Large Scale Central

My indoor layout

Great benchwork ! :slight_smile:

Gorgeous!

I believe I recognize your enginehouse and smokejacks from tysplanes.com, your kits look really well designed.

Thanks guys,

Cliff , Yep Tysplanes.com is my website. That helps me support my hobby in a small way. I do a lot of Vacuum forming and resin casting and anything I make for myself I put on there also ā€¦

Well the next thing was to draw out the radius on the layout so I could cut the temporary pieces for trestle area.So I took my string and a pencil and started drawing out the curves. One problem I had was I am gong from a 9ā€™ diameter to a 8ā€™ diameter. The problem is making that curve transition. So here is how I did it.

Where the curve was to start the transition I cam out from the pivot point and add a nail that the string would hit . I moved the nail until it reduced the curve to fit the area. Then I added another nail further out to make the curve even tighter. by doing this I had a nice even line all the way around the curve.

Once I got all the radi figured out I put the track together and made sure everything worked well. Once That was done I wen ahead and put down a base of 1/2" foam. I then wired it all and it worked great.

Pretty cool. Am liking the backdrop painting. And, man, someone is serious about keeping the hobos off the water tank and out of the coal.

Thanks Forrest,

Yeah that tank has been around for a while and had a piece that needed repair. It was a cheap $25 tank and i was gluing a part back onā€¦ close to the right scale thoughā€¦

Ok guys,
I was so excited to have it all togther and ready for a complete test run. That I took my Bachmann rail truck and figured if that made it around I would have no electrical problemsā€¦

This shows you how the first run around the layout turned outā€¦

Hope that one picture doesnā€™t mean the rail truck took a dive since you forgot to put the bridge up. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

YEP all I heard was a crash. I knew exactly what had happened . Well the truck had several broken pieces and I was able to put it back together and it still runs fineā€¦

I have done that with the door on my tunnel I forgot to open a few times. Are you planning to add a safety feature when the (bridge) is down. Glad the railtruck isnā€™t DOA and still running.

Yes from the start i knew I should put something there. I have one primary direction I run so I will put some kind of stop there for when the drop out is not in placeā€¦

Ty

Next I figured I should camouflage the 2 poles in the middle of the room. I first moved the electrical outlet to the top of the poles. I then primed both polls and painted them the 3 sky colors I use. From dark to light. I then went back and painted them the foliage colors. I use a Medium yellow and a paynes grey. I may have to paint higher on the poles but we will see when we get thereā€¦

Hey, alright, the poles had more initial success than the truck diving, uh, I mean driving.
Aw man, heart just sinks when you do that kind of thing.
Mendable is good.
Hey, wait a minute, now there is a need for some railroad lore about the great derailment of 54, when the ā€¦

You could partly disguise the pols by building a building around them. Something like a grain elevator or some other tall building.

Nice looking indoor layout Ty. What track are you using? The switch in your last set of pictureā€™s looks like a SwitchCrafterā€™s switch. Iā€™ve sold a lot of Bruceā€™s product over the years. Are you using code 250 or 332 on your layout?

John Allen had a pole in his basement that was essential to support the living room floor. He made it a mountain.

Landrel Brown said:

Ok guys,
I was so excited to have it all togther and ready for a complete test run. That I took my Bachmann rail truck and figured if that made it around I would have no electrical problemsā€¦

This shows you how the first run around the layout turned outā€¦

Been there, done that with a Bachmann 45 Ton diesel. Not pretty, but with a new frame she lived to run another day. Afterwards I had many suggestions on how to avoid a re-occurrence. Many were quite complicated and some involved a power interlock that would shut off the track near the bridge when it was open. I settled on drilling a small hole through a tie and into the bench. When the bridge is up a small Aristo track screwdriver is inserted. It has been put to the test more than once and always works.

Glad your rail truck was repairable. The layout looks great.

I attended a show in Seattle, where the local large scale club was demonstrating their latest addition to their module, an interlock that made the rails dead for a few feet either side of the bridge whenever the bridge was up. It worked great, until someone put a battery powered locomotive on the track.(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

Thanks Guys,

The funny thing is I use to be big into Model airplanes and have teased some old friends about not having crashed anything since I changed to trainsā€¦ I canā€™t do that any longerā€¦

I am making a hard stop That I will put in place anytime the drop down not in place.

I have been trying to decide how to hide the poles betterā€¦ maybe a mountain on one sideā€¦

Chuck I am running all Micro Engineering Track code 250. I am using switches from Switch crafters. I wish he was still making them ā€¦

Steve no matter what safety features we put in place we will always find a way around them.

Ty

Well while just thinking about thus addition. The local Middle school was having a new roof put on. They are installing a metal roof over the old shingles. Part of putting the new roof on was putting down a layer of 1"of foam boardā€¦ Well I went by the site and talked to the foreman and asked him if I could have all of the the scrap foam board. They were cutting off large corners and sometime throwing away 1/2 sheets. so I have collected about $400 worth of foam over the past monthā€¦Well if I had to buy it that about what it would have cost meā€¦

So I have been putting down a full covering of foam Board.