Large Scale Central

New shed

Jon, I’m glad you like it.
No, I did the building and electrical permits, but they didn’t suggest an occupancy permit / cert was needed (I didn’t ask :grinning:).

Thanks very much, Neil!

Did you put up a Rooster weather vane

Not yet Sean, I need to schedule a day or two to overthink it.

Twenty-ish bucks off Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Lazy-Scroll-Rooster-Weathervane-Wrought/dp/B0979R6SF2/ref=asc_df_B0979R6SF2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=693712983295&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17816904329698232612&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001783&hvtargid=pla-2065526428985&psc=1&mcid=2f5763204be13a3d93d32f577217bd63&gad_source=1

His is on the right​:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Nice find, thanks Bob.

However, I’m needing to vent the roof a little more, so I’m considering something like this:

I need to see what the shed manufacturer recommends (it was an option I declined, but shouldn’t have).

See, this is where the overthinking kicks in… Like installation details; does the kit come with all needed flashing; will the copper stand up, or do you have to coat it, but with what; should I get screens on the cupola to keep bugs out, and does that even work; what does it do in the snow; do all the louvers ice up and, with the heat under the roof, start dripping down on my insulation and ceiling; should the hole thing be cosmetic, and if so maybe punt on the cupola and just get a cheapass rooster to make Sean shut up :crazy_face:; etc.

Might be a fall project, when things get cooler. Fall of 2025. That should give me plenty of pondering / procrastination time.

I thought it was a theme, considering you have one on the mill

You thought right Sean! :laughing:
Now I feel guilty for saying shut up, I was just messing with you Buddy!

Honestly Sean that’s profiling anyway!

You want a theme for Cliff well here’s one !

A ʎssnd chasing butterflies seems about right to me!

Aw heck Rooster;

Mine just serves as my track inspector!

Keep on Trackin’, David Meashey

Why stick him up on the roof? Have him stand guard at the entrance

buddies

1 Like

I think some bull is needed, the grandkids wanted it so bad, but we were on a 11 day trip and there was no room for it and no roof rack on the suv!

Thanks Rooster, but I’ll just stick with the rooster theme. Or at least a variant.

:innocent: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :crazy_face:

Perhaps you should think about Bill for when he shows up for ShedOps 2024

Um, would one call that critter a roo-ster??

Ducking and weaving, David Meashey

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

More work this weekend on the shed exterior. The drainage hasn’t worked great around the uphill side of the little deck, and it’s tough to wheel heavy stuff from the driveway to the deck and into the shed. And along the uphill side if the shed, it’s way too steep to mow with the John Deere.

So… the plan is:

1. Make a ramp from the deck to meet the lawn “at grade.”
  2. Install a drain box uphill near the corner of the house to get rid of some of the rainwater.
  3. Build a retaining wall on the uphill side of the shed to define the lawn border, level it out some (to make it mowable), and also help divert rain water around to the far end of the shed.

Sorry for being so long winded, but yesterday I was able to clear the ramp area and set the pavers for its beams. A 9x9 canopy tent really saved my bacon from frying in the sun.

This morning set the beams, did final leveling, and laid 4 planks to hold them in place.

The ramp needs more gravel and the rest of its planks, and some brickwork or something at the lawn interface.

Later today I dug for, planted, and arranged rocks around a new drain box at the front corner of the house. Needs more tuning for flow, but the thunder started and as soon as I got all the tools put away a big storm hit.

I more or less hurt all over, but that’s fine, I’m happy these two big (for me) tasks are about done.

Which leaves the multi-week retaining wall effort… which makes my back hurt thinking about! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Home depot delivered the blocks and planks yesterday, less than 23 hours after I placed the order. A pleasant surprise, I expected them to take a few days. So after work today I did a bit more thinking about where the retaining wall should go.

The tape represents (sort of) the intended top of the soil. I have to slowly dig out a shelf for the lowest block tier, starting at the far end of the shed, bringing the shed-side dirt to a reasonable walkway level around the shed. I’ll step up that shelf in 4" steps (the height of a block) when it seems good to do so.

I only want to go 3 to 5 blocks high; but I’ll add layers of block it reaches that tape level, or until it seems like the slopes are all ok for mowing and drainage. At the top of the ramp the blocks will be a shallow curb between ramp area and grass.

There will be another rock “outcropping” where that near tarp is, sort of mirroring the foreground rocks.

I also cut the ramp planks, which at the moment are just thrown down in place.

Cheers,
Cliff

1 Like