Large Scale Central

Newqida has some new Observation Cars

From a distance, Stan, they look just like LGB’s or Piko’s. I might have to get a few for my Euro 0-6-6-0.

I can see them now…full of Clone Troopers and Droids…now on my short list to buy!

David Russell said:

Besides asshats are so yesterday , everyone is wearing hiney helmets these days.

Bravo!

I got mine in Chrome so I can have a Shiny Hiney!

They look like the cars on the trains at Roaring Camp in Felton, California that I rob on special weekends. This style car is hard to find and when you do, they are usually expensive.

Considering the reduction in manufacturers, Newqida may have some strong appeal with other rolling stock – such as Stan’s reference to their passenger cars.

Request:
Would owners of Newqida rolling stock and LGB/USA/Bachmann please make some comparative photos of Newqida and the other mfgs.? We may have a new appreciated source.

Wendell

Further…

On Google, I just checked Newqida’s photo collection. The Newqida loco photos are very persuasive – suggesting that attention to detail means trusted runability.

However, what was weird for me in this parade of photos was the untitled merger of photos into PIKO products. Now, is the commercial appeal here which is which? The PIKO quality in the photo images transfers nicely as the loco shells for either product looks very acceptable.

Is there any connection in any way between PIKO and Newqida ?

HJ may have the best insights here since he is multi-lingual.

Didn’t know that H-J was a Cantonese/Hakka speaker?

You learn something every day here…

FWIW - Neqida is a Chinese brand, PIKO is located in the former DDR - we used to buy a LOT of their H0 stuff while we were operating in the DDR - see BRIXMIS.

tac, also multi-lingual

I’m multi-lingual, too. I speak topsider and snipe.

Some of you here might understand. :slight_smile:

AFAIK Newqida is the proud copier of LGB rolling stock. Contrary to what some people believed/still believe Newqida built new injection moulds. Many years ago I did some dimensional and finish comparison of the Newqida car with the LGB car.

Newqida’s mould making techniques are a far cry from LGB’s, but then so is their price, too. I bought boxcars and tankers, best bang for the buck if one repaints and/or kitbashes. Mine are still awaiting the miraculous transformation to proper RhB cars.

BTW when I ordered mine I very carefully determined the sweet spot fro price and shipping, used to be 4 cars per shipment.

Note to tac the only Cantonese I’m very fluent in is the one spoken in Canton Zürich.

Ah, Tac’s compliment of HJ is still worthy. My guess is both of them are fluent in at least three languages
However, I was appreciating HJ’s ability to speak LGB – which maybe just Chinese now and no longer German.

Puedo hablarlo ingles solamente.

There is quite a difference between these latest “Tourist cars”, and the ones LGB produced. I’m not speaking of the LGB four wheeled European variety.

These latest ones are very European, but do resemble slightly the RC&BT models used out West.

The LGB ones were rather good models of the Durango & Silverton cars. The big difference is that the D&S cars do not have a platform or steps at each end, and are loaded from the coach running before or after the car. They also have passenger trucks which resemble the NG trucks used on The D&S and C&T. They also have roofs.

Yes the LGB cars were pricey, while in production, and worse now since they are hard to come by. Who knows; LGB may see a new demand for them and reproduce them…hopefully trimming the price !!

I’m fortunate enough to have three of them, and have ridden on one at the D&S…so I can safely say that they are good models of the real thing. They look real good after body mounting Kadee 820/1906’s on them…an easy conversion.

One of the ones I have; the previous owner had lowered the roof…I haven’t a clue why…

Fred Mills, BSc, BS, SD said:

One of the ones I have; the previous owner had lowered the roof…I haven’t a clue why…

Ah, isn’t that what some folks do to classic cars to make them look cool? Chop top, or some phrase like that

Asshat was uncalled for…

BUT

Garratt was already accused of being rude. That was uncalled for also.

Pointing out to anyone where a better forum to post in is NOT rude.

Pointing this out to someone on their first post is NOT rude.

Pointing it out to someone who has commercial gain is even more NOT rude.

Criticism is not by it’s nature automatically rude. Constructive criticism is not either.

Not defending either person. Rude uncalled for and untrue. Asshat uncalled for.

Anyway, it’s here now… (although if Paul had followed Garratt’s suggestion it would be in TWO places on the forum :wink:

Greg

Looks interesting- thanks for the posting Paul

Seeing Stan’s photo of a Newquida coach spruced up and customized would make me buy some if I was into Continental rolling stock.

Nice one Stan.

Thanks, Ross… That was a fairly easy “bash”…

I noticed that Paul has boxes of 4 coaches for $99… That’s a dandy price… They do have plastic wheels but when converted to metal wheels, they run extremely well…

Wait! Paul, who? Where? 4/$99? Shipping? How do I get these?

Lou,

I believe Stan is referring to this: http://www.hammondtoy.com/shop/agora.cgi?product=NEWQIDA

The boxes of 4 are at the bottom of page 1, and on page 2.

**Hans-Joerg Mueller said:**Note to tac the only Cantonese I’m very fluent in is the one spoken in Canton Zürich.

Teehee. I like that. :slight_smile:

tac

Thank you.

Verrrrry interesting!