Large Scale Central

Not Yet.. Mik's build challenge 2015

OK guys, It’s a little over 90 days till the new Mik’s Challenge 2015 is thrown at ya.

Are you ready? Well I’m not, exactly. Like last year I still have a couple of “Ideas up my sleeve”, but sad to say I don’t have Mik just Mik to help make this years decision.

SO… I’m tossing this up in the air, to get you alls input as to what your preferences might be. I know that for a couple of ideas I have, I would have to get cranking early to pull them off on time ( if only I had a high capacity 3D printer & lots of filament ).

Remember: Rule #1 applies to all final decisions. And the final decision is mine to make using “Rule #1

Let me know what you think would work, or the direction you want to go.

I think it will be hard to top last years challenge. It was so cool to for all of us to start with the same door and our imaginations provided the rest. Everyone did such a good job on their chosen build. I know I really stretched my skills, learned some new things and am still really proud of my engine house.

Heres a few ideas:

We once again all start with the same “thing” and since most of the builds were structures last year this time build something to ride the rails. What is the “thing” though keeping in mind that it would have to transcend a century or so of RRing so steam and diesel guys could both partake?

Another
Last year some of us built structures from old photos of actual buildings. We could all choose then start from an old photo of a building or piece of rolling stock and build it as close to possible to the original then stage the finished piece to best replicate the original photo.

Another
Most of us have a Bachmann bobber caboose or can get one pretty cheap so one of those could be used as a start to something of your choice.

HMMMM I’m sure we will think of something that Mik would approve of.

Dave

I was thinking about the talent we have here.

What if we could have a build challenge where all that enter wins a prize?

What if all that enter the "challenge " build and donate the builds to an organization that needs them?

Perhaps like a children’s hospital or something of that nature.

What if we are all issued like one 4 wheeled truck with a pair of hook n loop couplers or something like that? I know there are guys here that help out with these groups or hospitals so maybe like a whimsical train . Here is your truck,hook n loops and dimensions now build a car .

I’m just thinking and like I said we all win then!

Boomer and Steve don’t think I have a heart but I do cause the man behind the "Green Curtain " gave me one.

This post has been edited by Rooster:

That could be a good idea Rooster that we all start with a pair of trucks.

Another idea: How about making it builders choice so you can build a piece of rolling stock, a structure, anything BUT whatever you do build needs to be weathered and beat to heck like it is on its last legs. A car could be all rotted out and ready to be scrapped, a building could be leaning propped up with boards etc…

Go crazy.

A small rail vehicle like a speeder or railbus?

A small shunter on a common chassis like a Mack (that maybe a bit more pricey)if so maybe a static derelict loco, car or vehicle

I dunno just tossing some ideas

Dang, just the other day I had a napkin in my hands… carelessly I wiped my mouth and hands and tossed it.

I hope the winning design wasn’t on it. :wink:

Would this allow previously scratch built items ?

That way , you may get more entries .

Mike

I like the small rail vehicle, speeder, rail bus idea of Vic’s. I believe they were used in every generation of locomotive transportation.

If chosen the good ole boys in East Tennessee can sober up and get to work.

Editor’s note: While exhibiting the enthusiasm for said contest the Little River loggers would not be entering the rail car as it was built several years ago.

Doc Tom

Todd Haskins said:

That could be a good idea Rooster that we all start with a pair of trucks.

Another idea: How about making it builders choice so you can build a piece of rolling stock, a structure, anything BUT whatever you do build needs to be weathered and beat to heck like it is on its last legs. A car could be all rotted out and ready to be scrapped, a building could be leaning propped up with boards etc…

Go crazy.

Sheesh Todd, that’s a great idea.

But, where would I find a suitably decrepit prototype for my layout theme?

Mike Morgan said:

Mike

Mike, no, that snot the point as I understand it. The point is that a builder has a set period of time to build whatever the challenge is. Also the builder posts as he goes along, so folks can follow what he is doing, and how he is doing it. To just walk out into my garage, pick something up and say “here’s my entry. I’m done.” just wouldn’t be fair to the other builders and it would not be in the spirit of the build contest.

Hans, you mean there wasn’t any old equipment that was left over from the past, on your railroad in the time-frame you model?

David Maynard said:

Hans, you mean there wasn’t any old equipment that was left over from the past, on your railroad in the time-frame you model?

At least no decrepit stuff, nor were there any structures decrepit enough to qualify.

But we’ll see what else could fall into that category.

The general rules are that we have to build something that is an agreed apon theme from napkin to completion taking photos along the way to document our progress. We are usuually given enough time to have 5 weekends and we are not to spend more than $30 on our projects so scratch building and raiding the parts bin is key. We are usually spotted glue and some paint.

Last year we chose to all start work from a single door that Dave Taylor supplied in the appropriate scale for us.
Here was my entry. The common door can be seen behind the red barrel.

The year before once again Dave supplied the starting point in the form of a gondola kit and we all built some amazing things.
My MAC speeder.

The first year I entered was the I believe the second year of the challenge and the theme was to finally finish something that had been started.
My entry.

Wow from these photos I can see how my skills have really improved and that is part of the challenge to flex your modelling muscles and try something new. The FUN part is sharing and building something from nothing. I think Mik would approve.

Tom G. those old timey rail vehicles are cool. You need to finish yours up.

David Maynard said:

Mike Morgan said:

Mike

Mike, no, that snot the point as I understand it. The point is that a builder has a set period of time to build whatever the challenge is. Also the builder posts as he goes along, so folks can follow what he is doing, and how he is doing it. To just walk out into my garage, pick something up and say “here’s my entry. I’m done.” just wouldn’t be fair to the other builders and it would not be in the spirit of the build contest.

That’s cleared that up , I just wanted to make sure I understood the rules .

Mike

Ok to answer the ? For the new guys, or those that have been asleep under a rock for the past few years.

Rule #1: Remember this is a “Fun Build Amongst Friends”

OK? Got it?.. emphasis on “FUN” and “Build” And especially “Friends”.

Oh yah, BTW: I really like Archbar trucks!

Todd Haskins said:

Tom G. those old timey rail vehicles are cool. You need to finish yours up.

Those ole boys did put the bottle down and managed to finish something for once. They were even clear headed enough to run the thing during last year’s Tennessee ice storm. After a few months of rehab they may be able to take a stab at the 2015 challenge.

Doc Tom

Dave,

My suggestion is as follows: Build a piece of rolling stock (subject matter is irrelevant) using a pair of USAT arch bar trucks (last I bought them about $8 per pair - I am checking with RLD Hobbies). Wheelsets and couplers will not be considered in the expense limit as they are participant dependent. Trucks will be prepaid by the challenge participants, bulk ordered by the ‘host’ and distributed.

Bob C.

Dave Taylor said:

Oh yah, BTW: I really like Archbar trucks!

That could work. There is a guy on eBay who had Delton Archar trucks (less springs) real cheap. Not sure he has any left, but I bought a bunch and still have a few unused. They are 1:24 but work pretty well from 1:20 through 1:29.

Ok I like the build around the bogie idear, however i’ll throw ya a kink

I provide anyone that does the challenge 2 bogies for $15 +sh for the contest (wheels not included)

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/10690001_565991443523540_8298148675092628893_n.jpg?oh=bc8e65bc1f9c84e8eaa1d8642265f65a&oe=54B62049&gda=1421316991_3bd49a1cb1fdd1f935521768b214fe65)

Good idea Mark, but too modern for some of us.

Jon, I bought some from that guy on ebay and would like more but haven’t been able to find him again, have you got his name or a link ? Sorry, not trying to derail the thread !