ortner Rapid Discharge Rock Car - My First Build Log

Dan I had a customer when I drove truck that was a wholesaler for abrasives, if you want I can ask him what he would suggest as best abrasives for plastic would be.

Dan,
That I cannot answer. However I can tell you that I decided to go on the cheap and put play sand in my glass beader instead of buying the glass bead material. It worked just as well if not better but what it did do was eat away at my tips on the beader gun like 4xs faster (which are replaceable).

Sure Pete I think that would be of interest to many of us.

For plastic models?
In the past, I have used baking soda to remove print from LGB boxcars. Since I now have a large box of walnut shell, I intend to test it and post results.

NO…Never tried it but I don’t think it would turn out very well.

I remember seeing your soda blasting with excellent results.

Well I did a bit of digging on this and actually learned quite a bit. All makes sense to me just never considered it for plastic but with experimentation I would be willing to bet the results might be very positive. Might have to play around with it myself now. Apparently you can also throw dry ice into the equation as well. lol
Used to use crushed walnut shells for cleaning BMW valves back in the day .

This is all Dan’s fault!

You can start here if you wish then decide if you wanna go from there.

Weathering?
So I gave the cars a coat of Krylon Flat Crystal Clear to seal the decals and it added a whitish haze. Not sure why this happened but I really like the faded effect.

Added the patches that hint the FEC heritage.

1 Like

Very nice. P&W put a few of these and two locos on the ground in Danbury last night. The Tilcon switch collapsed! The Housy came down with their leased switcher and dragged the locos back on the rail. Not sure what they will do with the loaded hopper that’s derailed. P&W used to have some cranes. We’ll see.

There is going to be a lot of full C&D debris cars waiting at Oak Ridge until they can get that switch rebuilt.

Funny you mention debris cars. I am also working on some open top c&d shipping containers that get loaded at the old Tilcon site in Wauregan.

I decided to go with the grey stained walnut shell for these cars. I shaped the foam into 2 hills, painted with grey acrylic paint and sprinkled on a layer of the shells. After dry, I added more shells and fixed with mod podge.

I really like the walnut shells. Prototypical size and easily stained to replicate coal or aggregate but half the weight!

4 Likes

That color is perfect and the size looks great too. Nice work!