Large Scale Central

N.B.R.R. Construction Begins!

Happy New Year Y’all, We got finally got started! This weekend marks the 2 year Anniversary of my first LS Train encounter in Gatlinburg TN. I guess it is pretty fitting that we start digging today 1-1-07. I have a daughter due the first week of February, so I’m gonna try to get a lot done in 5 weeks! I have decided to lay track following the method described by Kevin Strong in his expose written for GR Mag. The area used is a mature raised bed that has been around since our home was built in 1992. It is adjacent to the play area for the kids and parts can be viewed from our deck. I wanted to be close to the kids area, so we could play together! The area used is on a 5% grade as calculated with an tripod instrument. Some fill was move around to compensate, but we didn’t want it to be flat! We have a few hundred feet of track-not sure how much, and it was all purchased over the last 18 months from MLS and LSC members Thanks Guys! It is used and as dirty as I could find. There is quite a mix of LGB and Aristo. We will be running battery powered locos and controlling with RCS equipment. Since I bought used track and didn’t really know what I had, and I found it hard to develop a track plan with the PC using the planning software. I laid it all out a few (hundred) times and finally came up with what I liked. Our line is a “what if” Narrow Gauge Smokey Mountain/Foothills logging/mining line that host a small amount of passenger service-consisting mainly of short freight trains-6 or seven cars max. There will be 3 independent loops. One a folded dogbone, another a simple oval loop, and lastly a small figure 8 “over and under” mountain top line. The Dogbone is the longest loop featuring two tunnels. It is laid out to look like 2 main lines running side by side that swing out in big loops at each end (10’ or 11’ curves). One tunnel will be just shy of 10’ long and will have an access port in the center, the other less than 3’. There is one passing siding on the “main” for a small station. There will be a couple of sidings on this loop for industry. The Oval will feature a curved tunnel and a short 10’+/- curved trestle over a dry wash. There will be a few spurs/sidings on this loop that may lead to short branch lines or stay as sidings. There will also be a pretty nice “cut” on the upper end exiting the curved tunnel just before the trestle. I really wanted to build a Big Tall Impressive Trestle, but right now they grade is too low, and I’ll shoot for what works. The Over and Under Loop will be located atop the Mountain that houses all the above listed tunnels. This line will be run by “Bill” my Saddletank-pushing Bachmann and HLW Ore Cars from a “what if” mine…I may be able to insert a trestle in this loop too (5" curves here-link and pin couplers). I was inspired to add this loop while watching the far-fetched (it’s soo easy!) DIY show “Working on the Railroad”. I then decided to try an over under after reading Jack V.'s new book-we shall see! We decided, due to funding constraints that a water feature was out of reach. Therefore the mountain got bigger to house all the tunnels-(good topsoil) dirt is free (father in law has a Bobcat), and it allows a scenery break. Rocks and such will follow… Here are a few shots of how we got started… Overview of area in question

Shot down the Hill

Placed flags in track-didn’t want to paint the ties. Pulled up track, then painted with inverted paint.

Eli helped remove flags in prep for trenching!

Speaking of trenching…this little 2-stroke genius was a great asset!

A shot of the trench-easy(almost)work…still had to clean out with shovel. The trench is about 6/7" wide…

Here are the rebar inserted in trench on grade-pvc will attach here-painted yellow so I could find!

well, that ain’t too bad for the first day. The upper end hasn’t been trenched yet-gotta move the Bobcat in one more time for the mountains, once the tunnels are set on grade. We are using 12" corrugated drain pipe for the tunnels-it don’t bend, so I may have to make some changes on the curved one. I’ll be back with some more when something happens! Cale, Eli and Luke Nelson Brothers R/R

Great start Cale -

Take advantage of the child labor while you can :slight_smile: Mines a teenager now and would rather be elsewhere than helping Dad in the yard.

JR

Great start. Keep us posted on it’s progress. Looks like you will have a fun layout to run on.

That certainly looks ambitious! Great start!.

