Large Scale Central

Official VOTING for Mik's Build Challenge 2020

Voting for your Favorite 

Mik’s Build Challenge 2019 build.

Voting for your favorite build from this years build challenge is simple.
Voting is open to any member in good standings on LSC.

FIRST: Goto the thread “ 2020 Mik's Build challenge Entrants Photos for voting” 

and look over all the great builds.

http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/30281/2020-mik-s-build-challenge-entrants-photos-for-voting

SECOND: Come back to this thread and post your votes:

If you choose to vote in private e-mail me at [email protected]

There is ONLY ONE thing to vote on, Your favorite!
For whatever the reason is doesn't matter.
You set your own criteria.
Please list your choices for: 1st., 2nd., and 3rd.

Voting will end at sunup ( really more like when I drag me lazy as$ out of bed) on 

Tuesday the 24th of Feb. Thats 7 days and a weekend.

Wow! So hard to make a choice.

After some deliberation, I have to go with Dennis’, the lighting, the textures and the great weathering effects just took it to the next level.

But, I have to say it was close with Devon, Dave, Bill, Chris, Neal, Rick, and John C (John please keep us updated as you finish this).

Congrats to all on fine models, and we still miss you Mik!

#1 Dennis

#2 Chris

#3 John C

Greg

#1 - Dennis Rayon

#2 - Rick Marty

#3 - Devon “I can’t believe he actually finished something” Sinsley

#1 John C

#2 Dan H

#3 Devon S

1: Dennis Rayon

2: Rick Marty

3: Chris Kieffer

with huge props to Eric and family, Devon, John C (can’t wait to see this finished), and Dan (ditto)

Have to agree with Greg, Wow! really hard to decide but #1 Dennis Rayon for his over the top welding supply think he touched on all facets of build materials, wood, block, different brick, block you name it and it was on his model, #2 could have been 1 of several but think I will have to side with Dave Taylor so much stone work, and 3rd if for no reason than I have never seen a ice house on any g scale railroad before, is Devon’s, it was an education in it’s self. Think the best tribute to MIK was Neal Peterson’s “post” the chimney really made it, Rick Marty’s train station really took me back in time. I was really looking forward to Vic build but guess I’ll have to view it during this year, something to look forward to, Was sorry to see John P withdraw and not sure whether he finished or not just because it didn’t say but what was there was beautiful, Gregory’s farm house looks like it will be quite grand more like the land barons house, and will have to say Lou Luczu’s pencil factory is the one an only one I have ever seen and looks like it was built for a specific spot, Dan Hilyer should get a award for the most hi-tech with is emulate 3D build, want to see pictures when done, John Caughey’s I wasn’t sure if he finished or not and not sure what the building was but it was neat as hell the use of everyday stuff to make things puts him right up there with Dennis and Dave I will say it was educational as I had to look up what Lapidary was, boy I’m getting smart. And I guess last but certainly not least there is the Mueller clan, can’t say enough about Eric and his kids, needs an award for best group effort, great build. If I missed any one I do apologize trying to do this from memory, Oh Chris Kieffer gas station was right up at the top also, had the only front porch that was a good as mine. Thanks to every one I had a great time, Bill

Very nice builds. Hard to decide…

1- Dennis Rayon

2- Dave Taylor

3- John Caughey

Jason

Ah man, hard to decide but…

#1. Dennis Rayon… I’m an absolute sucker for small insanely detailed buildings.

#2. Chris Kieffer. See #1

And the really hard choice…

#3. Bill Barnwell. That was a terrific repurpose of something we normally don’t think of as serious model making materials.

Dave and Chris Mueller were just behind Bill.

#1 Dennis Rayon

#2 John Caughey

#3 Devon Sinsley

my vote depends on two thoughts:

• would i like to have that building on my layout? (well, in this case i asked myself as well, would my daughters have put it on their playmobil/faller train playtable?)

• is it really in the MIK spirit?

1. Mama’s Bakery No Ka Oi by: Clan Mueller

built with sticks and leftovers, fitting perfect into the layout, it is destined to.

1. Denray Welding Supply

yessir, that i would put on my layout anytime.

1. Neal S - Peterson Post Newspaper HQ.

another one, that would be nice to have on my layout.

special mention of John Caughey - Stone Assay Office.

the windows and the bottles are real MIK!

even if MIK never would have made something like this, special mention of Leroy’s Transfer & Warehouse - Dan Hilyer

a building of this size 3D-printed… that is pioneer work!

