Large Scale Central

New Outdoor Pizza Layout

Reworked part of the backyard to get rid of an old fountain that we discovered was a mosquito factory. Added some raised 2x6 boards and gravel and moved the Aristo circle of track and 2x4 buildings from the wine barrel layout. I replaced the wine barrel with some HLW circle track so I’m hoping it will be more durable now. This is now a permanent fixture in the yard. Going to relocate the wine barrel layout but I have to transfer it to a better roller base. This is the same raised bed planter technic I am planning to use for the bigger layout, which I am trying to clear out the rabid bamboo and the tree that grew back after cutting it down after last years rains.

Outdoor Pizza w tree pic01

Outdoor Pizza w tree pic02

What is the radius of the curves?

Is the Mack motor block stock HLW or is it modified?

Stock Mack, the circle is the last of my Aristo 31"diameter

well, you managed to work in a bit of straight track this time.

next step: fire up the industrial strength weed wacker to solve the bamboo problem…

Or get a couple pandas

Tim said:

well, you managed to work in a bit of straight track this time.

next step: fire up the industrial strength weed wacker to solve the bamboo problem…

LOL I like the pandas idea. Once I cut it back I’m going to have to rent a rototiller to clear the roots out and keep a bottle of Roundup handy to blast any new sprouts.

Won’t a rototiller chop up and mix in the root bits, causing more sprouts?

Vic Smith said:

LOL I like the pandas idea. Once I cut it back I’m going to have to rent a rototiller to clear the roots out and keep a bottle of Roundup handy to blast any new sprouts.

I control mine by cutting with a shovel, pulling em up and tossing the roots in the firepit. Any bit of rhizome left in the ground will grow more. If you want to kill it, use the super concentrated roundup poured down the hollow of shoots cut close to the ground.

Or we could use Napalm, or Agent Orange…

David Maynard said:

I have some gasoline handy :wink:

David Maynard said:

It’s some tough plant! And fast growing! We measured a cane every day for a few weeks and it averaged 7 1/2" a day! Also it can spread underground 15-20’ in a season and I’m in the Northeast (zone 6a)

Oops! are we still on topic?

Tim said:

Just cutting bamboo down won’t eliminate it. It is very aggressive. You have to dig out ALL the roots if you don’t want it to regenerate! Don’t ask me how I know. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Well, looks like I will be dismantling this layout… but don’t panic I will then rebuild it. Reason being we want to plant a small tree in the spot to help control the heat on the west side of the house. The tree will be planted in the spot currently occupied with the 2 brick paver in the center of the pictures. I have to dismantle the layout though because I used gravel fill for the whole thing so now I have to dig out the gravel and backfill it with soil for the tree. I will extensively document it in it’s current situation so I can reset the stonework in the same pattern and replace the buildings. This is a plus guys I will take pics and post as I can.

Looking forward to the ‘as-built survey’ pics.

Vic Smith said:

This is a plus guys I will take pics and post as I can.

Looking forward to it considering we are polar opposites! However you did offer me my very first Amtrash for purchase so I need to take that into consideration!

(https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Oops what I thought would take a couple days only took a couple hours. Once I got the rocks and track off, I was quickly able to take off the upper 2" layer of gravel. Once I had the weed barrier exposed I discovered that I had used a mix of gravel and soil underneath. So again I was able to quickly dig down to the layer of sand that was the original base material when it had a water fountain. So compost, then the tree went in, more compost on the sides and the rock was quickly filled back in. Track went down quick, did replacing all the stones. I had to act quickly so I didn’t get any pictures of the operation as I was trying to get it done before 4th of July preps had to happen. Will take pics of the finished layout. It was far less complicated than I expected, also I wanted to get it done before SWMBO could make any recommendations (Imperial Directives) pics tomorrow when I can resize and upload them to the freight shed

Vic Smith said:

Oops what I thought would take a couple days only took a couple hours. Once I got the rocks and track off, I was quickly able to take off the upper 2" layer of gravel. Once I had the weed barrier exposed I discovered that I had used a mix of gravel and soil underneath. So again I was able to quickly dig down to the layer of sand that was the original base material when it had a water fountain. So compost, then the tree went in, more compost on the sides and the rock was quickly filled back in. Track went down quick, did replacing all the stones. I had to act quickly so I didn’t get any pictures of the operation as I was trying to get it done before 4th of July preps had to happen. Will take pics of the finished layout. It was far less complicated than I expected, also I wanted to get it done before SWMBO could make any recommendations (Imperial Directives) pics tomorrow when I can resize and upload them to the freight shed

I need you to come here. I find that a project ALWAYS takes longer than I originally thought - especially if I am doing the work.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

Pics finally

Outdoor Pizza w tree pic03

Outdoor Pizza w tree pic05

Nice pictures! Do you have one that shows the layout in perspective? So we can see all that is around it?

Vic,

Somehow I missed this and with the new site I can see some pictures.

Since I have a bro crush on you can I get a couple pics to check it out.??? Your pizzas are a huge inspiration to me.

And aren’t mosquitos just scale birds???