Large Scale Central

NEW SWITCH THROWS ON THE IPP&W RAILWAY

Plastic switch throws did not stand up well here in our northern climate. Over the years we tried a number of different store-bought replacements, but none had the durability we sought. A number of years ago, we adapted brass, barrel-bolts as switch throws. They proved to be rugged enough for both our climate and constant use during our railway operations.

They were inexpensive, easy to assemble, and required no maintenance except for an occasional spray with some silicon lubricant. The V spring provided both compression and tension to hold the switch points against the rail in either direction. It was made with tempered steel wire, sometimes referred to as piano wire, and was easily formed with pliers. When Mercer siding was built, it was realized that throwing switches on the ground was hard on our creaky old backs and knees. As the siding could not be raised, the switch throws were.

T bars were driven into the ground near the switches. An L shaped bracket was bolted to the top and drilled out to hold a choke cable. These cables are available at most auto part stores like Part Source here in Ottawa. Pulling or pushing the choke cable moves a 90 degree angle bracket connected to the throw bar, which in turn moves the switch points. Plastic tubing has been added to the exterior of the choke cables to prevent rusting, and the cables can be lubricated by adding oil to the top under the handle.

During the recent re-building of Nelson and Glen Hammond Yards, it was realized that moving the 90 degree angle brackets by hand could be used to throw the switches. This eliminated the need for the barrel bolts and V springs.

When a switch in a yard is out of reach, a choke cable is used to move the 90 degree angle bracket. The handle of the cable is mounted on the fascia of the yard deck nearby.

The following diagram details how the new switch throws have been mounted to the road bed. http://ovgrs.editme.com/files/Switches/Throw-H.bmp The new throws proved to be very reliable during our railway operations over the past month, which included two days of continuous operations during the American Invasion of Ottawa. In time all the switches on the railway will be updated with the new throws.

Great idea Paul. I always like learning new and cost effective ways of doing things. Thanks

Very slick idea! What is the distance from the most remote switch to where the operator throws it? That is, can you throw a switch from 5-10 feet away? I suppose you could if you can fasten the wire so that it won’t buckle. Maybe you can use a long, stiff rod 5-10 feet long. And then in one of your pictures you have a green and a red push pin, as if to indicate visually the position of the switch points. That works as long as you can see the L bracket relative to the push pins. I suppose you could also indicate switch point position at the choke cable handle when you can’t see the switch itself. Very slick idea!

Wouldn’t it be cheaper to just buy an “L” bracket, rather than all that hardware?

Steve Featherkile said:
Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy an "L" bracket, rather than all that hardware?
I'm pretty sure that's what they used... :o

At the Engine Terminal in Craig Leigh, there is one turnout throw choke cable at the Wye, that is probably 5 feet from the actual turnout and then there is a flat bar bracket that extends the cable further. The bar bracket can also be used to through the turnout and I’ve always thought that was the greatest idea. It literally allows the turnout to be changed from two different locations, depending on where the operator is standing.

nice!

Bruce Chandler said:
Steve Featherkile said:
Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy an "L" bracket, rather than all that hardware?
I'm pretty sure that's what they used... :o
I guess I got confused by what was described...

The “L” you say!

:lol:

Are the red and green pushpins simulated yard signals?

Art Sylvester said:
Very slick idea! What is the distance from the most remote switch to where the operator throws it? That is, can you throw a switch from 5-10 feet away? I suppose you could if you can fasten the wire so that it won’t buckle. Maybe you can use a long, stiff rod 5-10 feet long. And then in one of your pictures you have a green and a red push pin, as if to indicate visually the position of the switch points. That works as long as you can see the L bracket relative to the push pins. I suppose you could also indicate switch point position at the choke cable handle when you can’t see the switch itself. Very slick idea!

Hi Art! The choke cables are about 5 feet long. In the following picture you can see the cable is fastened to the yard deck with round staples which keeps it from buckling.

