Large Scale Central

Orbisonia in G scale

Submitted for your review are the results of the first leg of my feasibility study to determine if I can some day model the EBT from Mt Union to Robertsdale / Woodvale. (1:20.3 scale of course) My thought process is that The two hardest/Largest parts would be Orbisonia and Mt.Union. These would be hard due to the size and complexity of the track. I figure, if I can come up with a reasonably compressed yet believable plan for each, its just a matter of orientation and then to fill in the space between.

Depending on where you land your points the actual yard measures 1,400 feet which scales to 69 feet in Fn3. My version compresses this to 41.5 feet long by 27.5 feet. One weirdness that I can see but will live with is that although all the shops and buildings are compressed, the turn table and roundhouse are not. (for obvious reasons) This may make the round house look a bit big by comparison. Another spot I’d like to fix is the bottom yard track switch at the left. I’ll move it back and turn it into a curved switch. I just was not going to draw that with the cad program that I’ve been using for this. It’s the worst one Iv’e ever used in my career! Sliding that switch back will help the look of that area and maybe allow for the addition of one more track below. What do you guys think?

Oh yeah, All switches are #8 except the three noted as #4. All the radii are 96" or more.

![|883x588](http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/nutznbolts/Orby in G.png)

Ambitious to say the least. How far does the yard extend beyond the edge of the drawing to the right? And what else is there on that end?

Randy, Nice drawing…

I do believe you have captured the essense of the Orbisonia Yard area…

You could probably do way with the Wye at the bottom to save some space since the turntable can just as easily turn your engines around. I think the Wye was intended to save time turning the passenger trains.

I hope you have a large yard. …:wink:

Bob, My dreams are often hard for me to keep up with. Actually Orbisonia station would start just at the edge of where the photo stops and I do have it on the drawing, but the freightshed software seems to be cutting it off. But after the station the tracks just keep condensing down to one pretty rapidly.

Thanks Andy, I think it can work. I’m just a little scared to start drawing Mt.Union !

Ken, The Wye was the beginning of the Shade Gap branch and at minimum I would leave space for it to be added if I ever get to adding that branch. But I really think it helps complete the look of the yard even if it goes no where for a while. My plan is that every thing would be at 36 or greater height through the use of islands or dug out walk ways. Of course the fine details will all depend on the topography of the new property. If I have these predrawn I can plunk them down and rotate them to suit. We are planning on moving in the next year or two to a 3 to 5 acre property.

Randy - I hope you are able to accomplish this - I would love to see it built. I know several who have done it indoors in the smaller scales, but so far I’ve not heard of anyone attempting more then a few scenes outdoors.

I think your drawing is good. In the shops building areas do you have enough clearance for the tracks to be operational through the buildings and along side the boiler house? That looks a bit tight to me.

Regarding your cut off picture; the forum software limits the width to 800 pixels. If you insert that value in the Image Size box the software will shrink the picture for you…

One last thing… NO commercial switches. They’ve got to be stub switches - ESPECIALLY the 3-way :slight_smile:

That looks like a fine plan with tons of switching FUN.

but it sure is big.

If you are looking to compress it a bit I would start with the 5 tracks above the WYE and reduce them to 4.or even 3.

Also that 3 way switch is expensive to buy and tough to build so why have it beyond it is neat?

You could also tighten up the overall foot print by swinging the turntable down so the roundhouse is closer to the red building on the right.

You could also “skew” the WYE to have the turning leg go right or left.

Just some thoughts…

Daktah John said:

One last thing… NO commercial switches. They’ve got to be stub switches - ESPECIALLY the 3-way :slight_smile:

Of course! Anything less would be blasphemy! That and I’m way too cheap to buy all those #8 switches. I’ll be using code 250 Alum rail and hand-laying all the switches.

Like I said, this is going to be 2 to 2 1/2 years before any dirt get moved and track starts going down, but I want to be ready. I’ll start just by laying the main line through so I can get trains running. The drawing ensures that I’ll allocate enough real estate for the rest when I come back.

The clearances in the shops are very tight but should be workable. I measured my 12 and a 3 bay hopper to verify. I’ll also be keeping those shop walls thin to help. Of course things might grow just a titch to help if issues do arise. Plans were meant to be revised.

