Large Scale Central

Not Yet.. Mik's build challenge 2015

Dave Taylor said:

…Oh yah, BTW: I really like Archbar trucks!

So do I . In fact I have been slowly amassing them to replace the Vulcan trucks under my Bachmann hoppers. Since my chosen prototype railroad operated from 1871 till sometime in the 19 teens, arch-bars are appropriate.

Several years ago I was servicing a copier at a steel processing plant. They had flat cars they used to move the steel slabs around the plant, and one of them had Arch-bar trucks under it. So while Archbar trucks were outlawed for interchange service in 1935 IIRC, they can still be found in service , from time to time, on non interchange equipment.

Gary Buchanan said:

Jon, I bought some from that guy on ebay and would like more but haven’t been able to find him again, have you got his name or a link ? Sorry, not trying to derail the thread !

I never throw anything away. His eBay ID is con49079 - find him at http://www.ebay.com/usr/con49079

I like the idea of a build challenge, but one that everyone can afford to jump in on. I enjoy taking inexpensive pieces and thinking of new things you can build with them.

I took an inexpensive HLW railcar/woody and converted it in to one of the 8 ton, four wheel Climax A locos which I have posted on LSC. people really seem to like that engine. I know I do.

I also took four cheap HLW Mini flat cars about 5 years ago and chopped them in half, shortened them, glued them back together and turned them in to Logging Disconnects which, again, have met with favorable reviews.

Not selling HLW but they make inexpensive stuff that i have converted in to neat things in the past.

My vote is look for something cheap that’s readily available on sites like Trainworld like a Bachmann Porter for 99 bucks or the gandy dancer hand car and challenge folks to convert it in to something different. Or as someone else said, take something like the ubiquitous Bachmann bobber caboose which I have recently married with a Bmann flat car to build a pretty nice MOW work caboose. and turn it in to something cool. It could be something proto or complete fantasy or ‘farce’ even to qualify,

Thanks Jon, looks like he is more into vintage auto parts these days, no trucks listed.

Gary Buchanan said:

Thanks Jon, looks like he is more into vintage auto parts these days, no trucks listed.

Send him a PM on eBay asking about the trucks. Last time I bought them (2012) he didn’t have them listed either, but responded to my query and put a set up “buy it now” for me. He could be finally out of them, but it can’t hurt to ask.

A number of years ago there was an organization called AWNUTS. Always Whimsical Not Usually To Scale. Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Anyway, how about a build of something totally whimsical rolling stock?

I remember coming across one of their cars that was an Observatory Railway Car. How about something that would not normally be seen as a railway car? The more outrageous the better!

Lou, I loved that magazine. I belong to the A.W.N.U.T.S.again Yahoo group, and the Whymsy forum. I have a few ideas I wanna build that fit into that genre.

MIK, just MIK was a neat individual. He did a lot with a little. His Forte` was Found Objects to resemble details.

His skills were hurried, yes there were ‘holidays’ in his painting and scale was rubber, but the over all effect worked.

Nobody questioned his skill, his enthusiasm and joy was infectious and once you saw the finished work of art, you realized those were best left unsaid.

In keeping with that spirit, I have a couple of 20’ cars that would be suitable starting points, but I can’t afford to buy a car to join the competition. My budget never sends me to a hobby shop. Fortunately I purchased enuf before the big C, but let’s remember MIK and do it on the cheap.

Happy Rails,

John

Well said John!

@John -

I agree with your assessment completely. Mik’s knowledge, humor, and drive will be missed. It took me a bit to come to understand his way of thinking, but really have come to appreciate it.

I hope there was not a misunderstanding in my post above. What I was proposing was the ‘common starting point’ being the truck bolster and side frame only. I chose the USATs because they are the most inexpensive I am aware of. If you know a less expensive starting point (one that can be easily made common) I am all ears. I specifically excluded wheel sets and couplers because couplers are so much a personal preference and wheel sets can be expensive, are a requirement for a car to roll, and many have personal preferences there as well. Like most of us, I have at least one Walmart bag full of plastic wheel sets. If that is a requirement of the truck, I will offer FREE wheel sets to those wanting them.

Your existing 20 footers would be a great starting point for a fantasy car, (or what ever theme is chosen by our BCD [Benevolent Challenge Dictator]) built on the ‘common’ truck. Although I am not on a fixed income, my ‘disposable income’ has, as with most of us been disposed of by ‘others’, and my funds are also limited.

For me to do a fantasy car I would need to enlist the aid of my younger grandchildren. My head doesn’t go in that direction real well. They can go wwaaaayyyyyy out there.

I don’t have any names… I saw a suggestion of a hundred dollar loco as a starting place … made me think uh oh uhn huh, wait $30 or less has served us well … that’s my range so, let’s revisit the Spirit of MIK, just MIK.

That’s All Folks,

I’m willing to be flexible, but some notions needed quelling. IMHo

John

So, should get out my sketch pad and come up with whimsical ideas to put onto an arch-bar truck? Or are we just thinking out loud at this point?

I would say we are all thinking out loud since the official challenge doesn’t start for 90+ days.

Gee Wally wouldn’t that be uh y’know like unfair?

Gosh Beev, I think we can only imagine until it’s time to put crayon to nappy…

Archbar… everybody does those… why not crazy like a

fox?

Well said John Caughey. I find myself agreeing with everything you’ve written here. As soon as Dave mentioned arch bars, fox trucks came to my mind as well. They make a welcome change from the ubiquitous archbars that are my favorites as well.

Among his other virtues, Mik was a teriffic researcher of railroadiana. It was Mik who provided the photo of the prototype on which I finally based my vat/pickle/sea monkey car, and he did a great job of researching and collecting photos of early oilfield equipment, an aspect of our hobby that I’d like to model myself one day, and when I do it’ll be in Mik’s memory.

Todd, your Mac Speeder was a winner in my eyes two years ago, and still looks like a winner to me. Mind you, it’s only fair to say that there have been a lot of really excellent models in the build challenge. The high level of modelling around here will keep us all on our toes!
Fortunately, the challenge isn’t about winning. It’s about rule one above all.

So Dave, you’re at it again? Good for you. I’ll stand by and see what develops on this thread. I always like the idea of doing rolling stock. It’s an opportunity to put something unusual into the consist. If the whimsey idea catches on, that’s fine, but I hope it will only be as an option. I do have a couple of whimsical projects on my list, but they’re pretty far down.
Cheers everybody!

Hmmm…the 20’ car sounds promising, maybe just provide a frame kit and we build whatever on that.

So far as I see it we have (so far) the following options:

1. A speeder of some sort

2. Something built from two trucks

3. Something built on a 20’ car frame

Does that sound right?

John I wish someone made trucks like that I have a couple tenders they would be perfect on

Here’s an engine that was highly unusual. It ran on compressed air! Why? It was used in a dynamite factory in Arizona! If you’re looking for an engine to build this would fit into a small layout!

Dynamite factories, compressed air locomotives and Arizona… Wile E. Coyote comes to mind… I wonder if the manufacturer of that contraption was the Acme Loco Co. lol

61 Days to go till Miks Build Challenge 2015.

I’m hard at work, slaveing into the wee hours of the nights to pull this off. Who needs sleep when there’s railroading to be done.

Save your napkins up, they will be needed.

Vic Smith said:

snip-

John I wish someone made trucks like that I have a couple tenders they would be perfect on

I was hoping Mark would jump in and offer to print them…

Dreaming…

Stamped sides and I beam cross members (two stamped Cs riveted together) a few doo dads and bingo!