I like the idea of using the culvert for a tunnel. I had a 10 inch ID solid pipe that I tried to use as a tunnel on the first iteration of the CR&TN, but it was too narrow. Yours looks like it will do the job. Mine was salvage from a long ago drainage project.

You have a lot of deciduous trees that will give you a lot of bio-waste each fall. How do you propose to protect the layout from the “fallout?” Just something to think about from someone who has been there, done that, got the T-Shirt and done wore it out raking the leaves.

You should be able to get around the child labor laws by not paying him. That is what my father did and it worked. I used the idea and got away with it, too. :smiley: It is nice to have those memories. Your son will always be able to say, “I helped my Dad build the railroad, and this is what I did.” Make sure that he has a project that is his, alone, and then keep it, no matter how “interesting” it is.

Keep the pictures coming!

Edited to correct my creative spelling :smiley:

Culvert is great on a straight tunnel…as to curves…still thinking on that one… Leaves! yeah I got 'em…tons and tons…everywhere, nowhere in the yard was safe, so I put it here…I have 3 blowers…hopefully that will be enough… Thanks for the interest and encouragement Day #2: Didn’t get as much done today as I had hoped, will go back out after posting…Eli fell on drive way-Ultra Superficial wound…he thought he had lost his hand…[B)] went back into some of the first trenches and dug deeper for better underlay of ballast…added more rebar spikes and began attaching conduit to rebar…

Area to right where flags are–trestle area to come!

Bottom end of Big Loop

Detail of attachment to rebar with wire ties… Hope for more tomorrow…need to hunt up some ballast! cale

Cale, could that culvert be curved if you staked it on both side and use aluminum wire to bind it across ? I wish I had room for your big curves.

Looking good, Cale! Should be an interesting mix of track as well. How much did you actually end up with?

Congrats on your ground-breaking, and good luck! Looks like you’re off to a good start.

Marc Bergmueller said:
Cale, could that culvert be curved if you staked it on both side and use aluminum wire to bind it across ? I wish I had room for your big curves.
That's what I was going to say, except I would have said to use rope. Just put the rope through the pipe and pull both ends until you get the desired curve, then tie. Once the tunnel is buried, the dirt will hold it in place even if the rope rots away. Don't even need the stakes except to hold it in place while you back fill.

JR

interesting concept guys…will try tomorrow!

Bruce, I really have no idea!

Big curves…yep, maybe one day I’ll be able to afford the Live Steam GS-4 Daylight my Eli loves sooooo much! even if it is Stg Gauge…

update tomorrow!

Cale

didn’t get to the curve tunnel today…but had a fun day with the boys…ain’t that why we do this? --------------------------------------- Day Tres: Well today turned out to be more a “Field Trip” day than anything…went huntin’ for Ballast…whew… all over the country we went…we visited a few nurseries, Lowes, a concrete recycling plant, and finally wound up at the Vulcan Quarry just a few miles south of our home… The boys were great in the truck and liked visiting all the places, especially the Quarry. While there we saw a few Quad-Axle trucks take on loads and the Rubber-Tire Loader getting a shower! Wish I had the camera with me…it’d be cool to have those shots too… I am a stay at home dad, who plans to school at home and the guys at the quarry informed me that they allow tours for kids (not toddlers of course) that would educate in Geology and other things rock orientated…files that in back of mind Ok, so a little work did happen early this am while the frost was still on the ground and PVC and a little more this afternoon when we returned home… and of course a few pictures of progress-no matter how small!

Looking Down grade, reminds me I need to pick up my tools before it rains tomorrow! Set the long and short tunnel on grade today! Curve will have to wait till I have a little more time avai-maybe tomorrow?

