Large Scale Central

My "Visiting" Locomotive

My locomotives and rolling stock are 1:20. This can cause a problem when I visit a layout that has a different scale. Plus, I use the AMS couplers. These couple OK with the large Kadee, but not the smaller ones. But, the real problem is coupler height. My couplers are a scale 26" to the center-line, as many NG railroads were. Compare the Kadee standard height on the left, to my modified one with AMS on the right.

While I could have created a transition car, I decided to go ahead and try for a 1:29 diesel. I picked up an RS-3 from Aristocraft during their leap year sale and installed Kadee couplers on it at the standard Kadee height. I also did some light weathering. This should work well on Andy’s layout, as well as on Fred’s when he runs SG operations. I had planned to put in the new Revolution sound card/receiver as it was due to be released May 1. Now it’s sometime in July. With the Invasion scheduled for the middle of July, I decided that I couldn’t wait for them to be available, and so I installed the Revolution RX with Phoenix sound. It’s not lettered for the J&B, as I don’t have any 1:29 rolling stock to run with it. I’ll seldom run it here, but will use it to “visit” with. :wink:

Nice, Bruce. Lookin good. I need to build a visiting loco of my own.

:cool:
I’m very partial to Southern :smiley:
If you had to go diesel…at least you went “vintage” :wink:
Ralph

Good idea Bruce. When I first started going up to Fred’s I brought along a “transition” car.
And just recently I swapped the smaller KD’s for the bigger ones on my engines. No more paper clips up at Bob’s…:wink: