Large Scale Central

New Layout - Finally!

Several years after pulling the old “on ground” layout, and two years after getting a turntable and wood for an elevated layout I have started rebuilding. I started with the yard. Its a 30 foot deck in 5 separate sections. They are on 4x4 PT posts set on paver blocks and concrete blocks.

Looks off in the pics but the laser says its within 1 inch over 30 feet. Next was cutting and screwing deck boards to the framework and attaching the turntable to the benchwork. The TT came from Marty Cozad and was sized and built by him to handle his Big Boy locomotive.

The yard trackage was designed by committee. Headed by Doug Matheson and crewed by several others of the brain trust it was designed over a couple of sessions.

Its simple but has the features it was agreed were needed for a narrow gauge line. The remainder of the layout will consist of a live steam loop attached to this and will circle the low area shown here.

It ends up being about a 23 ft diam. curve to get around the low area. Eventually spur lines will come off the loop and go into the tree area shown here.

Neat, Andrè! Good to see that progress. Looks like you have a lot of land to fill.

good looking sturdy workmanship… :slight_smile:

Lookin good Andre, glad to see you got started before the snow moved in.
Is Norm on his way up ? I wish I had that much room.

Bout time! How long of a building season do you think you have left?

Looking good. Is it done yet? :slight_smile:

Mighty fine work for an old decrepit retiree! :wink: That looks like it’ll stand up fine to the snow loads you’ll get up there. The board top decking may well be a wise choice for your location and…8" deep framing? Great!

Just one suggestion though; you might need some sway bracing between the legs, especially laterally. Of course I’m an advocate of “over building”.

Richard Smith said:
Mighty fine work for an old decrepit retiree! ;) That looks like it'll stand up fine to the snow loads you'll get up there. The board top decking may well be a wise choice for your location and...8" deep framing? Great!

Just one suggestion though; you might need some sway bracing between the legs, especially laterally. Of course I’m an advocate of “over building”.

I was wondering about the sway bracing, too.

OTOH, I get a pretty good snow load on my benchwork, too, and haven’t had any problem, even with 4 feet of snow on it and my daughter’s 130 lb malamute dog dancing on top of it. It will even solidly support me in the summer. I use 2 X 6 framing because Richard said he wished he had done so, with 4 X 4 vertical support.

Those fields in background could allow for some pretty neat photos of the layout.

(http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g5/lkydvl/Elevated%20layout%20Area/IMG_4777.jpg)

You need more bolts in them legs and not self tappers but drilled through carriage bolts countersunk with nylon impregnated locking nuts. Metal hurricane ties at all your joints wouldn’t be a bad idea either as too handle the snow loads in your area. Then and only then… perhaps that R.H outside leg won’t lean in so much? :wink:

Rooster, it’s an optical illusion, :slight_smile:

BTW Andre, looking good so far. Get some track on that deck and run abit.

track is laid and tacked down. Ran an Annie thru the yard this evening and even got a spin on the TT.

(http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g5/lkydvl/Elevated%20layout%20Area/IMG_4784.jpg)

(http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g5/lkydvl/Elevated%20layout%20Area/IMG_4780.jpg)

(http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g5/lkydvl/Elevated%20layout%20Area/IMG_4782.jpg)

Next is switch throws and a few throw bars. Plotted the north half of the stream loop this evening. 25 ft diam.

Andre,

Glad to see an engine was run, I think that makes it a completed project. Now everything else is just expansion and future development. :wink: “Just add water and watch it grow”.

Adding water in the form of sweat right Ric?

Nice job Andre’! You guys are really selling me on a raised or at least a partially raised layout!

Chas

Chas,

I don’t know how it works, whether its rain or sweat. All I know is that when people put track outside, the layout just seems to constantly get bigger.

Looking good Andre. From an operations standpoint I think you will be glad you built elevated. With the new job I’m getting more exercise and loosing weight, but two weekends ago at Bob’s I was wishing more of his industries were elevated :slight_smile:

Ya don;t really get a sense for how big it is til ya see the Annie on it…

Jon Radder said:
but two weekends ago at Bob's I was wishing more of his industries were elevated :)
The way I figure it, every 5 years or so I can add 6" under the track. By the time I can't bend over, the RR should be at waist height! :)

lol, Bob… way to plan… :slight_smile: