Large Scale Central

New track for my layout

Set of points

Wagon turntable

Sweet! What railroad is that from? Is that two foot gauge?

I love those funky little industrial railroads.

Ray
It’s the Leighton Buzzard Railway in England , about 40 minutes from where I live .
It is quoted as being 2 foot which is good enough for me , but some say 1’ 11and a half .
I measured it , and believe me , I would not put money on either size . The trains don’t seem to fall off though .
The little steam loco shown in the thread about boxy cabs runs on this , which is on old sand working which used to have a few miles of track to
carry sand to the transport head .The quarry is still worked , but uses trucks . Just about the whole line outside the quarry still exists and is used
by a preservation society having steam and diesel locos along with a lot of industrial rolling stock . It runs through a housing estate in the town ,
which must be fun for the kids .
I can always post more pics if anyone is interested .

Mike

Mike Morgan said:
[i][/i]. I can always post more pics if anyone is interested .

Mike

Post away! Now that you know how, there’s no stopping you :slight_smile:

I’m a fan of these little railroads too, but alas only from afar. The narrowest gauge I’ve had the pleasure to visit and ride is 3 Foot. Hope to get to Maine someday to see the two footers.

I like those points - they’d give long cars fits with their built in reverse curve. I’m looking at the photo trying to figure out if only the frog itself is straight. Sure looks that way - so now there is a prototype for a curved diverging route.

JR

I like critters too.

Nice one Mike.

Anything to please , even the Big Boxy Addicts will like these little boxy ones .

Mike EDIT – I forgot , the top one (2 pics ) is a Simplex of the WW1 Trench rail type , but heavily modified with a home built cab . I shall let you guess what the bottom one (4 pics ) is . It also has a rebuilt cab . Both loco’s done in the sand pit’s workshops , there is a definite “style” to the cab , all their cabs look similar . Ugly . My garden sheds are prettier .

Hi Mike, can I offer you some lever kits for your new turnout? There is a big pile in my neighbourhood.

OK, it is Metre-Gauge from the Selfkantbahn. But I am sure, you´ll fiddle that together. You can always regauge your 2 foot Simplexes and Listers. Have Fun Juergen Zirner

Why , thank you Juergen , it’s a nice offer , but would probably tip the track over judging by the counterbalance weights . ;<)

I must tell you , the Lister has one of those single cylinder “put-put” engines , you can hear it coming a mile away . Sorry . 1.6 km away .

OH to have enough land to be able to have something like this to play with

Hi Mike, well, these put-put listers are very popular at the Kraehwinkle 32mm layout. Sounds like an old Lanz Tractor.

Couln´t spare the money yet to give it a proper (Brtish Racecar) green painting. Had to invest on batteries and RC. This small IP Engineering model can be built for 45mm track as well and since it is in 1 : 19, it is suitable for the F-scale people. Have Fun Juergen Zirner

Jon Radder said:

I like those points - they’d give long cars fits with their built in reverse curve. I’m looking at the photo trying to figure out if only the frog itself is straight. Sure looks that way - so now there is a prototype for a curved diverging route.

JR

Looks like a Wye - or perhaps a “Why oh Why do things derail here?” :wink:

Juergen ,
That’s a handy looking model . I must get one .
As a point of interest . Lister made factory trucks as well as rail trucks , they made a standard power head and used it on a variety of chassis .
The factory truck was not too popular with the workers because of the little trail of smoke it left , but they were mainly used outside . At the factory
that I worked at before joining the RAF , the Listers had hydraulic ploatform bodies on which were driven under caged containers for transport of parts around the different production areas . They also used the containers on the main line train we had running into the factory to take the parts to
other facilities , either that or via the canal which also was alongside the factory . The last place I worked at had Lister 18inch guage locos with the
same power head on as the rubber tyred trucks . There was an extensive internal network connected to the main line .
One RAF base overseas at Shaibah had its own railway for carting the bombs around . So I have been lucky with my work places .
Mike

Jon ,
there is no straight section of track on that point set , we checked it on the ground there , because we intend to model it for our Put Put layout .
Mike

Hi ,

These Listers are a legend in England and Australia. Great for industrial layouts with tight curves.

The model I built is produced by http://www.ipengineering.co.uk/page73.html

You can glue the pewter together with this 5 minute epoxy or use low melt solder and a soldering iron with adjustable heat control. It is fairly heavy and pulls away more cars than the prototype ever did.

I think, nobody in this forum is modelling in 32mm gauge. I would be great for the Maine 2 feet prototypes in 1 : 20,3. Peco offers some lovely ready made Code 200 nickle silver track for it.
But of course, it is not difficult to nail down your own track. We had the track bed for our lines lasered, including the spike holes, which makes track laying a question of a few hours.

Have Fun

Juergen Zirner

Juergen ,
I model 32mm stuff , there is a photo somewhere of my quarry models on this site . Can’t remember where . I must be getting old .
Mike

Mike Morgan said:
Jon , there is no straight section of track on that point set , we checked it on the ground there , because we intend to model it for our Put Put layout . Mike
The curve carries through the frog itself? Even R1 switches have a short straight in the frog (I think).

JR

Jon Radder said:
The curve carries through the frog itself? Even R1 switches have a short straight in the frog (I think).

JR

Jon,

Maybe, but as far as the geometry goes it’s supposed to be one radius. A straight would be for manufacturing convenience only.

Hi, R-1 switches, at least if they are made by LGB are no models of the real thing, but toys. A straight piece of track combined with a curve. A prototype turnout may look like this. The frog is straight, not curved.

Light transportable ready made turnouts with small radi, e.g the Decauville system, sometimes was constructed like toy turnouts. The two feet gauge turnout from the Leighton Bussard line, which Mike introduced, has no straight rail sections. Have Fun Juergen Zirner

Hi,

just saw some beautiful models of listers at THE RUSTY BOLT, a new online magazine for the 7/8th modellers.
http://www.fbm-studios.com/rustypreview/TheRustyBolt_Fall06.pdf

Have Fun

Juergen Zirner