Large Scale Central

Oakhill

Hehe

Jon’s ears must have been burning last night Bob!

I told ya’ he continues to blame Ken!

He was manning the throttle and running forward. Not the conductors problem. If he’d been shoving I would have called out 3 cars, 2 cars, 1 car, 20 feet, 10 feet, OH CRAP! I guess that will do.

Ballast and walkway has been (mostly) installed. Enough for TrainOps, anyway.

(http://i.imgur.com/5HACE36l.png)

(http://i.imgur.com/DqWNuShl.png)

(http://i.imgur.com/d1WQ2ycl.png)

(http://i.imgur.com/CoWVsRDl.png)

And a stepover in the same area.

(http://i.imgur.com/ZfB0NzMl.png)

Looks good Bob!

Ballast should set up nicely, as I hear we have 2-4in of heavy rain headed our way, of course!

Lookin’ good! Must be nice, Bob, to have so much room.

Looks great. Too bad Ken won’t be here to test the end-of track boulders to see if they are heavy enough!

Glad the rain is coming tonight and not on the weekend. Our forecast is for clearing and cool starting Thursday morning and lasting through the weekend. I hope Mass is the same.

Oak Hill proved to be a challenge to switch and it was tried many times during the Ops. Like most puzzles, thinking ahead, knowing the capacity of each track and looking for the moves that if done in the wrong order will block your timely execution are always the key.

Bob led a discussion of maybe considering some more operational changes in this area. This will prove to be a source of much discussion over the next year.

Ric Golding said:

Oak Hill proved to be a challenge to switch and it was tried many times during the Ops. Like most puzzles, thinking ahead, knowing the capacity of each track and looking for the moves that if done in the wrong order will block your timely execution are always the key.

Bob led a discussion of maybe considering some more operational changes in this area. This will prove to be a source of much discussion over the next year.

Nice to see a personal observation on the new track work.

Would you mind putting up a switch list for an armchair op session Bob ? Track area with capacities will help.

I like working out what others talk about, and it usually leads to a good discussion here. But make it a separate thread if you will.

Dave, N.B., Marconi said:

Ric Golding said:

Nice to see a personal observation on the new track work.

Would you mind putting up a switch list for an armchair op session Bob ? Track area with capacities will help.

I like working out what others talk about, and it usually leads to a good discussion here. But make it a separate thread if you will.

Great idea!

I took one of the Oakhill locals. The work load must have been light, or just the right mix because I don’t remember having too much trouble. But maybe Andy was suggesting moves - he could switch a spaghetti bowl!

I like Dave’s idea for some discussion. Perhaps one location at a time; a track plan, photo and a switch list would be good.

How much work Oakhill is depends on how many cars are already there, and how you have your train blocked.

Anyway, here’s the trackplan, with industry names, and total car capacities. And a switchlist for the Oakhill turn.

There are 4 cars already at Anson DePance, two at Boye-Dinn Oil, and a hopper at the coal dump. Assume you cannot leave any cars at the top of the hill at Majestic.

Took me a second or 2 to see the humor in the names. Had me wondering there who you knew with a name like Anson DePance…:wink:

Bob McCown said:

How much work Oakhill is depends on how many cars are already there, and how you have your train blocked.

Anyway, here’s the trackplan, with industry names, and total car capacities. And a switchlist for the Oakhill turn.

There are 4 cars already at Anson DePance, two at Boye-Dinn Oil, and a hopper at the coal dump. Assume you cannot leave any cars at the top of the hill at Majestic.

So are there any cars that are still being unloaded/loaded when you arrive or can you take them all out? Before bringing in your loads? Is there room at Majestic to store the inbounds, while you retrieve the outbounds?

There should be a passing siding in Majestic that you could use, if it’s empty. From what I can see you could also use one of the legs of the “Wye” to help you with sorting the cars.

The idea is that you need to keep Majesitc clear for mainline traffic.

Bob McCown said:

Wye? Umm, why? If the rest of the wye is fouled, how will a few cars on the Majestic tail be a bother?

Bob McCown said:

Now comes the rub.

We were talking about this around the campfire and Bob was considering adding some more trackage, a Majestic Yardmaster (Andy would like that title, but the crown would be little gawdy) or a helper service siding to the area.

Any further thoughts, Bob?

Still pondering that, Ric. I like your suggestion of flipping Majestic left/right, that would open up a bit more room and give me the room for an interchange track that’s relatively flat for cars bound down toward Oakhill.

Steve Featherkile said:

Bob McCown said:

Wye? Umm, why? If the rest of the wye is fouled, how will a few cars on the Majestic tail be a bother?

All of this Oakhill track is a spur. It connects to the main at Majestic, so once you are inside the mainline switch you can do anything you want. The lead to/from Majestic is a pretty hefty grade and no easily accessible, so spotting cars there can be tricky.

Bob McCown said:

As if THAT ever happens…:wink:

(http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/rgseng/TrainOps%202013/TrainOps2014_020_zps51ef4fd0.jpg)