Thanks for posting my whole pic. Looks like you even compressed it another foot or two. :wink:

Todd, All very good ways to get things smaller and more manageable, but this drawing already represents almost a 50% reduction in size from the original. The buildings are maybe 60-70% smaller. Also I’m already leaving out a track or two in the yard, so we were already thinking along the same lines. It’s just a matter of where our personal lines are. To me the orientation of the track and structures is very important to capturing the feel of this magical place. Barring economic conditions in my life going to heck, I think this will be manageable for me. I already have enough brand new rail and tie strips in a box to do the entire yard, but not much more!

I recommend that you add some track to the tail of the wye, at least a locomotive’s worth, otherwise, why have it?

When you finally get around to laying the mainline, install the turnouts for tracks that leave the maineline, so you won’t have to disturb it, later. You won’t regret it.

You can use 60 inch radius curves in the wye, thereby reducing its footprint.

I like your plan. Using Layout Design Elements sure makes things easier, doesn’t it?

Not to mention, stub switches are a lot easier to build. And PNG sells 3-way harp stands…

Bob “IA3R#7” Cope said:

Ambitious to say the least. How far does the yard extend beyond the edge of the drawing to the right? And what else is there on that end?

Nice drawing indeed.

The tracks on the right are passenger load/unload at the station, as well as the mainline and lead for the wye. I think there were/are two tracks in front of the station.

There is only one 3-way stub switch, to my knowledge. It’s a very nice one though.

Thanks Steve, your reading my mind on everything but the wye. That’s going to have to stay at the whopping 144" radius that is is. Just for proper aesthetics. That’s why I wanted to draw it and see just how big it would have to be to look right. And Yes, a good plan/drawing before hand is invaluable to any project.

Ah Ken, now I have to add those 2 feet back! Good tip on the stands. I didn’t know that. I’ll be checking out PNG’s site.

Pete, Quite right, only one three way amongst the stub switches in the yard. I do believe there are normal switches with points on the main though. I’ll spend a few minuets on my first trip out this spring to verify witch switches are where.

One book I was just reading was emphatically claiming that " the EBT did use stub switches in yards but you would never find them on the main because they did things correctly" (paraphrased)

@Ken - Thanks. I thought that the size box would retain the aspect ratio if I just plugged in the 800. Obviously it does not. I always resize at home before uploading so I wasn’t too familiar with using that box.

@Pete - That’s the one!

@Randy - I should know this, but I don’t recall which track is the main. Is it the second or the third from the bottom? I kind of agree with Steve, but if you know the exact length of your future switches you could also just cut the rails where the switch would go giving you a future drop-in option. Personally; I’d build in some kind of pad for the switch. Most of mine are on concrete pads except the newest which was built from PVC ladder roadbed.

John, Absolutely I’m going to install the main switches when I lay the track. I only disagreed with Steve’s suggestion to use a smaller radius on the wye legs. I also aggre with you suggestion on the concrete. In fact, I will probably do the whole main yard area in concrete. Also a pad for the round house.

As for the main track, it’s the one that is closest to the car shop. (biggest building) The yard today actually has six tracks. Although the 6th may have been added for the trolley museum. I’m not sure. So for my version I’d like to ,as I said in the first pot, move the left end switch back and make it curved. This I think will let me squeeze in a fourth reasonable looking yard track.

Glad you guys are all so interested in this, I’d really like to make it happen. It’s Mt. Union that scares me, that is a ton of dual gauge switchwork!

I wouldn’t worry about Mt. Union - I think you’ll be busy for a very long time on Rockhill Furnace / Orbisonia :slight_smile:

3 way with harp stand.

Nice 3 way Ken! Not that you see a 3-way switch every day but one with uneven frogs #'s is even more of a rare bird.

John don’t worry, Orby won’t slow me down. I’m not planning on doing the buildings until all the main line track and a good portion of the sidings and yards are done. I’ll probably start building switches before we move to get a head start and ward of insanity. I’ll start with rebuilding some Llagas Creek #4’s I have, for the three #4’s I’m using in Orbisonia. Buildings? Those ought to be easy, Plywood batten boards and lots of corrugated tin!

While on your visit there you might want to measure some of the switches where you are planning on using #8’s. I measured a few many years ago and don’t remember finding any that long, most were in the 4 to 6 range if my memory is any good but it was a long time ago.