Large Scale Central

My house in approx. 1/24 or so? Photo dump!

David Russell said:
Andy Clarke said:
David, great work.... looks wonderful.... However, I think that spot you picked for it to set on is a bad spot, I do believe I have just the spot for the house.... :) Of course, I'd have to see the finished house, to be sure.......... :)
OK I'll bite :lol:
psssssssst, David, I mean on my railroad...... :)

Andy,

David either didn’t get the joke or he is ignoring you.

Very nice. Both the model and the actual house.

Ric Golding said:
Andy,

Ric, I think it’s the beverage… :slight_smile:

mike omalley said:
David Russell said:
Have researched all the history and find it pretty neat knowing that this joint stood as Confederate cannon balls flew by shelling the square at one point,,,,circa 1852.
Had to be 1862?
No I meant the home was built in 52. Not sure of the date the reb's captured the town as I cannot involve myself in Civil War history as it's too heavy and confusing/conflicting knowledge for me. According to what I have learned Mechanicsburg was the furthest town north captured by the confederates. I do know that the real CVRR played a heavy role in the war. Very interesting stuff but more than my brain can handle.
Ric Golding said:
Andy,

Oh I got it Ric!
:slight_smile:
I figured that’s what he meant however I wanted to give him a chance! I thought perhaps he was being sincere and had a good idea at hand. I’m not sure it’s gonna sit in my industrial section yet as I have one or two more structures to make yet.
Andy,
If I’m building you anything its a freakin bridge! You have no excuse’s as your retired??
:wink:

Great work David! I love the Victorian architecture. I often thought about doing my house.
So,what made you think you couldn’t do the models the rest of us are doing?
All you need is the creativity, drive and a few missing brain cells to git 'er done.

-Brian

DavidR,

I haven’t seen your entire layout, so I have no idea where it would look good on your layout… The ““Industrial”” area is coming along great… The way the house is shaping up, it would a wonderful stand alone model… Maybe a little of of town, with a barn in the back, and some farm machinery set around the yard…

:slight_smile:

Brian,
I also love the victorian era architecture. It’s a huge passion for me. What craftsmanship considering the tools they worked with…just amazing if you think about it!

Andy,
Thanks for being my adopted modern mainline RR pop!
A barn??? in town?? actually from old drawn maps there used to be a barn out back. I have 4 giant chunks of limestone(now part of a walkway) that were the corner stones of that structure.
Your RR looks amazing but I would still solder that track in approx 15 to 20’ straight sections battery or not. I have learned a lot over the past few years and seen some amazing un-expected results of mother nature.
:wink:

mike omalley said:
Wow, that looks great--great prototype, great model. Reminds me of PA, the kind of architecture I grew up with.

You are building one fantastic garden railway

You grew up in PA??

Born in Philly, raised mostly in Lansdale, about 40 minutes from Philly. When I was a kid it was a mill town with farms around it. The Reading RR passed through–they had a small yard and a wye.

I love that look–great job

Making some progress and steadily working towards the roof lines with the turret which is gonna be a challenge but I think I have a plan! So here is another photo dump…

I traced the outer line of the house on a sheet of 1/4 in PVC board then measured it out 1/2" for the scale 1’ over hang.

With the attic floor in place I can now make the roof or attempt to make the roof! The mock up turret or “witches cap” is too short/stubby and will need to be re-made but it allowed me to cut into it and determine how I wanted to attempt building it.

Now, that is impressive!

1 Like

DavidR, that’s some nice work… :slight_smile:

Neat.

What’s the plan for building that roof?

Ken,
Impressive is the 30th st station picture you posted in another thread. I found it so impressive I’m checking out Amtrak schedules and gonna have to jump a train in Harrisburg and go down with the family for a look myself!

Bruce Chandler said:
Neat. What's the plan for building that roof?
I lied, I don't have a plan but it sounded good! I destroyed two witches cap mock ups already and on the 3rd but I think I got it right this time? :)

Is should be just a simple mathematical formula :wink:

David Russell said:
Ken, Impressive is the 30th st station picture you posted in another thread. I found it so impressive I'm checking out Amtrak schedules and gonna have to jump a train in Harrisburg and go down with the family for a look myself!
Bruce Chandler said:
Neat. What's the plan for building that roof?
While your there, jump on the subway to 6th St and tour the Historical District. Independence Hall, The old Friends Meeting House where Ben Franklin is buried, the Constitution Center with the Liberty Bell, and Franklin Court, where Franklin lived and worked. Betsy Ross House, Elfreth's Alley, Christ Church, plus plenty of other places to see. I used to work about 3 blocks from there and spent a lot of lunch hours wandering around that area. When we were kids my parents used to take us in there during Christmas and we'd wander through all the old department stores, Gimbals, Lit Brothers, Strawbridges, Wanamaker's................topped it off with dinner at the Horn and Hardart Automat.

The sides of your cap are just triangles. The base of the triangle should be the width of the triangle (does that make sense?) You can figure the height of the triangle easily knowing how high you want the peak to be using Pythagoras.

(http://www.outsidetrains.com/mls/davesroof.gif)

The height of the triangle is Square Root of H squared + W squared. Grab a calculator.

Ken,
Thank you as I was wondering about the location of some of those places you mentioned and transportation from the station to them.

Tom,
Yes I’m aware of that and you also have to bevel the edges of those triangles in order to form the cone. My issue is where the 8/12 peaked roof intersects with the witches cap itself. I’ll get it eventually.:wink: