Large Scale Central

NS4271 & NKP765

No, I didn’t get them together… there are plenty of those pics.

However, last year I got finished with my helper run just in time to jump ahead of a rapidly departing OCS train as it headed west bound for Chicago. NS4271 led all four OCS engines and nine cars west out of Altoona towards Horseshoe Curve:

Today, after finishing the grocery shopping for the week, I talked my beautiful wife into letting me hunt down the 765. There is an advantage to being an employee :-D. Found her sitting at the eastbound signal for CP Works on the Signaled Siding. When the signal came up, she backed gingerly through the switches into the yard to couple to the train on 1-Relay:

Since they are both in the the queue for rejection, I can’t link to their pages, but I’ll add that link if/when I can. In the mean time, right-click, “view image” to see the entire thing.

Nice pix.

Where is CP Works?

Do you have any idea when she’ll arrive in Enola? I’d like to take a ride up there next week and try and get a few pix. Ralph and I are heading up to Lewistown next weekend to get some video and pix.

Any idea what her schedule will be?

Got this from Ralph.

http://fortwaynerailroad.org/event/horseshoe-curve-special/

Meeting him up in Harrisburg, then shoot up to Lweistown and catch the 'Special"…:wink:

J.D. Gallaway said:

Since they are both in the the queue for rejection

Nice shots, JD.

I’ve given up on RP. Unless you are one of their “favorites”, they nitpick the photo to death or just plain make up reasons for rejection.

If I was to submit your two photos, they would be rejected for lighting.

I submitted one photo of SOU 630. You could see every valve and hose on the nose and every detail on the side. Rejected as “backlit” :slight_smile:

Ralph

Great shot Jason. Man I wish I could get out there next weekend. Mainline steam never comes up this way.

Ralph Berg said:

J.D. Gallaway said:

Since they are both in the the queue for rejection

Nice shots, JD.

I’ve given up on RP. Unless you are one of their “favorites”, they nitpick the photo to death or just plain make up reasons for rejection.

If I was to submit your two photos, they would be rejected for lighting.

I submitted one photo of SOU 630. You could see every valve and hose on the nose and every detail on the side. Rejected as “backlit” :slight_smile:

Ralph

Ralph, have you tried RailroadForums? I thinnk they are a whole lot more friendly.

Jon Radder said:

Man I wish I could get out there next weekend.

Jon,

The invitation to join us is still open :wink:

I have to foot the bill for a hotel room anyway. You are welcome to stay with me in Harrisburg.

So all it takes is a little gas money, and time.

I plan on shooting both Saturday’s run and Sunday too.

Unless I get some really awesome shots Saturday, then I may just find someplace to run trains on Sunday :wink:

Ralph

Ralph Berg said:

I plan on shooting both Saturday’s run and Sunday too.

Unless I get some really awesome shots Saturday, then I may just find someplace to run trains on Sunday :wink:

Ralph

And I know just the spot…:wink:

Nice pictures Jason, I sure wish someone would make this in 1/29th scale. My friend remembers these locomotives being tested on the NYC in Harmon NY. Must be a cool

site to see.

And of course, they got rejected.

The NKP one for being a “badly composed shot”… they REALLY like saying that for shots where you get the tail end of a unit. Trouble is, this was making a reverse movement, so technically the tail of the tender was the nose of the movement. Sometimes an off shot like this is needed to convey the scene correctly.

And despite pushing the “Unsharpen mask” as hard as I dared, the 4271 shot was rejected for “Undersoft (unsharpened)” reasons… again. This after I sharpened an already sharpened image that got rejected.

Thanks for the kind words guys. RP.net really gotten TOO exclusive. I personally go with NERail: http://photos.greatrails.net/show/?order=byposter&page=1&key=jgallaway81

I’ll be adding a few more in a bit.

Told ya I’d have more:

After taking my family on the first train today, I was granted permission to go “choo-choo hunting” as my kids call it. Its alot easier than dear: you ALWAYS know where they will come by, they keep a pretty good schedule, and the best part is that you really can’t scare them off. Bad part is that its all catch & release… no take homes permitted.

(http://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/1/0/3/1103.1368923475.jpg)

With the second of four scheduled Employee Appreciation Specials in tow, Nickel Plate 765 charges upgrade out of Altoona towards Horseshoe Curve.

REJECTED: Bad Cropping: Most often this means that the composition of the photo is poor as it relates the cropping of the image. - - Horizon Unlevel: Try leveling the image in your photo editing software. (The train is climbing a 2 percent grade. What am I supposed to do, tilt the earth?)

(http://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/4/2/4/8424.1368924321.jpg)

After making the second run to the top with the EAS, 765 backs down the mountain on its way back into the station. Due to an inability to spin the engine after going to the top and turning on the “Loop” track, 765 and train instead took head-room west of CP-UN and then got the signal back east with the NS 8102 then leading the train down the mountain. Here she is dropping back into CP-Altoona at the end of the day.

LSC PS: Okay, I admit it. I screwed up the settings on my camera. I just started tinkering with the settings even though I known I haven’t a clue about this thing. Despite that, I kind of like this shot. The blur around the boiler draws my eye to the smokebox and the blurred drivers/rods accentuate a speed that just wasn’t there, lol.

REJECTED: Size (Dimensions): The photo is either too narrow vertically or horizontally. For normal landscape images, our recommended height for a 1024 pixel wide image is 680 to 768 pixels. (You HAVE to be kidding me. Its 646px tall! This just stinks of an excuse.)

