Large Scale Central

Nitty-gritty questions

Yea, Id get the latest build. There are always updates to broken code.

Bob,

I did, what I posted are the results after the update. Perhaps we need a “repair DB” function under a “DB utilities” menu?

Yea, thats just a calculation error in the detail window. Bruce pointed this out to me this morning. The switchlist should be ok, though.

One other “glitch” I notice; when editing the “Physical Layout” window properties i.e. adjust a siding length; on closing that dialog box the layout window view will always default to the bottom, rather than stay at the last edited position i.e. the staging yard at the top end of the line.

And here comes another question for Bob: could you give us the run down on how the percentage (10%) works if a car is set to “min 1” and “max 1” per day?

Ah, yea, that’s a bit of brain work. A couple of examples. First, the default

min: 1
max: 1
Percent:100

You always get one car.

A bit more complex

Min: 1
Max: 3
Percent: 50

You’ll always get 1 car, but for car 2 and 3, there’s a 50% chance of each one of them.

OK. Got it.

Now a slight wrinkle, how does one return an empty car to a specific location “When empty return to xxxx”? Right now I’m ending up with loaded gons at the gon storage (“reserved” for empties).

Here’s an interesting one. Say Potlatch Forest Industries and Bennet Lumber Products have their own special thrall boxcars. How will TrainOps know to return the empties to the right place?

The “two trains” solution - the logical choice - doesn’t kick, can’t find cars for the first train. :frowning: :frowning: Back to the “how can we tackle that” board.
But first I need to micro-specify some of the sidings/industries in order to see at a glance which “storage” the car report is talking about.

Has any one tackled the interchange problem where cars arrive off the one line (A) and can go in two directions (B&C) but they arrive off the two lines(B&C) and go just to the one line(A)?? Any suggestions?

Steve Featherkile said:
Here's an interesting one. Say Potlatch Forest Industries and Bennet Lumber Products have their own special thrall boxcars. How will TrainOps know to return the empties to the right place?
It probably won't know. You could probably specify that on the Form 19. But I'm only guessing here.

Bump!

Perhaps I missed it, but … how does one set up branch lines. I need three of them, any and all help (including the usual remarks) appreciated! :wink: :slight_smile: :wink:

TIA

A form 19 order is not a form for directing cars anywhere. It is a type of Train Order form that directs a train for meets or other operating orders.
To direct a car to be returned to a specific place or firm; it is usually part of the lettering on the car, that says for example: RETURN empty TO CN AGENT, at OTTAWA ONTARIO CANADA/for forwarding to: Mills Sewage and Sludge Works. The car clerk of your railroad would catch on to this when billing for return moves.

This can be included in the computer programme, as a defalt for certain chosen cars, I would think. I do believe that RailOp has it.

Question: What triggers the unloading mechanism? I have a slew of cement hoppers sitting in two different locations (industries) and they are not being unloaded.

Shouldn’t all of the loaded cars change to empty at the turnover of the date?

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
Bump!

Perhaps I missed it, but … how does one set up branch lines. I need three of them, any and all help (including the usual remarks) appreciated! :wink: :slight_smile: :wink:

TIA

There really isnt a concept of branch lines (or main lines, for that matter). A train runs between locations. So you can set up your trains to serve industries on the branch line only, or the “main”,or any combination thereof.

Thanks Bob, I’ll setup some “test trains” and see how it goes. :wink:

On the “stay loaded” cars, could this have something to do with adjusting the “physical layout” after running some trains? I deleted those cars and then re-entered them. Now they’re loaded at the right industry but heading for a destination that should only get the occasional cement hopper. ? ? ?

Possibly. If the car isnt needed, and its not at an industry where what it has will get unloaded, then it’ll stay in its state until its needed.

Please refresh my memory: how does one assign switching/distribution task to the local switcher in a town?

HJ -

In the Edit Train window, when a location that has industries is selected there is a check box “Drop cars for local switcher”.

I assume that once the cars are dropped, the local switcher does what is needed without further instruction from the program.

Exactly Jon, though that’s not working as expected yet. The switchlist will just show dropping cars at that location, and it’ll generate a secondary switchlist for the local guy.

But like I said, not working right yet.