Large Scale Central

Ortner Rapid Discharge Rock Car - My First Build Log

I’m hoping by showing the progress publicly it will help me stay focused to complete the project in a timely manner. I welcome all questions/comments/suggestions as I am always looking to improve methods and materials.

Not sure how others have prepared before posting build logs but I have most of the parts for 4 cars milled and printed so I guess this will be more akin to kit assembly.

So here goes…

SIDES
The side walls are cut from 2mm(0.08in) polystyrene sheet. Top rail, Sill, Posts and braces were milled from 3.1mm(1/8”) PS sheet on my CNC router machine.
I attached the top rail first as the posts and braces are notched to slip under the channel. This also acts as a guide to square up each piece. Since it is all PS the Tamiya cement works great.

4 Likes

Dan, thanks for doing so!

I’ve always found a build log to be a great motivator, once started. After that, there’s a couple weeks of “Oh crap, why did I do that?!?” But once I adjust my other life priorities around the project, everything is fine. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I’m very much looking forward to seeing more on how you make your magic happen!!

Cliff

Great idea on the notched posts. I’m sure this one will be pretty awesome, just like your others!

If I was modeling 1:29 these would be perfect for me as we have a stone distribution plant near me that gets a string of 40 of these every night that I could model!

Thanks Jon!, I actually came across these cars while visiting an HO scale layout tour. The gentleman models the P&W and had quite a few of them. Since my proto freelance 1:29 railroad (Nipmuc and Shetucket) serves a number of quarries in the Northeast CT region, I had to have them!

Cool. They come up here on the P&W Sun-Fri nights in a 40 car unit train running push pull. They use Metro North’s track from Cedar Hill yard via S. Norwalk to Tilcon Danbury. Tilcon has two tracks, 20 loaded hoppers each delivered, 40 empties end up back in Branford where Tilcon’s short line, the Branford Steam Railroad serves the quarry & interchanges with P&W.

I have a video of them running around the balloon track at Danbury where Metro North ties into the Housatonic RR. Here is a Vimeo link if it works…

P&W CT-2 Squeals through the balloon track at Danbury from Jon Radder on Vimeo.

Be following along and watching this develop! These style of cars seem to be a east coast thing as I’ve never seen any of them out here on the west coast.

ENDS
Ends are 2mm PS sheet. I could have drilled the holes for the grabs with the CNC but forgot so I 3d printed a template and used a pin vise. Grabs bent from 1.2mm brass wire using just a hole drilled 15mm from the end of a scrap of aluminum bar stock.

OL LOGO
I should mention the cars I am modeling will be patched to reflect the leased cars found here in the Northeast.

One thing I thought was cool is the Florida Operation Lifesaver graphic was retained. I went poking around the interwebs in search of the art and came upon a custom T-shirt on Etsy. I decided that would be the best starting point and also support a small business so purchased the shirt. Scanned and edited with Corel Paint Shop Pro.

3 Likes

Cool. Your prototype is a Tilcon car. There are a bunch parked near me 10 months of the year if you need any more pictures. I don’t think I can get close enough to measure anything unless they outlaw in Danbury which happens every once in a while.

I vote for an action video of Jon jumping the fence and taking a measurement or two from the Tilcon car for Dan, hopefully with flashing red and blue lights in the distance. Anyone else feel the same?

I think the only thing Jon will be jumping is “to conclusions”.

Thanks for the offer Jon. About a month ago I was scoping out the Tilcon plant at North Branford but unfortunately, there is really no good vantage point and I forgot the drone. I found out later that there is a good chance to catch these cars on a siding before the lead to the Pine Orchard dock.
The road to the dock

As far as this model is concerned, I think I’m good with the Mainline Modeler article from Feb '88.

1 Like

I can see him going under maybe…

I’ll bet Jon could do the fence… Well, more so than me!

I’m seeing a new Netflix or Amazon series here… older heavier dudes desperate for that proto info, willing to take their lives into their own hands to get those photos or measurements… almost getting something amputated while working in the undercarriage… doing an emergency Rooster shout-out…

It’ll be better than Longmire! :grin: :grinning:

FLOOR/UNDERFRAME
The hopper and end platforms cut from 1/8” PS. 3d printed plastic bolsters are slipped into a length of ½” square metal tube and fastened with 4 #2 3/8” screws.

Added brass grabs. When marking locations for drilling, I like to use the calipers rather than drawing lines. A have a half dozen of these so I will lock a few at the measurements needed for the current project and those sharp points mark the styrene quite nicely.

Ends are cemented to the floor.

2 Likes

Glued up the sides. These cars will get loads so no need to model slope sheets or any other inside hopper detail. I’ll likely just add cleats to support the load.

HOPPER GATES
3d printed a basic “shell” that straddles the center beam. Bondo spot putty applied to the outside faces and sanded smooth since they will be visible. I’ve found each can be loaded with 3oz of BB’s for weight.

1 Like

Oh poo. I’ve never seen them from above and wondered if they are square bottomed or slopped. Guess that means they are sloped.

Hi Dan,

Just a quick note to say I’m watching, following and (hopefully) learning as well. Thanks for posting.

Cheers
Neil

2 Likes

END PLATFORMS
This is something I believe the FDM printers do exceptionally well.

SAFETY RAILS
I used a slightly beefier 1.5mm brass for these with angles milled from 3mm PS. Nice thing about having a CNC is I can make styrene strips as needed instead of purchasing Plastruct or Evergreen with the added bonus of cutting each to length.