Large Scale Central

Numbering Yard Tracks

Here I go, making my life complicated again. I was in the basement last night looking at the new yards and thought that I’m going to need designators for each track. The only track numbering scheme I’m familiar with is the EBT’s Orbisonia yard, and I’m not 100% certain I understand it. I believe the EBT starts with track #1 being the closest to the platform at Orbisonia Station. The main line, if I’m correct, is Track 2, the second track away from the platform. Yard track numbering increments from these. I don’t yet have a station. I’ve determined that my departure track is the one that has a straight route to the Main line. Here is a schematic of the current yard…

I thought about numbering the departure track as 1 the tracks below as 2-3-4, but then what of the tracks above??? The two engine tracks don’t really need a number, they could be designated as E1 and E2. Also, the future yard at the top of the diagram will need numbering too. I’m not certain, but I might consider it a different location with a unique name. Could it share numbers with the current yard - or am I setting myself up for confused operators? One idea is to call the mainline around the loop and continuing as the throat of the future yard Track 1, then just number everything below that sequentially. That assumes my current track plan doesn’t change before that yard is build. How would a real railroad have done it? TNX - JR

Jon,

I think the most logical way to number tracks beginning from the middle area would be to use odd numbers above and even numbers below or vice versa.

Normally the track closest to the main would be #1, then 2,3, etc. Many times the tracks are named for their usage: #1 Departure Yard, or #1 Class Yard, or #1 Receiving yard. If the track going down the middle has tracks on both sides it often is called the zero track and then the tracks to the right would be even numbered while tracks to the left would be odd numbered.

Looks like we have a consensus of opinion so far. Thanks Richard & Fred.

I like the Track 0 idea for the center; I couldn’t quite figure odd/even if the center track was one. I’ve all but decided not to number the balloon track; it will be considered an extension of the main. I think the two yards, even though in very close proximity, will have different names. If they each had their own track numbers starting at 0, would that be too confusing? I’m still getting hung up on deciding numbers before the upper yard is built.

If you haven’t figured it out from the schematic this is a stub-end terminal yard with a balloon track for turning trains to allow backing into the yard. It is the indoor terminus of my point-to-point railroad.

JR

Think: North by Northwest.

Number 1,2,3,4 are reserved (generally for main tracks.) If there’s only one main line, it’s generally referred to as “Main Track” and often does not have a number.

Thereafter, to the North or West of the main track, 5,7,9,11,13… etc. This avoids questions about “to the right” or “to the left” in the light of which way the crew member (or locomotive) is pointed.

To the South or East, 6,8,10,12 … etc.

Not sure if this applies everywhere … but it was true of the New Haven and subsidiaries/descendants.

If you’re trying to figure out which is which in a complicated yard, generally it’s done like this:

Tracks that are outside of other tracks get the next number up. In other words, if you have a passing track (to the north, let’s say) this becomes track 5, and the next track, even if it’s not off the passing track, but starts a bit to the west, and then passes to the north of track 5, is #7, and then #9, etc.

Tracks that are in the same yard, and have the same order (IE you have a siding as with track 5 above, and then a bit further down, you have a siding that does the same thing, becoming the first track to the north at that location with no other tracks in between it and the main line, it becomes 5a, 5b, etc.

Each yard has its own track numbers … that follow the same rules. So if you have a track 6 in Deep River, you can also have a track 6 in Haddam, assuming it’s on the correct side of the track.

Tracks in between yards (and therefore not appearing in yard limits) are generally named. (Bostitch Industrial Siding) and are occasionally designated by milepost … (Army Siding, MP 1.2).

Tracks INSIDE yard limits can have names (House Track, Enginehouse Lead, etc.) but will still also have the number from the above system.

Matthew (OV)

I read this post with interest . and looked through some yard photos and so on .
I could not find anywhere a picture which showed how the number of the track is advertised .
Is it a simple title plate at the entrance to the track ? Or is it repeated along the track at intervals .
Mike

Jon Radder said:

How would a real railroad have done it?

TNX - JR

Hi Jon,

Depends which railroad, some that I know of subdivide yards into sectors i.e. A, B, C etc. The sectors according to function, then within the sectors they number consecutively i.e. East to West or whatever.