(http://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/1/8/3/7183.1368924796.jpg)

After unloading all the employees & their families at the Altoona Amtrak Station, NKP765 and her train back down Track #2 to Rose Yard. They’ll tie up for the night buried in the yard to keep us railfans from getting near the beauty. Here she backs under the signature walking bridge that connects the Altoona Transportation Center with the Railroaders’ Memorial Museum grounds. Moments from now she’ll let of several blasts from her whistle before creeping quietly into the yard.

REJECTED: Poor Lighting (Dark): The image is too dark. (What? Should I have detonated a nuclear warhead in low earth orbit to light up the entire state? IT WAS OVERCAST!!! I’m not god and I can’t afford the electric bill to turn the windmills into fans to blow the clouds away.) - Size (Dimensions): The photo is either too narrow vertically or horizontally. For normal landscape images, our recommended height for a 1024 pixel wide image is 680 to 768 pixels. (See my above critisism on this reason)

Excellent!

We’ll see, lol.

Just to show I’m not bitter, let me show you what I’m up against:

Casey Thompson, the NS Corporate Photographer, got to pics in in the last couple days, both DEFINITELY worthy of admittance:

[url=http://www.railpictures.net/photo/435711/]

(http://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/7/6/2/3762.1368361802.jpg)

Norfolk Southern’s “Honoring Our Veterans” unit, SD60E #6920, leads train Z85411 (P54) away from Washington DC after being on display for National Train Day on May 11, 2013. The Nation’s Capital can be seen in the distance as the train rounds the curve at L’Enfant Plaza. Photo by Casey Thomason. For more information, visit www.nscorp.com

[/url]

By the way, make sure you click on them. They expand into super versions at RP.net.

[url=http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=436429]

(http://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/8/1/7/9817.1368896205.jpg)

Nickel Plate Road Berkshire #765 lugs the 10:30am Employee Appreciation Special uphill and around Horseshoe Curve, on its run from Altoona to Gallitzen. Photo by Casey Thomason. For more information, visit www.nscorp.com

[/url]

And add in one more for good measure:

(http://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/5/8/0/8580.1368930423.jpg)

After acting as helper to lift the Employee Appreciation Steam Special up the mountain to Gallitzin, NS PRR Heritage unit No. 8102 provides dynamic braking to safely drop the train back into the Altoona Station. While the train could have turned on the “Loop” track between CP UN and CP AR, there were no turning facilities in Altoona to get the engine headed west for the next run. As a result, they chose to run push/pull. Next week’s public excursions are expected to use the loop since they can turn the train on Rockville Bridge after it returns to Enola between trips. In the distance you can just make out the 400-ton Nickel Plate “caboose” bringing up the rear of the special.

REJECTED: - Poor Lighting (Dark): The image is too dark.
- Size (Dimensions): The photo is either too narrow vertically or horizontally. For normal landscape images, our recommended height for a 1024 pixel wide image is 680 to 768 pixels. Ya, I keep hoping one day to join the elite at RP.net I think I’m sick of that.

J.D. Gallaway said:

Just to show I’m not bitter, let me show you what I’m up against:

Casey Thompson, the NS Corporate Photographer, got to pics in in the last couple days, both DEFINITELY worthy of admittance:

JD,

I’m sure if you had a “cherry picker”, chopper and airplane at your disposal…you’d sneak in a photo or two at RailPictures. Not to mention tens of thousands of dollars of camera gear and a job that pays you to practice :wink:

Casey’s a nice guy. Met him at the TVRRM in Chattanooga. He has the “dream” job of any Railfan :slight_smile:

Access we can only dream about and gets paid to boot :wink:

Ralph

That shot of Casey’s is very interesting from a composition point of view, but it looks over processed to me. It could be the sodium lights at track-side that he was compensating for, or maybe there were some remote flash units used to light the train, but it just doesn’t look real to me.

I actually prefer Jason’s shots to many of the professional shots.

Jon, I appreciate the kind words. That was very nice of you.

One thing that’s bad about showcasing only the absolute best is that it makes it it harder for us rookies to get eh experience we need to MAKE the big time. I mean, pretty much all of the Rejection reasons are generic, they don’t take the time to explain how we could have made the picture better.

I have a full time job as an engineer and parent. Plus photography isn’t my primary hobby. (I’m not ever sure which hobby is my MAIN one.)

And for the record:

Rejected

Rejected

Rejected

Rejected

JD,

Your pictures look great. As long as you are happy with them, I wouldn’t lose any sleep over RP.

They are very inconsistent. In their world, it is always Sunny, the sky is always deep blue, the Sun is always behind you, and everyone has Photoshop to process the crap out of the photo.

They don’t like cloudy or rainy days. They don’t like “high sun”. They don’t like an un-level engine, even if it’s on a super elevated curve and every thing else in the photo is level. They don’t like trains “going away” from you. They don’t like “crowded” shots. They don’t like roster shots. The list goes on and on.

Unless you’re a professional photographer…then all of the above doesn’t matter :wink:

Ralph

Ralph Berg said:

JD,

Your pictures look great. As long as you are happy with them, I wouldn’t lose any sleep over RP.

They are very inconsistent. In their world, it is always Sunny, the sky is always deep blue, the Sun is always behind you, and everyone has Photoshop to process the crap out of the photo.

They don’t like cloudy or rainy days. They don’t like “high sun”. They don’t like an un-level engine, even if it’s on a super elevated curve and every thing else in the photo is level. They don’t like trains “going away” from you. They don’t like “crowded” shots. They don’t like roster shots. The list goes on and on.

Unless you’re a professional photographer…then all of the above doesn’t matter :wink:

Ralph

AND ya need a good line of BS to go with it…:wink:

Their lose is our gain. I like’m…keep’em comin…:wink: