Large Scale Central

Operations on the J&B RR - Now with TrainOps!

Well, a very special operations session this morning. Nice cool weather, and some very interesting movements. We started with Train#2 in Green Springs Yard. This time the yard was almost empty and it was pretty easy to build the train.

One of the more interesting problems was one that sounds easy - a trailing point switch, but limited room. We had to move one car from Matheson Textiles to Miracle Chair (that’s a facing switch), then pick up 2 cars at Matheson Textiles, and drop off two cars.

Train orders called for us to make sure that the drop offs were put near the building. There’s not a LOT of room when you’re moving all of these cars around.

And even though we’re operating, we still get to enjoy watching a train run.

So, what made today special? Well, it was the first live test of TrainOps! What’s TrainOps? It’s a program Bob has been working on that will generate switch lists and other reports keyed towards operations outdoors. I’ve been testing it for some time now and today I felt confident enough to use it for my operations. It’s pretty easy to set up, and even easier to generate traffic. The program has lots of variability and randomness; but you have lots of control. It’s aimed more at the LS railroader (or is that LSC? :wink: ) rather than the guy that might have 300 cars and 30 locomotives, though I don’t doubt it could handle that. One handy item is a setup list that tells me where each of my cars should be placed prior to running trains.

Then, I have a switch list for each of my trains. I get a choice in formats. The first is a simplistic format that is set up a lot like the switch lists I had built manually in MS Word.

The second format is based upon the prototype.

It’s easy to switch between the two, so I had printed one of each for each train. One unusual item Bob added was train orders. You can have them set up by train, by location (town) or by industry. Here’s a sample of one that I have for two industries in Jackson; they have been combined into one train order.

I was really excited about using this today and it worked great. I hope to see a final version soon.

Well, that’s cool!!!

Kewl! Is that the same one Fred and Ric use?

No, we use RailOPs. But always open to suggestions. :wink:

Ah, that’s right…sorry , I was cornfused…:wink:

Yes, I looked at RailOp, but felt is was too complex for my small railroad. Not only that, but when I first tried it, I couldn’t even get it to build a train.

TrainOps is really designed for the small outdoor railroad. It may not have all the bells and whistles that RailOp does, but it provides the basic functions and reports that I need to conduct a successful operations session. It is easy to setup and to use.

Bruce:

Thanks for the great detailed report. TrainOps looks like it would fulfill my needs.

I’ve previously used a car card routing system in smaller scales, but the newer software based routing and switch list generators seem to be more in line with ‘prototype-style operations.’ I want to try it.

Bob McCowan:

I went to the LSC software / TrainOps page, but don’t see a way to purchase it. How can downloadable software be “Sold Out?” :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

What am I missing?

I also see that TrainOps has a Windows installer, but doesn’t say what Windows version(s) are supported. My platform is a MacBook running OS X 10.5.4, with VMware Fusion 1.1.3 running Windows XP Pro, SP3. Can I expect TrainOps to run there?

Happy RRing,

Jerry

Sounds like this just might work for the POC. Thanks much Bruce for the in use rundown. Please keep us informed and let us know when, where and how much! Thanx

Richard, you’ll have to talk with Bob. I’m just a runner.