(to tell the truth, most of this year’s buildings would be welcome on my layout. but that’s voting…)

As always how does one chose. But here are my Top three

Dennis Rayon

Chris Keiffer

Dave Taylor

1. Eric Mueller - Mama’s Bakery. A family affair and it looks like they had a lot of fun building it!

2. Tim - Russian Orthodox Church. Trial and error, built from scraps and leftovers and placed in a seedy part of town. And yes, I spotted Waldo!

3. Lou Luczo - Hole In One Golf Pencil Company. Procured parts from other guys’ leftovers and stuff that was laying around. Glamour shots = +1.

#1 Dennis Rayon - Denray Welding Supply

#2 Chris Kieffer - Gilmore’s Gas Station

#3 Rick Marty - Bayside Station

I rolled the dice sorta …

1. Clan Mueller

2. Chris Got Gas

3. Rick’s rural Station

or …

or …

or … .

Thanks Everybody!

Really hard to choose this year, but here goes:

1. Dennis

2. John C.

3. Devon

As difficult as it may be, it must be done so here goes:

1. Dennis Rayon

2. Rick Marty

3. Devon Sinsley

Lots of fantastic entries. My pics, though, are the ones that intrigued me the most…

1 - Eric Mueller - Mamas Bakery Na Ko Oi. I liked the team effort put into this one. ‘Eldest Daughter’ in particular shows great potential.

2 - John Passaro - Signal Tower. True, he didn’t finish, but I was extremely impressed with what he did accomplish, despite having to start over.

3 - Victor Smith - because that much work deserves recognition.

After the first round of voting, the jury deadlocked. Unless Judge Dave orders us to come to a unanimous decision, I am going to break out the votes by participant (Kid-zilla has to wait to vote until next year when he gets a later bed time).

1. CINCHOUSE
  2. Rick Marty’s Bayside Station
  3. Dan Hilyer’s Leroy’s Transfer Station
  4. Todd Haskins’ Switch Shack
  5. Spirit: Chris Kiefer’s Gas Station1. Yours Truly
  6. Dennis Rayon’s Denray Welding Supply
  7. Devon Sinsley’s Pepper’s Ice Co.
  8. John Caughey’s Stone Assay Office
  9. Spirit: Tim’s Orthodox Shrine1. Oldest Daughter
  10. Devon Sinsley’s Pepper’s Ice Co.
  11. Dave Tayolor’s Paul Cozza Blacksmith
  12. John Caughey’s Stone Assay Office
  13. Spirit: Tim’s Orthodox Shrine1. Youngest Daughter
  14. Dave Tayolor’s Paul Cozza Blacksmith
  15. Rick Marty’s Bayside Station
  16. Bill Barnwell’s Cracker House
  17. Spirit: Tim’s Orthodox Shrine1. Oldest Son
  18. Dan Hilyer’s Leroy’s Transfer Station
  19. Tim’s Orthodox Shrine
  20. John Caughey’s Stone Assay Office
  21. Spirit: No vote cast

CINCHOUSE summed it up best when she said, “These are all really good!” and everyone marveled at the techniques, materials, and, in Tim’s case, shear tenacity. Our near unanimity on the spirit award reflected our appreciation for Tim’s shared efforts to be part of this hobby when every “deal” always comes with the caveat “offer not valid in Hawaii and Alaska.” The divisions elsewhere were a reflection of individual weighting of factors like complexity, theme, and personal taste.

Good luck to all who participated!

Clan Mueller

Like I mentioned on someones build thread, we may have to have more than just a winner, we may need catagories for different winners next year. the quality and skill and materials used this year are very impressive. Everyone should be proud of what they accomplished and my hats off to all that entered. So , drum roll…

#1 John C. the stone work is awesome and the use of bottles jars and medical supplies are very MIK.

#2 Eric and Family, well should be family and Eric as supervisor. Great job on the bakery all!

#3 John P. stone carving walls and such close in work is great.

Honorable mention Dan Hilyer. The use of a new technology for almost everything, including a tool to make roofing is just way cool.

Every build I would be proud to place on my RR, so if anyone changes their mind please send to Pete Lassen… awesome job everyone !!!

Enjoyed watching them all but the two that really caught my eye were Chris and Dennis. John was 3rd as I loved the stone work and the interior. Of course I always enjoy watching the Mueller kids work (and it keeps getting better)! Congratulations to all those that entered…great work all around!

1…Dennis Rayon

2…Chris Kieffer

3…John Caughey

4…Spirit of Mik …Mueller Crew!!