Large Scale Central

News Alert

A well known line from, I believe, a Joe Cocker song with reference to cricket - only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun (obviously referring to India as midday sun in England would no doubt be an overcast day).

Another was a bowler who was caught in slips after bowling a maiden over. This is purely a technical term with no reference to lingerie or to a woman’s ‘status’.

$5 a gallon for MILK…!! Thank goodness I don’t live back East! I paid $2.59 today and wasn’t happy.

Let me say this about gas and large vs small cars. I don’t own a big Excursion but drive a Caravan for my personal car…that I can’t afford the gas for. But you guys will find out that when you get older you just cannot fold up into some tiny sardine can car any longer. It hurts too bad…that’s if you can get in it at all. Actually, for me it’s not getting in the car that’s so bad, it’s getting back out…:frowning:

As for having to pay if I want to play…well I don’t mind paying…but I don’t like getting screwed. That’s my feeling on gas prices…and I don’t need any more Aristocraft track.

Kevin Morris said:
In the vague recesses of my memory I recall a cricket match between England and the West Indies. Michael Holding was bowling while Derrick Willie was batting. Coming back from a TV ad' break, the commentator brought the viewers up to date. He said, "The bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willie."

When cricket is played in Australia the tv camera-persons will scan around the crowd (in those rare moments of inactivity on the playing field) and for some strange reason they tend to zoom in on busty women.

On one such occasion the commentator thought he was off air. He looked at the monitor and said, for all Australia to hear, “Je… Chr…! Look at the t.ts on her!!”

Howard Cosell was never that eloquent.

I bet that commentator was Ian Chappell. If not it must have been “Warnie”

BTW. The best run of rhyming names in a dismissal also involved D Willie and only happened the one time.

Lillee caught Willie bowled Dilley.

TonyWalsham said:
Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
SNIP IMHO cricket is somewhat related to baseball; I'd rather watch paint dry on a hot Okanagan day, there's more action.
Ah yes!!!

What other game can be played at International level for up to 5 days and still not get a result?

Middle East diplomacy.

tac

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
Tony,

If it’s a contest between “Hmmmmmm?” and “WOW!”, WOW will win hands down. Or at least that’s the way it looks most of the time. :wink: :slight_smile:

‘WOW’ for me starts at Gauge 1 and goes on up to 1/4 scale… I started playing with big trains before Mr Plok EVER thought of the ‘wow’ factor.

tac

David Russell said:
Perhaps I read this wrong and maybe I'm outta line being a newbie? But.... "It is what it is?" You have people bitchin' about gas prices at the pump while they fill up their Ford V-10 Excursion but they still pay for it? Milk is like $5 / gallon but people waste so much of that it ain't funny (but they don't complain about it?) You wanna play ya' gotta pay. Besides I would rather put my hard earned money into trains that I can run in my yard for entertainment (and a lot of it) rather than put my money into the gas tank to drive somewhere and spend more money? I think Aristo is a great company......I believe it was Ric that posted his story about his Train Engineer that they fixed for free even though it was his fault? PLus the buy 4 boxes get one free?? Good deal. The hardest thing I have found is getting track...Demand and supply, since the LGB ordeal, has been huge IMO? Dave
Dave,

You are new around these parts, so we will forgive a few things. Not much, usually, but a few. :smiley:

Complaining about this or that helps us keep our blood pressures down. It is our right, and tends to get us talked about a little less than shooting at each other. :lol:

Welcome aboard. I think that you will find that this is a lively, friendly place, where from time to time you need a thick skin, just before having a virtual bheer with your antagonist.

Warren, where did you find milk for $2.59/gallon? I think that you made that up. :rolleyes:

madwolf

Warren Mumpower said:
$5 a gallon for MILK..!! Thank goodness I don't live back East! I paid $2.59 today and wasn't happy.

Let me say this about gas and large vs small cars. I don’t own a big Excursion but drive a Caravan for my personal car…that I can’t afford the gas for. But you guys will find out that when you get older you just cannot fold up into some tiny sardine can car any longer. It hurts too bad…that’s if you can get in it at all. Actually, for me it’s not getting in the car that’s so bad, it’s getting back out…:frowning:

As for having to pay if I want to play…well I don’t mind paying…but I don’t like getting screwed. That’s my feeling on gas prices…and I don’t need any more Aristocraft track.

$5 a gallon milk? I wish. $6 here in the local huge supermarket. But I sure as hell wish we could run our cars on it…:frowning:

Regular gasoline - $9.80 a gallon…

Diesel up to 10% more…

We live in the open country farming part of East Anglia, and our family car is a ML350 - filling that up costs about $160. My week-ender and leisure vehicle [leisure?] is a 25-year old 380SL - filling that up costs me about $135.

