Large Scale Central

Nitty-gritty questions

Hi all,

On the Realistic Switchlist it shows “tons”, is that the total weight? just the load? or what?

From my reckoning, it looks to be the total weight of all the cars in the consist…

Mine says 3 cars …loaded…35 tons

Total weight …105 tons…

hj,

That means that you will have to take your shoes off, too. :lol: :stuck_out_tongue:

Ken,

Thank you kindly, in that case Max. Gross weight. BUT how does one account/differentiate empties??? And the next question: the config menu shows “Commodities” grayed out and I don’t see an entry for specific loads?

Steve,

I always take my shoes off when I get in the house and I take my slippers off when I lie down on the couch. :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Commodities is an in-progress thing, not ready for prime time. Right now trains are built based on what cars you say the industry needs/ships. Commodities will add a level of complexity to that. You will instead say “I want wood, and I ship furniture” and that wood goes in boxcars and flatcars, and furniture goes in boxcars. Then the train will get built on the car-commodity relationship. A bit different look at the same problem.

After running the first train, I indexed the day and run the same train the next day.

Question1: the worksheet for the train indicates 4 cars to be set out, yet there are 0 cars at the start of the run and no pickups prior to the first set out. What gives?

Question2: Are there any plans to be able to process orders for specific commodities and the shipper requests the specific car type for that commodity?

TIA!

Follow-up questions:

How do you set up passenger trains? How to keep the same consist for x trains?

How to get a slew of cars located at “staging”?

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
After running the first train, I indexed the day and run the same train the next day.

Question1: the worksheet for the train indicates 4 cars to be set out, yet there are 0 cars at the start of the run and no pickups prior to the first set out. What gives?

Question2: Are there any plans to be able to process orders for specific commodities and the shipper requests the specific car type for that commodity?

TIA!

Q1: Area all 4 of these cars foreign road cars? There is an odd issue Im tracking down with foreign cars.

Q2: Specific shipper, no. Commodities will be structured like “Industry produces Widgets, and Widgets can travel in boxcars or flatcars”. If you set up the commodity to ONLY be in flatcars, then, yes, that will work, but not for a specific ‘provider’ of widgets.

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
Follow-up questions:

How do you set up passenger trains? How to keep the same consist for x trains?

How to get a slew of cars located at “staging”?

For the purposes of TrainOps, scheduled passenger trains don’t need a switchlist, and aren’t supported currently.

There isn’t, currently, a way to move cars around. I suppose I could have a way to set initial location of a car, but in general, there isn’t a concept of ‘staging’ for TrainOps, since all cars move all around all the time.

Thanks Bob!

HJ,
TrainOps does not do staging per se, but I do have a “staging” area on the J&B. Lexington is just two tracks. I’ve defined both of them as yard tracks, but use it as a “staging” area. TrainOps will have cars start in a yard; it calls them pickups. I look at the switch list and it tells me what to pickup, but I just put all the pickups behind the loco and add the caboose - all on one of my “staging” tracks.

Train #1 starts there, there’s nothing to do but roll the train and then I use a switch list to work the towns over to the other end of my layout, Green Springs. Train #2 starts in Green Springs (defined as a yard, no sidings) , switches all the town and then it terminates at Lexington. In my mind, Lexington just represents a portal to the non-modeled area of my railroad. I really could have another train start in Lexington if I so desired, as I do have two tracks there.

Bruce Chandler said:
TrainOps will have cars start in a yard; it calls them pickups.
Bruce,

That’s what I’m looking for, how do the “pick-ups” get to the yard? I’m missing something here!

How about a way to edit the car information that shows up in the car list by showing the “Location” entry in the “Edit car Info” pop up? Then one could “reset” the layout as a whole or place the specific car at a specific location.

I thought it just “happened” automagically.

Are you not getting any pickups in your yard? If so, you may want to play a bit with your industry demands, plus make sure your yard track is long enough to hold a bunch of cars.

Bruce, :slight_smile:

Would you believe I set the staging track to 2000"? :smiley: :wink: Gotta make sure there’s lotsa room. :lol: No pickups so far. :frowning:

HJ, are you running with the latest version?

Bob McCown said:
HJ, are you running with the latest version?
Bob, it's Build 36

Hmm…39 is out… :wink:

OK, I’ll get that in a minute. Mean time I set up a train that goes the opposite direction. AND low and behold! All kinds of cars show up - a lot of them in the wrong industry location - and they are all bound for the other staging yard.

See, they all wanted to go the other way! :wink:

Yes, funny how that happens. :stuck_out_tongue: :slight_smile: Anyway here’s Quirk01

(http://www.rhb-grischun.ca/F-PIX/LSC/Quirk01.jpg)

(http://www.rhb-grischun.ca/F-PIX/LSC/Quirk01a.jpg)

How can the report read (1 cars in train) at Muot and Preda and yet getting into Samedan we have the two boxcars (picked up in Bergün) plus the gon and a cement hopper appearing out of nowhere. I’m puzzled! BTW those funny place names are just to keep you entertained (could have been Spanish :lol: ) :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: