Large Scale Central

Orbisonia in G scale

Randy Lehrian Jr. said:
. . . . .

Glad you guys are all so interested in this, I’d really like to make it happen. It’s Mt. Union that scares me, that is a ton of dual gauge switchwork!

You mean like this ?

Since you brought up dual gauge; what is your plan for track gauge? Will 45MM represent 3Foot in 1:20.3 and then use a broader gauge for Standard Gauge or the other way around? I have briefly considered a dual gauge section. I think there there are some trucks around in 70MM to represent Standard gauge in 1:20.3.

Gary, Funny you mention that. When I was drawing my version from the maps I have, I kept thinking based on the geometry and lengths of things that the actual switches were probably right around #8 to begin with. Of course that made it harder to get things to look right when your shrinking length but not width. I’ll definitely be checking that too!

Yes Pete, just like that. I may have nightmares tonight of flying frogs and crippled arthritic fingers after gazing at your photo today. Scary!

John, Yes the 45mm will represent the 3ft Keeping the scale of things Fn3. I’ll lay the third rail at 70mm for the standard gauge. I guess I’ll end up building at least a few standard gauge cars at 1:20.3 to sit in the yard and make things look correct. Heh, I wouldn’t even rule out a 1:20.3 scale #3 or #6 to shuffle those cars. (some distant day)

This brings up an interesting question, Would you call a standard gauge loco done at 1:20.3 scale running on 70mm track Fn3? Don’t anybody stay up too late scratching your head over that one.

Not Fn3, just F scale. Fn3 means “F scale, 3’ narrow gauge” Just like HOn3 is “HO scale, 3’ narrow gauge”

I think that 70mm is gauge 3. Or something close to that. The n in Fn means narrow gauge, like Bob said.

I was wrong, gauge 3 is 63.5mm.

Yeah Guys, I guess that should of been more obvious. I think I’m going to skip a drawing of Mount Union for now, as I can figure the size and shape that it will turn out after doing Orbisonia. I’m going to move on to the Robertsdale area and a area for everything between the Rocky ridge wye and Sideling hill tunnel.

For a nice overview of the real thing go to

googlemaps Orbisonia,Pa

It shows how everything is laid out today

Bill

Randy, check out Cumberland Model Engineering for F scale standard gauge.

http://www.cumberlandmodelengineering.com

Randy Lehrian Jr. said:

. . .

Yes Pete, just like that. I may have nightmares tonight of flying frogs and crippled arthritic fingers after gazing at your photo today. Scary!

. . . .

I think the D&RGW (who had even more dual gauge track) described the construction as “two frogs and a toad”.

P.S. I already have one of the Iron Creek std gauge boxcars - but it is running on 3’ gauge trucks!

Randy,

This the first I’ve looked at this thread. Fantastic and I must say ambitious.

Chester Louis said:

Randy, check out Cumberland Model Engineering for F scale standard gauge.

http://www.cumberlandmodelengineering.com

Thanks Chester. I knew someone did standard gauge in 1:20.3, I just could not remember who.

Thanks Bill, Google maps is great. I even found this little gem:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=zZ9oYgcbWAWU.k0DUapTF5HgQ

Chester, I thank you too for the Cumberland link. I’ve stumbled across that sit long ago, but it certianly has quite a bit more value these days. He even sells dual gauge tie strips and dual gauge turnout jigs. Score! Mount union just got a little easier.

Pete, I don’t thing there would be a better way to say it than “two frogs and a toad”. Love the Iron Creek boxcar. If I manage to pull this off you can drop by and give it a spin on standard gauge trucks. Although I plan to model 1927, I think a time warp could be arranged at the timber transfer.

Thanks Ric, What can I say, I don’t like to sit around.

Randy,

Are you familiar with Don Niday and David Queener? They are big in dual gauge F scale. Also great guys to work with and a good source of F scale standard gauge info, knowledge and parts.

Check out -http://www.ironcreekshops.com/

Randy,

I don’t think your that crazy, as one of the towns I want to model ends up being something in the 50-60’ by 15’ range if I simply model the buildings without selective compression. That includes a feed mill that covers a 6’x7’ footprint. Personally, I’d rather model less and have everything in scale (little to no selective compression, properly sized turnouts #9’s and #11’s) than have everything look toylike by compressing it so much. I’d say start planning and building for Orbisonia and see where it gets you! With the yard and shop buildings it would provide plenty of operations (if you like that).

I dont think its nuts, either. Id love to do the entire ELW Harlem Station railroad. It was about 480x350 feet. Thats less than 25’ on each side, in 1:29.

http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloco/errhs.html

Most of the switches on the EBT are #8s. I’ve measured a few of them in the yard, and looking at Google Maps, the majority of them appear to have identical geometry.

On the model, I’d be tempted to go with #6 switches. That gives you just that much more room to play with, and since you’re compressing the yard, it might play better into the geometry. Operationally, they work very well, even with long equipment like passenger cars and mikados.

Later,

K

Very cool project, and not at all crazy if you have the space, money and time for it!

Thanks Ric, Great stuff, and filed away for future use.

Thanks Craig and Bob, I’ll be sure to show your post to my wife to confirm my complete sanity. Of course I’ll have to encourage both of you to go ahead with your respective ideas, and… post lost of pictures!

That’s great news Kevin. I have one #7 switch that I’ve built already. Perhaps I’ll stay with 7’s so It helps compression a bit and looks pretty darn close.

Ray, If I stay focused the next year or two, I should have all 3 in adequate quantity. So, I’ll count that as one more vote for sane.

I’m almost done with my drawing for Sideling Hill tunnel to Robertsdale. Having lots of fun researching how the tracks were. Just found a great article on the Joller branch in the Timber Transfer Quarterly. Stay tuned.

@Kevin - As you seem to be the most knowledgeable on EBT I will point this question at you. In Pete T’s photo of the dual gauge track, referencing the left hand most through stock rail, why are there three separate guard rails for the three frogs in stead of one continuous guard rail.

I believe that the “extra” guard rail is placed before and after the normal location to keep the trucks from “Kicking” out if there was a problem going thru the points. This was usually done when there was less then best track work or less then best wheel sets running thru.

I could be wrong thou.