Large Scale Central

New freight cars

Got one in Harrisburg too Ken just off 283

And one in York at E Market St and Memory Lane

Along with the rest of my train work I was able to visit M.T.'s car shops this week to see the progress being made on his new freight cars. The flat cars seem to be ready for stake pockets, that need to be fabricated.

The box cars were being worked on during my visit.

The basic shape

interior with end stiffeners.

With side stiffeners and roof former’s ready to be installed. All parts cut and fit. M.T. informed me that his crew may well work Saturday, as the need for the new cars is well worth the overtime that will be paid. We need to keep our customers happy. The new jigs that were made for the car framing have paid off, in that the day spent making the jigs and the half day mounting the cut saw on its own table saved the shop two weeks of labor costs.

Lookin good!

Looking real good Dave. What is the white material? Looks too thick for styrene. Is it 3mm PVC board? If so, what make the texture on the outside?

Jon,
The white is cover sheets of, I think, ABS plastic. We have a bath remodelers company where I work. The cover sheets are used to ship their shower enclosures,and are made of the same material. I measured it out at .125
They come smooth on one side, and have a pebble texture on the other. The scribing on the box cars is a scale 4" wide done with knife and straight edge. Good thing about the material is I have it in 6 differant colors and can pick and choose my base color.

I thought you were retired!

Anyway, nothing like free materials from work. My problem is that where I work there is just way too much useful stuff going in the dumpster every day; Coroplast, styrene, PVC board, Aluminum sheet, polycarbonite and Lexan scraps are made available to me almost daily. I bring the stuff home and most of it piles up. Good thing we have get-togethers every once in a while where I can pawn it off on people like Ken who will actually use it :slight_smile:

Looking good Hollywood…
Hey Jon …don’t forget your buddy Rooster??

A real assembly line going there Hollywood. Looking great so far.
PS. Jon, I thought he was retired as well. Maybe he has a stealth job that we are not supposed to know about. :wink:

Hey Jon
I should schedule a Saturday to run down there with my truck and grab piles of it off you!

Bob McCown said:
Hey Jon I should schedule a Saturday to run down there with my truck and grab piles of it off you!
Have you used up all that stuff I dropped of in September already ?

Seriously, do some experimenting withe the acrylic I left with you to see if it will glue up OK. If it does, I have 3 or 4 large faces that are destined for the dumpster that could be cut into fairly large pieces.

They are looking real nice Hollywood. Nothing looks better then kitbashed rolling stock.

Fine job, Hollywood.
I expect the fleet to be completed when I visit this Spring.
Fire station too :wink:
Ralph

Jon Radder said:
Bob McCown said:
Hey Jon I should schedule a Saturday to run down there with my truck and grab piles of it off you!
Have you used up all that stuff I dropped of in September already ?

Seriously, do some experimenting withe the acrylic I left with you to see if it will glue up OK. If it does, I have 3 or 4 large faces that are destined for the dumpster that could be cut into fairly large pieces.

The fairly thick white stuff (about 1/4") SEEMS to glue up OK with WeldOn #16. I surface-glued two pieces together and clamped them, and then pulled it apart after a couple of days, VERY hard to do, so I think the glue works fine on it.

Thanks Bob -

I never know exactly what the used signs are made from. For new ones we use Lexan or polycarbonate. The Lexan is quite flexible and actually comes on rolls. The polycarbonate is not and will shatter. Lexan is the preferred material because it can be purchased off a roll cut to any length and doesn’t shatter when a branch is blown into it in a wind storm. Of course there are many different “brands” that may differ a bit chemically a bit.

Rooster - If I can make York in the spring, I’ll bring a trunk load for my "Alcove: buddies :slight_smile:

Dave - Since I hijacked your thread, I’ll bring something special for you. Don’t know what it is yet.

Not a big deal Jon. It adds to the page count. :slight_smile: Hope I’m one of the alcove buddies. Maybe we can swap materials :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Fer sure dude :slight_smile:

Update on the progress. I’ve been able to get the stake pockets on the flats and started the decking.

On the boxcars I’ve got the roofs on both of them.

I also drilled for the truck mounts on both boxcars.

Then I had three more frames made up so I decided on a few gondolas for my fleet

My next step is to start making the small detail parts so it may be awhile before an update

I hope you guys making such nice scratchbuilt rolling stock realise you will likely be the cause of impoverishment of the RTR makers. :wink:

I’d buy their stuff Tony, but they don’t make the cars I run :slight_smile:

Thank you