Large Scale Central

Newqida has some new Observation Cars

http://www.hammondtoy.com/shop/agora.cgi?product=NEWQIDA

Garratt Steam said:

Steve, can you base anything on fact?

Andrew

Yes, Andrew, the forum to which you refer is a test, open to announcements from Tony and Mark, only. If you had bothered to check it out, you would have realized that.

I think I could use one of these cars.

The Little River RR had a bustling tourist trade that took folks up in to the splendor of the Smoky Mountains in Eastern Tennessee. It was amazing that they pulled this off on primarily a logging outfit.

I hope to learn a little more about these interesting cars from this thread.

Doc Tom

Tom Grabenstein said:

The Little River RR had a bustling tourist trade that took folks up in to the splendor of the Smoky Mountains in Eastern Tennessee. It was amazing that they pulled this off on primarily a logging outfit.

Doc Tom

The Newqida cars are loosely based on

(http://www.hsb-wr.de/typo3temp/pics/5b6fbcc579.jpg)

cars that run on the HSB (Harzer Schmalspur Bahnen.

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:

Tom Grabenstein said:

Doc Tom

The Newqida cars are loosely based on

(http://www.hsb-wr.de/typo3temp/pics/5b6fbcc579.jpg)

cars that run on the HSB (Harzer Schmalspur Bahnen.

Thanks HJ. Good info.

Doc Tom

Alan Lott said:

This range of low priced, if a little basic, models have been available in the UK.

They might start off as ‘basic’, but by the time they’ve had some care and attention paid them, they can turn out to be pretty good models.

Did you see that excellent article in ‘Garden Railways’ a couple of years ago? Where a clever and first-rate modeller converted a couple of Newqida passenger cars to the backdated’ Empire-era Hungarian cars running on the Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway?

What a truly superb job he made of them, too - slatted wooden seats [258 slats all told, it would appear], full interior with mirrors, timetables and touristy pictures, a bathroom, wood-floored verandahs with real chains and door locks as well as improved Norwegian couplings and high-grade wheels, too.

The custom signage and notices in the correct MáV font and a car-quality paint job finished off a truly magnificent effort!

Hold on, I’ve got the issue here - #215.

I bet he’s looking forward to getting a couple of these to replicate the Pacific Coast Scenic Railway tourist train.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

I’m liking the $5 switchs from Newquida, gonna have to get a few to test them out in the storage yard inside the barn

NEWQIDA TOYS FACTORY RIGHT HAND SWITCH PLASTIC NEWQIDA G SCALE TRAIN TRACKNEWQIDA TOYS FACTORY LEFT HAND SWITCH PLASTIC NEWQIDA G SCALE TRAIN TRACK

Here http://tinyurl.com/nknf84l you’ll find a lot of pictures both 1:1 and model.

Thanks for the proto photos. Since I love tourist lines, i probably will add a car.

Thanks Steve for clarifying the forum, someone must have had a bad day yesterday.

LGB used to produce a NG open air tourist car that was a great model of the ones used on the Durango & Silverton Railroad, which would be nice to have now. They were great models, but were a bit more expensive than the ones shown. The ones shown are slightly more European in looks. It would be nice if LGB was re-issue those cars at a comparable price, although they had roofs on them, which would justify a higher price.

I wonder if there is a market for them…?

Mark Dash said:

I’m liking the $5 switchs from Newquida, gonna have to get a few to test them out in the storage yard inside the barn

NEWQIDA TOYS FACTORY RIGHT HAND SWITCH PLASTIC NEWQIDA G SCALE TRAIN TRACKNEWQIDA TOYS FACTORY LEFT HAND SWITCH PLASTIC NEWQIDA G SCALE TRAIN TRACK

This post, by Mark, reminds me that a few years ago there was a lot of comments on the various fora about plastic track. One American company, from memory, did try to produce and market some but I believe the trials were not a success. I know Aristo did hint at plastic rail but there was no follow up.

Seeing this plastic track does arouse interest, for me, specifically in the areas mentioned i.e. train barns and storage areas. Out of the sunlight and weather it should last for years.

It would be interesting to hear reports from anyone who has laid this plastic track, its location and performance.

Didn’t take much to get the roofs off the LGB models.

Those cars bear a truly remarkable resemblance to the, uh, LGB product, doncha think?

Just sayin’.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

Train Li has plastic track they market to Live steamers, however it doesn’t hold up well outside, apparently Train LIE thinks live steamers operate indoors more than outdoors.

I have used several plastic tracks outside succesfully, from New Bright and Scientic, both apparently hold up just as good as Aristo ans unlike AML they haven’t faded in color yet… Then again I have several sidings with Bachman tin stuff that have been outside for 7+ years now…

John Bouck said:

Didn’t take much to get the roofs off the LGB models.

And they are quite handy for bashing errrr … kit-bashing. Just saying. Somewhere I have a largish Rubbermaid storage box with leftovers from those.

Bart Salmons said:

Garratt Steam said:

Steve, can you base anything on fact?

Andrew

You called someone who disagreed with your opinion an ‘asshat’ and a ‘halfwit’ I agree with Steve we are done with that sort of behavior here…

Untrue. I resented the projection that I was being rude to Paul Hammond which was not the case. Now you are conveniently projecting. Seems like a common trait with some people around here. I’m glad Steve cleared up my misunderstanding of the trialed forum and said something factual but he didn’t offer that advice in the first instance. It obviously took him many posts later to respond to my request.
Steve, there is nothing to suggest the manufacturers forums are a trial so there is nothing for me to check out as you have suggested.
I do not intend to make petty arguments but have noticed the clicky mothers club on this site that pick on individuals. I’ll continue to give it back as long as you continue to be the way you are.

Andrew

Garratt Steam said:

Hey Paul, There is a specific forum for manufacturers and dealers to announce new items.
You can have your own forum under ‘Vendors and Manufacturers’.

I think it is more appropriate to make your post there.

Andrew

No there isn’t a specific forum for Newqida or Hammondtoys - YOUR WRONG

as for the “I think” part - Who cares what you think and where you think a post belongs? Who the hell are you to police the forums?

your next post read “Didn’t you notice what is obvious.” - uncalled for and RUDE

Calling you rude is an observation of your writing style and mannerism, your little name slinging hissy fit just shows you can’t have an intelligent conversation without making or taking things personally.

:wink:

Besides asshats are so yesterday , everyone is wearing hiney helmets these days.

Throughout history there have been and are certain names that inflame passions to a great degree. Often the passions come in an indirect manner rather than a straight punch.

The first name of this thread is one of them.

It destroyed a Forum in the UK, don’t let it damage this great place.

I’ve been running a string of 4 Newqida passenger cars for many months on the PSCRR. Out of the box, I put metal wheels on them and they run extremely well behind an LGB 2085 0-6-6-0 with battery and REVOLUTION steam sound…

Even did some custom painting and special lettering (decals, don’tcha know) on the “end car” to “upgrade” it to a “business” class car… For the $$$$$, they’re very nice runners with great detail…