Large Scale Central

New freight cars

I’m about finished my passenger car set and the line is in need of freight equipment. I used a review of past postings and articles in various Model magazines to design a generic freight car frame. I made a jig that I can use to make cars of two different widths and 3 different lengths for 6 varieties. Pieces were cut ahead of time from 3/4" lumber ripped to scale sizes. I needed jigs for the bolsters and pads, and for the angled spacers of 2 differant sizes. Jigs do make life easy. I have assembled 9 frames so far and started cutting the 2x scale lumber for the decks.

The frame

Looking down on the clearances

On trucks checking for any problems. I’ll get back on this as progress is made

Looking good so far…a bit of an assembly line going there.

The jig was smart thinking :wink:
Now where’s that fire station :smiley:
Ralph

He’s retired now…don’t think he wants to see another fire station. :slight_smile:

Building material is being gathered for my winter projects

Nice looking frame Dave. I’d like to see the jigs.

…grinning…

nice lookin chassis… :slight_smile:

Jon , I’ll get pics of the jigs tomorrow

Cool. No hurry.

It’s now “tomorrow”…where’s the pix? :wink:

As promised here is a pic of the jigs I used for this build

The bottom two smaller jigs are from left to right: bolster support blocks on extreme left bolsters on inside of same jig has an angled block in it brace jig for two sizes of bracing The main jig has one section for 81/2’ wide cars, and one section for 9’ wide cars.Both sides are marked off to 50’ scale and marked for 38’,40’ and 50’ cars though they will handle other sizes. Also for this build I mounted my mini chop saw to make duplicate parts

Top side of mounted chop saw

Bottom of mounted saw Hope these help Ken :blush: :blush:

Nice. I have the same saw…now I need to mount it like that…

Yes, immensely, thanx!

I may have to acquire one of them there little saws…:wink:

Bruce the fence is 3/4" and the deck is 1/2" so I can get full use of blade without hitting the metal base

Ken it was $25.00 at harbor freight when I got it

Real Nice!!!
Huumm…I may have to borrow that considering I know how to sneak by the dog!
I believe you found the macro setting on the camera as well.
:wink:

I love that little saw, use it to cut rail. I should post some pics of my indoor test track that somehow has raged out of control

Dave Marconi said:
Bruce the fence is 3/4" and the deck is 1/2" so I can get full use of blade without hitting the metal base

Ken it was $25.00 at harbor freight when I got it

Kewl…found out a few weeks ago there’s a Harbor Freight up in Lancaster…how convenient…:wink:

Theres one in Kenova WV too …And I recall seeing one in plaza somewhere between Straussburg and York…

Bart Salmons said:
Theres one in Kenova WV too .......And I recall seeing one in plaza somewhere between Straussburg and York.....
Yes, on Rt 30 just east of Lancaster. Just saw it myself about a month ago coming back from Ohio right after I got off Rt 283. (and here all this time I've been going to the one in Dillon, SC on the way to and from FL.........)