Add-on:

On the proto I model - RhB - the track adjacent to the station is numbered 1 and they count out from there, they sometimes divide tracks into 1a, 1b etc.

Mike Morgan said:
I read this post with interest . and looked through some yard photos and so on . I could not find anywhere a picture which showed how the number of the track is advertised . Is it a simple title plate at the entrance to the track ? Or is it repeated along the track at intervals . Mike
In US practice, anyway, the only "visible" numbering of tracks that I've ever seen is in passenger terminals, with signs on the platforms (and access tubes/stairs/doors for them.) This is primarily for the benefit of the passengers involved..... the crews know the numbering system as described above and don't really need a sign to indicate which is which. Now, in the really complicated yards (Selkirk?) most of the routing is done automatically from the tower, so if you're headed into track 159, you don't have to count odds from the main as you pass over the switches.....

The biggest yard I was ever part of an operation in was New Haven’s Cedar Hill (and then, it was the more northern part of that…) but the crew received instructions as to which track to use, and where their cars were, and knew where that was… there were no signs, as such, to indicate anything along those lines.

Now if you want really big… here’s Selkirk. I suspect the maps in the employee’s timetable are about impossible to comprehend… and eventually you just have to “learn by doing”

See the map: I’m not sure why the link won’t work correctly, so you’ll have to work it manually… I don’t want to link the gif in and get the internet police all in a tizzy…

http://www.crisny.o*****rg/not-for-profit/railroad/se_trk.gif (remember to remove the stars in the middle.)

Yes , Matthew , thanks for that , couldn’t get the link , but no matter .
Passenger platforms in the UK are numbered , but as you say , for passenger use only . They generally start at 1 as you go in the door and continue on consecutively across the tracks via the bridge .
Or in an end on station , 1 left to whatever right . However , just to be awkward , some have 2 , 2a , 3 , 3a to the left or right of the centre bridge .
There are a lot of variations on this , but it usually is not a problem for the passenger , he just follows the arrows directing him to his train .
No , the thing that interested me was how is a goods yard track identified ? No good saying to the man with the shunting pole to unhook wagons on a certain track if he can’t identify it . So is “1” for track 1 painted on every tenth sleeper ? Or is there a sign at the start and then several repeats along the way ? It’s not a trick question , I really do not know , and though I have spent many a happy hour as a kid watching shunting operations, I never thought about it . Perhaps I should have paid more attention when hanging around in the signal box at Bromford marshalling yard with my uncle .
One thing that does come to mind , the Beyer Garratts and the coal trains always went to the same track . Oil trains also went to the same track .
This is in a marshalling yard , not delivery .
Funny how the simple things turn complicated .
Mike

Here’s some pictures showing how yard tracks are identified.

From “The Model Railroader’s Guide to Freight Yards” by Andy Sperandeo.

Like Bruce’s pictures show, most yards have the track number on the switch stand to identify the track.

Thanks for that , it is something I have not noticed before . The odd thing is that I have some American Outline Switch Stands , and no mention is made of numbering them . Is this typical ? Perhaps not considered important in the past because large yards were too pricey to bother about things like that ? Perhaps there was no point in it ?
Anyway , that ties that up nicely , doesn’t it ?
Back to numbering your tracks , gentlemen , and do enjoy them .
Mike

Mike,

For the link, you’ll likely have to type it manually… because the forum pastes the image in on a link it can read, and I can’t get the link script to work, if you type the following into your browser’s address line WITHOUT the big space between the o and the r, you should get the map:

http://www.crisny.o rg/not-for-profit/railroad/se_trk.gif

Note the numberings, etc. … I guess you’d need a map, or maybe a trail of breadcrumbs…

I think the numbered switch stands are a neat idea… I’d never seen them, but it does make sense.
Interesting how you get different practice in different places.

Matthew ,
I tried it but no luck , though I did get a bit further by being put in touch with a "not for profit org . " So maybe I shall search there .
Odd thing , I asked my elder brother just now on the phone if he remembered the tracks being numberd at Bromford Yard . He used to take me train spotting . Well , he said the tracks all had double white plates at 45deg angles like an open tent alongside the track and in a line across the sidings about every 100 yards . Blowed if I remember that . But , being senile that does not surprise me . I shall now retreat into my little world of models.
Comfort there .
Mike

ps , that’s the same yard where we got machine gunned by a Ju88 . We were on the bridge overlooking the yard .