We drive around a lot for and with our daughter [a wheel-chair user], and her husband [severely brain damaged] as the local transportation system is inaccessible for her, so the mileage is not good, as they say. We therefore have to fill up at least once a week on the SUV, maybe once a month on the ‘fun’ car.

Over in Ontario we have a Plymouth Voyager - we bought it in Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, a habit we have grown into over the years, and drive it back to the Brighton/Trenton area where we live in Canada. The gas mileage on that has been pretty good over three years we’ve had it, but then, we knew what we were getting into there - my family have had 12 Voyagers between us since the early '80’s.

Don’t be too downhearted about your ‘cheap’ milk and gas…just be grateful you don’t live in Norway, where things are about 25% even more expensive than UK. :wink:

tac

Kevin Morris said:
In the vague recesses of my memory I recall a cricket match between England and the West Indies. Michael Holding was bowling while Derrick Willie was batting. Coming back from a TV ad' break, the commentator brought the viewers up to date. He said, "The bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willie."

When cricket is played in Australia the tv camera-persons will scan around the crowd (in those rare moments of inactivity on the playing field) and for some strange reason they tend to zoom in on busty women.

On one such occasion the commentator thought he was off air. He looked at the monitor and said, for all Australia to hear, “Je… Chr…! Look at the t.ts on her!!”

Howard Cosell was never that eloquent.

All of that is perfectly understandable. :lol: :lol:

Terry A de C Foley said:
Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
Tony,

If it’s a contest between “Hmmmmmm?” and “WOW!”, WOW will win hands down. Or at least that’s the way it looks most of the time. :wink: :slight_smile:

‘WOW’ for me starts at Gauge 1 and goes on up to 1/4 scale… I started playing with big trains before Mr Plok EVER thought of the ‘wow’ factor.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

Terry

WOW could also be “Why Oh Why …!?!” and then there is the factor that played into the building of the Terranno CN Tower.

Warren Mumpower said:
$5 a gallon for MILK..!! Thank goodness I don't live back East! I paid $2.59 today and wasn't happy.

Warren, go test drive a Toyota Scion xB, trust me, you will be surprised, its roomier than my crewcab truck was, and my invalid mom loves it cause its so easy to get in and out of, big wide doors and a low floor like a van…35mpg to boot!

We bought a 6 cylinder, F150 short-bed last year and it actually gets 30 mpg. Sure better than that 1-ton 460 we had for pulling the trailer! That was less than 10 mpg!
With that increase in mileage I can afford more trains!

Thankyou Steve and all for the forgiveness! You guy’s are a riot! This place is great and I have very thick skin, as I’m involved with an automotive board and deal with many cockey young men out to conquer the world!.. LOL (we were all there once) . I also do the other extreme and chat on an old home board so were good on my end. Now if I get outta line please let me know as I’m sure you guy’s will.
Thanks for having me on board, now send me down the gauntlet line for a pants down boat oar spanking of the newbie!
Warren …you need a Volvo…great cars and comfortable. I prefer the real Swedish ones anything 98 or older.
Oh… I stand corrected on the milk, my wife say’s it’s like $3 something, all but $4 /gallon…either way you get my point. I’m not allowed to grocery shop anymore as all I brought home last time I did was a big bill and nothing but junk…I love Oreo’s!!! But 4 bags for a 2 week stint didn’t set very well with the wife?

Steve, try Sonnenbergs on Sprague @ Napa.

Vic, there is more than just me that needs to get into that mini van. My girlfriend is now wheelchair bound and I need to be able to load that too…as well as my 7 1/2" gauge stuff. Currently I can load the 2 of us, her wheel chair and the locomotive and riding car in the van all at one time by myself.

Tim Brien said:
A well known line from, I believe, a Joe Cocker song with reference to cricket - only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun (obviously referring to India as midday sun in England would no doubt be an overcast day).

Another was a bowler who was caught in slips after bowling a maiden over. This is purely a technical term with no reference to lingerie or to a woman’s ‘status’.

You’re about 50 years out of date. It was Noel Coward who had the song about mad dogs and Englishmen.

By the way, a Chinese woman once said to me that cricket was “a viable alternative to life”.

Warren Mumpower said:
Milk is baby food! Real men drink scotch. I do concede though, that milk comes in a much nicer container :-)

Scotch doesn’t do much for my cereal in the mornings…:frowning: But it does some really strange things with my Old Timer’s Meds I have to take twice a day…:frowning: :frowning: :frowning: I’m stuck with milk :confused:

For those fans of “Little Britain”.

They will understand what I mean, when, like David Walliams, I say it is “Bitty” for me.

“The worstest?”

You tart…

Kevin,
Joe Cocker had an album cover, Mad Dogs and Englishmen, with reference to your Coward song.

Tim Brien said:
Kevin, Joe Cocker had an album cover, Mad Dogs and Englishmen, with reference to your Coward song.
Ok since were on music who the heck did Peter Jones play with(from GR Mag.)?