(http://ovgrs.editme.com/files/Switches/Throw-F.jpg)

You are right about the coloured pins on the deck. After using a switch, it is supposed to be returned to its mainline position indicated by the green pin, which is not always the non-diverging route. The choke cable handles are not marked. Although the switches may be out of reach, the Yard Masters are able to see which way the switch points move. In Dipple Yard there are 4 choke cable handles all in a row. They are not labeled, so you never know which switch is going to move. To make things more challenging, sometimes pulling the handle will open a switch (diverging route) and sometimes it will close it (mainline). I suppose you get use to it after a while. As Ric mentioned, two choke cables can be joined at a pivoting junction bar to extend their reach. The switch can be thrown by either the choke cable handle or the pivoting bar. This very handy at the Craig Leigh Wye because you do not have to run around the entire length of the engine service facility peninsula to reach the handle on the other side. http://ovgrs.editme.com/files/Switches/Throw-G.bmp Thanks for bring this my attention, I have added this diagram to the article on our club web site.

Greg Elmassian said:
Are the red and green pushpins simulated yard signals?

Hi Greg! Yes, the coloured push pins are a guide for the person in the train crew throwing the switches. When the crew is done switching an area, the switches should always be returned to their mainline position, which is not always the diverging route. As an example, the diverging route of the two switches in the bottom of this picture of Ironwood are the mainline.

(http://ovgrs.editme.com/files/Ironwood/Ironwood26.jpg)

BTW: This re-construction picture was taken prior to the installation of the pins. We are constantly looking for ways to make it easier for guests (and ourselves) to operate properly. Of course cost is an important factor, as there are over 100 switches on the railway.

Thanks Paul - Am I correct that with the new simplified design that friction on the pivot of the L bracket holds the points in place?

That’s a good idea Paul, the reason I asked was exactly what you explained, I do have 2 switches on the main line whose “normal” route is the diverging one also.

Greg

Jon Radder said:
Thanks Paul - Am I correct that with the new simplified design that friction on the pivot of the L bracket holds the points in place?

Hi Jon! Yes, the long screw and the lock washer in the stack above the bracket provide the right amount of tension to hold the switch points in either direction. http://ovgrs.editme.com/files/Switches/Throw-H.bmp I suppose if things got slack, another lock washer could be added in the stack below the bracket. That stack acts as a stand-off so the bracket is the same level as the throw bar. But it also allows people to move the bracket without dragging their finger nails across the road bed. I mentioned about adding an oval bead on a bolt to the free end of the bracket to be used as a handle. In this picture you can see a bolt has been added to the top of the bracket for that purpose.

(http://ovgrs.editme.com/files/Switches/Throw-E.jpg)

I like these throws better than the barrel bolt ones because you get feedback when you throw them. If there is a twig or pine needles in the points, you will feel it and know to clean the switch. In the pictures you will also notice the plastic throw bars have been replaced with brass ones. We found the end of the square hole in the plastic ones broke with constant use, or the screws holding the points to them came free. This is one of the many modifications Gord Bellamy makes to each and every switch before they are installed. His work is the reason all the switches on the railway function properly during our operations. I have been running trains at Fred’s for twenty years now. It is amazing the changes and improvements that have been made. Originally all the yards were topped with fiberglass screening and ballast. But cleaning, weeding, and re-ballasting the yards was a constant chore.

(http://ovgrs.editme.com/files/Track/Ballasting.JPG)

Note the infamous big spruce tree to the right of Brad in Nelson Yard. The ballast also held moisture and fouled the switches. I spent an afternoon in late June this year cleaning and lubricating all the old barrel bolt switches. A small cable tie was needed to push all the grit out from under each and every throw bar. Now the yards are just stained, pressure treated lumber. Not as pretty, but a lot more functional and maintenance free. A leaf blower can now be used to clean away the pine needles or debris in the spring or after a big storm.

(http://ovgrs.editme.com/files/Track/Ballasting.JPG)

And here I thought you were posting a pic of the early days of Railroading, Paul :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :wink: Figured that was Fred sitting in the chair.

Dave Marconi said:
And here I thought you were posting a pic of the early days of Railroading, Paul :) :) ;) Figured that was Fred sitting in the chair.
No, that’s the unpaid child labour the Rat Portage and Mattawa Railway, branch line partner of the IPP&W, used to refurbish Nelson Yard.

When they are not working on the railway, they’re grilling hotdogs and hamburgers for the Vice-Presidents of the railways. Heavy emphasis on the word vice. :wink:

I’ll just leave this here…

(http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/Shortybear/SmallerGord-n-Fred_1983.jpg)

Actually, we’d rather you didn’t. :slight_smile: