Large Scale Central

Norfolk & Western 611

As some of you may know, the N & W 611 is going to be restored at the North Carolina Transportation Museum.
Last Sunday the Norfolk & Western Heritage unit led the train bringing the 611 to the NCTM.
Also in the consist, a Wabash E-8 for the Streamliners event at the Museum.
Ralph

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HNNRcOwdNc[/youtube]

Nice video, Ralph

Thanks for posting the video Ralph.

Outwardly, by it’s appearance, 611 has been kept in pristine condition.

Grant Kerr said:

Outwardly, by it’s appearance, 611 has been kept in pristine condition.

Grant,

It was the prize exhibit in the Virginia Museum of Transportation and was always in perfect display condition.

http://www.vmt.org/Loops-Collections/Steam-locomotive-Loop/Steam-locomotive-start.html

Thank you Ralph. Now the question is who is paying for the restoration?

Paul

As I recall, she was stuffed and mounted only because she was due for her FRA inspection and NS didn’t want to pay for it, the NS suits not having any steam experience. She probably could be fired up today.

Information on the restoration campaign.
Ralph

http://fireup611.org/

YES YES YES YES YES!!!

Steve Featherkile said:

As I recall, she was stuffed and mounted only because she was due for her FRA inspection and NS didn’t want to pay for it, the NS suits not having any steam experience. She probably could be fired up today.

From the Fireup611 website: “We expect the restoration of the Class J 611 to take up to nine months”.

That short a time ?? Guess you are right, Steve!

Compared to 4014, nine months is just an oil change and a lube job. Still say that she has been so well cared for that you could probably get up a head of steam today. Prudent to do the extra work as long as an open and inspect is required.

i’m guessing a new set of tubes and general tightening up of other things, like the steam valve, New seals on control valves, lapping seats and etc.

Dave Taylor said:

i’m guessing a new set of tubes and general tightening up of other things, like the steam valve, New seals on control valves, lapping seats and etc.

Concur. Check the oil, radiator and the air in the tires. Fill ‘er up with Ethyl, I’m rarin’ to go!

Hope the tender can hold enough diesel fuel… :slight_smile:

Andy Clarke said:

Sigh.

Steve Featherkile said:

Andy Clarke said:

Sigh.

You just can’t help some people Steve. Nice video Ralph

Cool!!

I think that one neatest parts of the program is how the maintenance facility will be built. From what I’ve hear the public will be able to be in the visitors portion of the building and watch repairs/maintenance under way at any time. Couple that with the fact that the money is being raised up front for long range operation costs and this project is bound to be a huge success!

Randy Lehrian Jr. said:

I think that one neatest parts of the program is how the maintenance facility will be built. From what I’ve hear the public will be able to be in the visitors portion of the building and watch repairs/maintenance under way at any time. Couple that with the fact that the money is being raised up front for long range operation costs and this project is bound to be a huge success!

The Spencer shops (NCTM) already make a big show of the repair and maintenance operations. The roundhouse facilitates viewing.

Aha - I found the photo of 611 in the Virginia Museum in Roanoke - shows how nicely it was kept.

To the general public, watching a crew do restoration work on a steam locomotive is about as exciting as watching paint dry, or grass grow. In many cases nothing happens at all during many phases of the operation.

Of course us guys would all be like kids in a candy store, even if the thing was just sitting there!