Large Scale Central

New layout ideas

I started thinking about my new layout and what I want. This forum will serve as my honey do list. That way I don’t forget anything.

A lot will depend on the yard. The new yard will be plenty big for a layout so I don’t see being limited. Some ideas that I have are:

Track Plan - I want a small layout 100-150ft mainline. I’m thinking about doing a layout with return loops on either end (something like Kevin Strong and Eric Shade) I like this plan because it will allow me to build along the perimeter of the property or house without taking up a lot of space. Plus I wont need as much track. This will all depend on the property.

I want to add some mountains to the layout especially inside the return loops and behind the track that connects the loops. Somehow I would like to add a switchback up the mountain for my logging camp and operations.

I’m going all out with the track by hand laying. I started to order the materials that I will need and will start cutting the ties soon, that way it will be one less thing to do. I know I might be crazy but nothing looks better then wood ties. Since the layout wont be big handlaying wont be too bad.

Know that Im into live steam I want the mainline to be level. That way I can drive my trains rather then use RC. I also want the layout to be partialy or fully elevated.

The new layout will have lots of spruce trees to creat forests especillaly inside the return loops.

I wold love to have a creek running along the layout, nothing big but something that will allow me to put in a working mill with water wheel. It has to be easy to maintain. Ill also add a sprinkler system so I dont have to hand water every night.

I will still keep the tracks hooked up to electric that way people can still run sparkies.

Feel free to add any thoughts and ideas.

All good goals Shawn. In the old days of Model Railroader Mag this was called your “Givens and Drurthers”.

A couple of thoughts…

If the return loops will be out of view behind the mountain, save some of your manufactured track to use in these areas. No need to make it pretty if it can’t be seen.

Return loops are great for battery & live steam, but pose some problems with track power if you have a single main line connecting the loops. A dual track main solves that by creating a dog bone loop. The electrical problems of a single track with return loops can easily be solved with polarity switches, but rules out a continuous run as you must stop, throw the polarity switch, then change loco direction before proceeding.

Do a folded dogbone layout, that way you can gets the benifits of Ks dogbone without the wiring issues. You end up with a dual track mainline or you can add space between the tracks for structures or plantings.

I don’t see a tunnel mentioned?

I sure like my switchback to the gold mill.

Tunnel and trestles will be part of the layout. I just might do the dog bone because of wiring issues two less switches on main line as well and as Vic mentioned so I can add plants and structures. I should have plenty of track. All good ideas so far.

Everything on benchwork, like Richard Smith’s.

If I ever had to rebuild, that’s what I would do.

John Bouck said:

Me too. And I had (still have) the perfect opportunity heading out into the back yard. If I had done that I’d be outside today running trains instead of sitting here complaining of a back ache.

Yep…hard to beat Fr Fred’s 2x technology…

John Bouck said:

I still prefer the garden aspect and being able to dig in the dirt. Plus with bench work its hard to blend in with the surrounding area.

Shawn Viggiano said:

I started thinking about my new layout and what I want. This forum will serve as my honey do list. That way I don’t forget anything.

A lot will depend on the yard. The new yard will be plenty big for a layout so I don’t see being limited. Some ideas that I have are:

Track Plan - I want a small layout 100-150ft mainline. I’m thinking about doing a layout with return loops on either end (something like Kevin Strong and Eric Shade) I like this plan because it will allow me to build along the perimeter of the property or house without taking up a lot of space. Plus I wont need as much track. This will all depend on the property.

I want to add some mountains to the layout especially inside the return loops and behind the track that connects the loops. Somehow I would like to add a switchback up the mountain for my logging camp and operations.

I’m going all out with the track by hand laying. I started to order the materials that I will need and will start cutting the ties soon, that way it will be one less thing to do. I know I might be crazy but nothing looks better then wood ties. Since the layout wont be big handlaying wont be too bad.

Know that Im into live steam I want the mainline to be level. That way I can drive my trains rather then use RC. I also want the layout to be partialy or fully elevated.

The new layout will have lots of spruce trees to creat forests especillaly inside the return loops.

I wold love to have a creek running along the layout, nothing big but something that will allow me to put in a working mill with water wheel. It has to be easy to maintain. Ill also add a sprinkler system so I dont have to hand water every night.

I will still keep the tracks hooked up to electric that way people can still run sparkies.

Feel free to add any thoughts and ideas.

You forgot “Shut Up” Rooster!

So I will be thinking and planning ideas for you!

It sure is fun planning for a new RR.
Maybe your new yard will have a bit of a slope to it and you can take advantage of that to have both a elevated section and a ground level RR? My backyard is sloped and I can tell you the ground level gives me the most problems and requires the most maintenance. If your new yard is level you could dig away sections to give yourself something to bridge.

I think a RR needs a place to go and a reason to go there. Your logging operation is really cool so tell your crew they gotta pull stakes and move to some new timber.

I like the idea of the folded dog bone for continous running and of course you will need a tunnel, trestle and a few bridges along the route.

One of my favorite features on my RR is a WYE. I just love watching a train work its way through it.

Happy RRing

Thanks guys. Only rule for you Rooster is keep the ideas with steam in mind…

Shawn Viggiano said:

John Bouck said:

I still prefer the garden aspect and being able to dig in the dirt. Plus with bench work its hard to blend in with the surrounding area.

I don;t think so…

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/bart_salmons/_forumfiles/07141304.jpg)

Now…if yer gonna handlay…there are a few theings you HAVE to get…

http://www.switchcrafters.com/ez-catalog/X381875/16/TS375

The Spiker…you cannot live without this…here is another that I turned my nose up at for years…but then got one…now I have two, and wouldn’t trade them for anything…

http://www.micromark.com/spike-insertion-plier,8242.html

Ya don’t know how many times I’ve fumbled a spike try to get it started only to have it bend over or shoot out into the great unknown, never to be seen again…

I made my own spiking pliers by grinding out a set of old needle nose pliers with a Dremel cut-off wheel. Works OK, but I’m sure the precision made ones work better.

Yes, definitely the Spiker! And the medium spikes that you can get from him. I had larger spikes, but they pop up year after year. I’ve only got a couple of years with the Spiker + medium spike combination, but I see NO evidence of pop up.

OH yeah…I fergot to mention…get a good supply of minature wood screws…#2 x 1/2 is good…strategically placed in problem areas like rail joints and curves and turnouts…they won;t pop out and a couple will do wonders for stengthening a section of track, and get the brass ones so that they weather in…

I join the other johns, jon and john. I’m presently building the new, much enlarged, Littleton and Smallville Railroad. Up to this iteration my track was around kneehigh.
I’m 65, 6’2". Nuff said. All the new trackage is set on benchwork <>39" above ground.

Shawn’s a young guy. :wink:
Give it another 25 years, Shawn!

I’m 63 and still enjoy crawling around with my kneepads. I gave all my knee problems to my wife.

Is the Littleton and Smallville Railroad going to have to be renamed?

Doug Arnold said:

Is the Littleton and Smallville Railroad going to have to be renamed?

That’s actually a good question, because the pike is based, albeit with considerable poetic license, on the prototype Portland and Ogdensburg RR, so insiders sometimes refer to it by that name, and to the two main towns by the names of the prototypes…
Lately, with all research coming in to me from buddies and with the planning conferences around here, the names Portland (ME) and Ogdensburg (NY) have been getting bandied around quite a bit.
Even I’m beginning to get used to it, and on the official plan, the towns are now listed as Littleton (Portland, ME) and Smallville (Ogdensburg, NY).
Bet you wish you hadn’t asked! :wink: