Large Scale Central

NBRR-v4.0: I need a track plan-and I need your help

#3 looks good
Could you move the passing siding up on the right between the two loops to the outside along your wall, this would give you room for building… At the top put a spur behind the tree going towards the left ( small engine house ? )

Sean. kinda like this…?

I’d like to make this end either a quarry scene or a branchline engine house like Sean mentioned.

Tom, will work on those suggestions today and report back.

Yes that’s what I was thinking…

Hmmm how about a “Y” in there as well?

To me, its beginning to look like a spaghetti bowl. Where are you going to put buildings, plants, and so on.

took the above suggestions and did this:

it’s a snap to create an outer loop. building the center always seems tough, especially when you want to please as many kids at the same time as possible…

OK looks better I think.

Steve has a good point with to much track.
Hmmmm
That rake is pointing to a nice place for a hill with a two track tunnell , pull the inner loop towards the outer loop.
You could start the hill in the corner to the right of the rake and go across the two tracks.
Just a thought.
Now run some trains before you set it in concrete, to see if everything works.

Cale, The pasta reference is one opinion. I think that before you finalize your plans, Hook up the track in a temp config, and run some trains around and see if it’s what YOU like, and your way of running trains.

You will find bugs, and stuff that might not run the way you like to run. Then move it around and make it run the way you like. After a few weeks of play running, you will find what works for YOU.

The emphases is on your likes. Once it fits four running style, then start to ballast.

Do plan where your structures will fit, if you are going to have any at all. Again keep it temp for the time being.

Have some fun and run some trains before winter set in…

MY $.02

we’re hosting our 2nd Annual Applebutter on Oct 11th.

My goal is to have trains running by then…(I work better under pressure)

I may shoot for the outer loop by then and fill in the inner as time allows…?

you got me wondering if y’all are just sitting back laughing while I go up and down the ladder…

the inner is now only tied to the outter on the ‘rear’ of the layout

I even considered going back to pic 1 with the Xing between the stones and freeing up more room along the front passing siding.

Have you considered “Givens and 'Druthers?” Maybe you are getting ahead of yourself, laying down track without asking yourself what it is you want the railroad to do.

Givens=have to haves

Druthers=want to haves

Steve Featherkile said:

To me, its beginning to look like a spaghetti bowl. Where are you going to put buildings, plants, and so on.

Yep, I get that impression, too. However …

Givens-roundy rounds

Duthers-smiling kids

this is entirely for the entertainment of my kids…a few small buildings to add some realism for them, along with purposes for the RR to exist…

all of that, and to put to use this pile of stuff that I’ve been unable to bring myself to sell…not to mention the little ones who have never seen (or remember) our old GRR that have spent the better part of a year or 2 begging me to get the trains running-again.

I’m open to suggestions, hence the thread.

Is that enough to keep you and your kids from getting bored after several times around? Hook up your track and see.

I’d move the smiling kids to the givens. :slight_smile:

Planned Structures/Scenes

Building Facades to run length of Passing Siding

Farm Scene at narrow turn

(https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-vg34z10ALmU/VCMBTNYZaII/AAAAAAAAAWA/F5GPfmIRQ5M/w366-h274-no/IMG_20140924_133458_523.jpg)

Quarry or Derelict Engine Shed

(https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-houksqCwmwk/VCMBRmeCHnI/AAAAAAAAAV0/9KF2yzVoFbk/w366-h274-no/IMG_20140924_133510_300.jpg)

Inner Loop Industry Siding

(https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-g3_uQVEo5eI/VCMBPiWDRKI/AAAAAAAAAVo/shu7id76Re8/w366-h274-no/IMG_20140924_133521_015.jpg)

Station/Terminal on front siding

(https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-0n2r8wHuBmU/VCMBNIcj2dI/AAAAAAAAAVc/T8fQU4uq8YM/w366-h274-no/IMG_20140924_133535_583.jpg)

Section House or Woodland Industry

Gutter Company just left after hanging gutters on carport. Now I can take up the Hay and put down some track

It’s coming together, Cale. What State are you in? Curious for the seasons and any plants you might use.

I’m in Upstate SC.

Cale?? That second picture in your last pic thread, what are you trying to do with the track there???

Looks like a T off the curve in the picture… If it’s a siding, make the siding off the straight track of the switch in the curve…

It would be a better flow, and allow you to make the curve as big as you can…