Large Scale Central

New shed

So that is basically a pickup pulled roll off trailer, like what garbage bins are delivered and picked up with, I drove a full size version for several years . Nice way to place that perfectly in the spot.
Now if only I could get a smaller version on my property, it will have to be a built on site , or at least assembled on site. And much smaller a 10 x 15 is about all I could squeeze into the area

i watched all three videos.

they remembered me again of the difference between first and third world.

we would do such a job as well with remote control.
but in a different manner.
i would stand well aside out of harms way, and would tell about a dozen workers, where to push and where to pull - by remote shouting.

John, I’m amazed that you and Korm watched the videos. I salute you both!

Thanks re the platform. It began as something more elevated in design, so it’s bolted on 8 6x6 posts that are concreted into 30" holes. Later I decided to make it shorter, and the posts almost disappeared.

I’d thought, why did I bother with that? But while watching Trailer Dude sliding the shed, and seeing the framework and posts bend and creak when a runner got caught, I was very thankful all was planted well! :smiley:

1 Like

I understand that you’re all engrossed in the Mik contest, and yes, it’s amazing to see all the participants and posts. Amazing and awesome!

My apologies for neglecting posting on my Mik project, this trackside shed.

It’s been a rainy January, but the last couple days have been spectacular: deep blue sky, no precip. Kinda chilly, but that’s February. So I’m happy to report that the deck leading to the shed is almost done.

This is an on-the-ground deck, using pavers as piers and 6x6’s as beams.

Lots of pounding and gravel futsing and levelling to get the piers are the right levels. Let’s say it all worked out fine, and I’ll avoid the tedious descriptions of all the ways it didn’t.

Then came setting the beams, which tended to reveal all the mistakes in my piers.

I pried up and jammed gravel beneath each pier as needed to get them to uniformly support the beams. That way, everything will begin with an even footing. And when half the piers or beams sink more than the others, the overall structure should even things out. Even if supported by only a third of the piers.

Anyway, that’s my theory. My alternative? A $3k minimum cement truck delivery, and I’d be responsible for all the forming and screeding of said concrete as it was deposited. Which would require a crew, and I was getting quotes of over $3k for that part. No; I decided on the $1k build-a-deck-on-the-ground.

I recently realized this deck approach allows rainwater to go somewhere. The slab approach would have made water (from a big area uphill) to flow over it… it would be a perpetual slime farm. So I’m more convinced this was the way to go.

Today’s fun bit, after the beams got all settled, was the planking.

It all looks like it’s on a plane, but no. The ramp is going down to meet the plane of the downhill-sloping concrete patio. Which required a slight twisting of the ramp, but it doesn’t show.

The main deck slopes on the same plane as the patio. But where it meets the left side of the ramp, it has to twist a little. I was expecting all along that there would be a step between the ramp and the main deck. I was very relieved this morning to find a way to make those two surfaces meet up.

So, that’s my “trackside structure” report, and further effort to get Bill distracted. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Yes Cliff, and YOU will be judged by your piers. :grin:

But more importantly looking at those massive wood beams, why aren’t you building a Howe Truss bridge across the gap?

And yes, you were successful in distracting me from the Mik.

Nice work Cliff.

I’m in the middle of figuring out how to convert a shipping container into a trainshed. And donate a sizeable portion to my wife in order to obtain the necessary approvals.

Do you have a track extension planned to run trains into the new shop?

Cheers
Neil

1)build/weld a shade roof on it. with open sides to let the wind pass.
2)put an oldfashioned aircondition into it (no split AC) doubles as stink-extractor.
3)plant tall bushes around it (relaxing wife’s eyes)
4) make a second wall with door just inside the doors. for easier access.
oh, and with your wet ground, 5)put it on long enough “legs” (for the wind to dry there and tools to reach snakes or other disturbances)
and, it might be better to opt for two 20ft containers instead of one 40ft (you can add a relative cheap roofed “patio” for cars or mashines between them)

edit: not recommendable: building a brick leanto to the container. that robs you of the option to move it easily.

Thanks, Neil. No, the elevations don’t work out for track to come in, but maybe down the road I’ll make a smaller shed for that, down the hill a bit.

I’ll be interested in seeing your conversion project, good luck!

Cliff
I think you were smart to order a shed as apposed to you building it, you tend to go overboard… :wink:
Looks nice and it’s probable too small…I’m up to 4 1/2 sheds… :kissing_smiling_eyes:

Looking good Cliff. I am glad for you that you keep a meticulous work bench and shop. When I see all that space I see a huge mess that nees to be cleaned up before I can work in there. I already need to clean the hobby room again and we won’t mention the garage. More space just means more places to pile junk out of place.

Thanks Devon. My garage is probably worse than yours… You can tell where the workbenches are only by the height of the mound.

Great work on the deck, Cliff. You need to hurry up and get all that ancillary stuff completed so we can watch your next modeling project. You know the Mik is almost complete and we all will need something to occupy our time and your the chosen one :smiley:

Good list Korm.

Shade roof is a must, and a veranda + deck out 1 side, that was part of the negotiations. At this stage the plan is to cut some of one side out and fit double doors, and a window for light.

Really should post an update rather than derail Cliffs thread…

Cheers
N

Have you considered getting a refrigerator container Neil? They’re using them in the Riverland here. Might be cost effective option

Hopefully Cliff finishes his trestle :kissing_smiling_eyes:

Derail away Neil, your work here gives me a bump in street cred! :grin:

Thanks for the vote of confidence Dan! And yeah, as Sean reminds me, it should be those trestles… :neutral_face: :grimacing:

1 Like

Already got the container Bill, it’s use for storage is coming to an end so it was sell or repurpose.

Insulating is one of the conundrums I have to solve (cheaply). Preferably with materials on hand - kinda my own version of Mik…

Cheers
N

1 Like

A bit of an update. Yeah, it’s still not Large Scale related, but it’s next to the layout and hopefully someday I’ll work on layout stuff in it, like trestles. Or at least think about doing so… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

About a month ago I completed the deck, and then finished the exterior paths and interior electrical, and installed a mini-split HVAC. I’m currently working on the insulation, and hope to get to the interior paneling soon.

Onward and sideways,
Cliff

You have to stop hanging around Devon.

Another bit of update. Last weekend I was able to finish the insulation, and then (a week ago Sunday) started the plywood paneling on the walls. Yesterday (Sunday), I finished that bit.

Here you can see the layout in the distance.

Yes, I need to maintain the layout and run trains… And I hope to do that soon!!

Next on the shed though are: ceiling plywood, trim (everywhere), filling/sanding, staining, and perhaps clear-coating. Then workbenches, shelving, flooring, and final furnishing.

And then… Sean, drumroll… those trestles I started eons ago…!

So much fun, so little time!!!

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Cliff