I dunno. I’ve typed it in several times … it works for me. However… anyone interested, see:

http://trainweb.org/railnuts/yard.html

The link to the map is down the bottom of the page.

Matthew ,
Your last link worked straight away .
Goodness , that is some layout . I presume that none of the yard workers get overweight through lack of exercise .

Mike

Matthew (OV) said:
I dunno. I've typed it in several times ... it works for me. However... anyone interested, see:

http://trainweb.org/railnuts/yard.html

The link to the map is down the bottom of the page.

Matthew,

That long link works no problem. Simple matter of copy/paste, get rid of the spaces in the “org”. BINGO! :wink:

Jon

BTW I’ve found that watching the crews switch a smaller yard - not much bigger than yours - will prove that the brakeman won’t walk any farther than necessary. Don’t blame them, walking on the ballast is no picnic.

Checking my OntarioNorthland info - smallish RR - I noticed that most of the tracks are named.

Thanks everyone for the info that’s been passed here. All very good stuff.

Bruce’s picture of a cast number on the headblock would be easy to duplicate. On a standard switch it could simply be a dry transfer onto the switch throw, be it Aristo, USA or LGB. In my case, it will have to just go in the dirt 'cause my track spacing is too tight to use the Aristo throws. I’m just using Tom’s safety pin spring and the 1:1 operator.

Matthew’s description of the New Haven fits in very well, as he probably knew it would. I don’t model any particular road, but rather a museum / tourist excursion. I have quite a bit of New Haven stock since I live in New England. So it’s decided that I will use numbers (makes wiring muck easier to tag) using the scheme Matthew proposes.

A few questions remain…

Should I number the Balloon Track as a siding, or should it be considered the main? If a siding, could it get two numbers for the North and South portions, like 2/3?

The track labeled Departure Track is a straight connection to the main. I’m considering numbering it Track #1, then all sidings above it (North) would be numbered 5, 7 & 9 with the North side of balloon track as #3. To the South will be #6, 8 and 10 with the south leg of the balloon being #2. The transition from #2 to #3 will be at the electrical isolation point of the reversing loop.

I really appreciate the help. Thanks guys :smiley:

An that Selkirk Yard is out of control. I don’t have the room to model that in Z !!!

Now this yard just needs a name.

JR

If you want a named track instead of a numbered track, that’ll work… look at the few oddball ones (Escape, Loop, “The Inbound”) on the Selkirk map for some examples.

Or, you could label the track entering the yard, and heading around the loop to the second yard’s lead as “The Inbound” or “(name) Yard Lead” and the loop from the switch for the second yard’s lead back to the throat of the yard with its appropriate track number. The presence of the “future” yard switch makes it a lot easier than if it were a plain balloon loop… almost like having a CP in the yard. It avoids questions like “Which one” when a train receives “Enter yard on the Loop” as there could be two choices here, unless you made it a matter of timetable that the loop track was one direction only, and which direction that was. By making it two tracks with a well defined division point, it makes more sense, and allows you to give clear instructions to crews.

As to naming yards … you probably know that a lot of yards are based on place names (Selkirk, Cedar Hill, Elkhart) although some of those are particularly archaic place names if the railroad’s been around awhile (Side Trip: Find out everything you can about the town of “Maromas” CT and what happened to it!) So, generally if you see an oddball yard or station name it has something to do with the original reason for designating the point on the timetable (Note that in VRR timetable lore, “Barker’s Curve” is not named for Bob, or anyone else by that name… there’s a house trackside that for years had many dogs who went ballistic every time the train passed… a yard placed near there could thereby become “Barker Yard” and while location based would not have to have any town name that’d ever been used… and nobody who didn’t know the original story would ever know why!

If you wanted to name a yard not based on a location on your map, you could use the excuse that there was already a station by that name and the yard had to have a different designator (hence Cedar Hill instead of New Haven) since timetable stations have to be unique for the purposes of writing orders.