Large Scale Central

Ortner Rapid Discharge Rock Car - My First Build Log

HOPPER GATES
I tend to cut most everything from 2mm and 3mm polystyrene sheet and layer parts as needed. My design of the discharge gates required about 5mm (2mm door and four 3mm braces). Rather than glue 96 braces to make up the gates on the 4 cars, I decided to use 5mm PVC instead. A drawback to PVC is that the deeper I cut, the rougher the surface due to the core of the material not being as solid as the outer faces. I’ll prime and maybe sand a bit but not gonna fret about it. In some cases, this can be considered an advantage since the texture can represent rust or concrete.

UNDERFRAME BRACES
To get the end detail I wanted on the cross braces, I printed them in resin

MORE UNDERSIDE DETAIL

I’m not very good at complex curves but the latches will look OK from a few feet away.
With a coat of paint you can see what I meant about the texture of the milled PVC.

In this diagram:

Green = FDM printed Pro PLA

Blue = CNC milled 5mm sheet PVC

Yellow = CNC milled 3mm polystyrene

Red = Resin printed 5:1 blend of Siraya Tech Fast & Tenacious

1 Like

Details are so over rated these days!

True. It’s only since I’ve been running at shows on the NHGRS “Big Green” that I’ve been adding the underside detail that’s visible at table height. :laughing:

Especially bottom details, unless you are like me and derail often, and spectacularly

BEARING CAPS
Just for fun, I’m painting the bearing end caps blue to represent Brenco Class K ones. I was going to use the Cricut to cut masks but decided instead to cut them from 1mm styrene with the CNC. With a 9.1mm hole, the masks press fit nicely.

2 Likes

COUPLERS
The bolsters are designed to receive #907 couplers with #911 Gearboxes intended for truck mounting. I body mounted them inverted and secured with my custom 3d printed “washer” I have used for many cars.

Got them painted and I’ve started applying decals.

7 Likes

They turned out great!!!

LOADS
I did not bother with slope sheets or any other inside detail since all of these cars will have permanent loads. I’ve started shaping scraps of 2” foam insulation. These cars are typically loaded with a payloader so I should probably have 2 peaks.

Crushed oyster shell (3/32" screened) for rock?

1 Like

Let’s see how they roll!

4 Likes

I passed by the Tilcon Danbury Stone Terminal today and there were a number of these with loads on the siding. I noted that the load seemed higher than I’ve noticed before, and yes two long peaks and not at all symmetrical on center or at the ends. If I’d known you would be interested I could have snapped a picture!

No worries Jon, There are many pics of these cars at Plainfield.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/rsPicture.aspx?road=TLTX&aid=H350

More Load experiments
When I posted progress on FB, @Nick_Savatgy suggested dyed crushed walnut shell from Scenic Express as he uses it on his club modules.
I found a 25lb box of natural at my local HF for $15.

My first 2 attempts were using RIT fabric dye I had on hand. I thought I could get a grey color with the dye but nope.

• Natural
  • Charcoal grey RIT dye 3 hours
  • Black RIT dye 15 mins
  • Rust Oleum weathered grey stain 3 hours

Pretty happy with the stain. I’m seriously considering redoing the ballast on my NHGRS modules. The largest pieces are about 2.2mm (2.5" in 1:29)

Also, curious to see how well this media works vs baking soda in my blaster.

1 Like

The color of Tilcon stone is pretty unique to the area where the quarries are. If I get stone from the local O&G distribution center, its got a lot of red in it, where the Tilcon stone is a very nice slate grey.

If you want some genuine stuff, Tilcon sells what they call Stone Sand. It is is crusher fines about 3/16" down to dust. When strained it looks perfect for ballast size rock in our scales. I buy it by the half ton. I could send you a flat rate box full. It’s heavy, so you would want to fill most of the hopper void with foam.

1 Like

Thanks for the offer Jon, but my local quarry sells 3/16" minus for $18/ton. Free if I just scoop up what falls off the trucks as they exit the quarries. :laughing: That’s what I will use for my outdoor layout but I was intrigued by the walnut shell. It’s very lightweight so I think it would be good for loads and modules. I like to try different methods and materials. I also played with dyeing oyster shell.

Beautiful work , next level .

2 Likes

Well I’m just saying that’s all !

Crushed walnut shells have been used in the automotive industry for quite sometime. You do know there are different grit sizes and can be purchased in bulk?

Yes, the box I bought is intended for that purpose. They have other grits as well. I’m curious as to how effective it will for removing graphics and/or paint from plastic G scale models.