Looking up grade…set the switches on pipe, to layout for passing siding…ran out of daylight-sorry for the poor photos! OK, so what did I find to ballast with? At the concrete recycling plant…recycled concrete sand…almost a sandy texture, but it seemed to be a little "sticky’ for lack of a better term—kinda scared me-not looking for concrete roadbed! this is my 2nd choice of material that I found. $7/ton. At Lowes…Paver Underlay…quarry dust-at least that is what I was reminded of…and X-pen-sive…almost $4 a bag. least fav. At Vulcan Materials…last stop…Asphalt Gravel…bigger than quarry dust, had small (tiny, but not too small) stones in mix…it is used…us guessed it, to make Asphalt. $12/ton Long story short…found a new neighbor—guy building house you may have seen in some of the photos behind our RR project, he owns a landscaping Co. and a single axle F450 Dump, he is going tomorrow to pick up 2 tons for me-early! Wow, what a find…and he seems to be a really “Good Dude”! cya tomorrow cale

The small stuff around here we call screenings. Goes for about $2.50 for an 80lb. bag. We can also get it in bulk for about $12 a ton. I buy the bags because it’s a darker greyish Blue color than the screenings… The bigger stuff is called 2A Modified. It has 1/4 to 1/2" stone and dust in it. goes for about $14 a ton. Usually about a pick-up truck load (1/2 ton) is all I can handle a one time. We have a few retail places around here that carry it. One is called “Mr. Mulch”. They carry sand, gravel, paving blocks , slate, fencing, and of course mulch.

Here’s a shot from last spring showing the differance in color.

And the finished project…

Cale, I too am a stay at home dad of a 1yr. Keep up the great work, It’s looking better and better.

Marc Bergmueller said:
Cale, I too am a stay at home dad of a 1yr. Keep up the great work, It's looking better and better.
and retired rock star??!! you need to check out my radio show!

www.zrevolution.net

hey Ken,

Love the walkway and the way you incorporated the steps into the walk…

cale nelson said:
hey Ken,

Love the walkway and the way you incorporated the steps into the walk…

Thanx That area was always a bit of an eyesore and I had to do somthin…
Checked out your website…great pix from the hurricane!

Thanks for checking in on my other Hobby! Radio! The hurricane deal was a big God thing, and I’m glad He allowed us to do “something” to help…never seen anything like it before!!! Hugo was a breeze compared to her! here is todays update! Well…my back hurts… Early this morning my stone was delivered…got to work around 11…laid in low-volt wire in trench (pulling out loops where I thought I might need them), then began moving stone. 2.3 tons was the amount delivered, and prob moved at least 1.5 tons…I grossly underestimated here, prob need at least 2 more tons. below are a few up close shots…rain began, and I had to get the boys inside…maybe tomorrow…and on Sat, I hope to work all day!

Wire in trench…after photo I placed a screw here at joint with the 2 pipes.

Lower big curve ballasted, well almost…enough for today! later c’

cale nelson said:
... then began moving stone. 2.3 tons was the amount delivered, and prob moved at least 1.5 tons....I grossly underestimated here, prob need at least 2 more tons.
Be grateful you underestimated. I overestimated the amount I'd need for a project this summer (not trains) and had a large hill of gravel blocking the driveway until a kind friend came and removed it to refurbish his own gravel driveway late in fall. Next time, I go under ... easier to order extra than get rid of too much.

When I built my layout I used a larger pea gravel and laid an inch or so of #5 gravel for ballast. It worked well.
If you are going to be home teaching think of various ways to include the layout. It can be included in English, history, math, etc.

now looking back…some of my trenches were deeper than expected-for grade purposes…wish I had foresight to use a larger stone in bottom of those and then topped it off with the smaller stuff!

Home Schooling seems to be a saving grace with the RR…My wife, who was schooled at home, sees the benefits of having something like this close to home…a field trip in the back yard…the possibilities are endless…we can have Shop class, learn about Hydraulics while building water feature, Electrical skills and understanding, Gardening, General Responsibilities, Gradient mathematics, History, Propulsion, and the list goes on…yep, I think this will be a good thing.

Dreary today, may not get anything done…slept like a boulder last night, and thankfully my boys did too!

cale

Not much happened on Friday…actually nothing happened on Friday except rain and a slight Tornado Warning…here’s the puddles

Looks like today will be nice…I’m off to “work” cale