Large Scale Central

My cut

This is the area I’ve been working on this past week.My first attempt at ‘Garden’ railroading and I could use some input. I’m looking for a low growing ground cover for the majority of the dirt area. I would also like something to work in with the rock outcroppings maybe viny.

This area is total shade, right next to screen room and surrounded by trees. have seen a low growing ‘Spanish Moss’ but don’t know how it would fair. It only grows to 1" in height Want low maintainance not invasive can be vine if not too agressive for over rocks shade grower Any help?? Thanks

Total shade and ground cover is a tough combination. I haven’t found anything that grows quickly.

I have one that has lasted a few years, but hasn’t spread much. I’ll grab the name from the tag tomorrow.

Hollywoooooooooddddddddddddd!!! We use a variety of Thyme for ground covers, and some new stuff, the call ““Stepables””… The Thyme comes in a variety of species… Wooley, mini, creeping, are all good and low… Lemon Thyme is about 4-6 inches tall, and will overrun… Of course, all our thyme is in full sun… The thing we like about the thyme, is the wooley is more grayish colored and the others are a darker green…

Jane’s gonna do some reseach on the thyme…

The cut looks good, I like it…

I like maizus…but I do have some sun…

Sedum. Check my spelling. Should work well for you and there are tons of types to pick from. also chicks n hens might work well also, butI would try the sedum first.

Ice plant spread pretty well for me. A bunch the size of a fist spread several feet in one year.
Ralph

Plant thyme fairly thick, although it does like more sun if you put it in a little tightly spaced than recommended and a little TLC it might work

I would go with sedums. There are sooo many types out their. One that I like and grows in both shade and sun is this below. Its sedum but I forget the name. The left is what it looks llike without flowers and to the right is the yellow flowers. Jerry Barnes knows what it is. He was not a fan of it because it does spread fast. In my area it grows very well and spreads good especially large areas. It is hard to kill but very easy to pull up. I think it looks great and stays through the winter. The thymes are great especially creeping tyme. It spreads fast but my only complaint is it tends to get dead spots and my creeping thym did not do so well this winter. A lot of it died. Wooly thyms is nice but I did not have very good luck with it. My all time faverite is elfin thym. Only complaint is it spreads slow but if you can get a lot of it so you dont have to wait to fill spots. It is one of the lowest ground covers but looks great on a layout. Another great one is vinca vine and creeping Jenny. Vinca is green leaves and gets purple flowers. The Creeping jenny has golden leaves and brightens up shady aeas. Both do well in shaded areas.

(http://i39.tinypic.com/210i049.jpg)

Jon…I’ve got time
Andy…Rooster said you like the Thyme I’ll look into that
Randy… Thyme may be good
Bruce…Maisus I’ll have to look at that I can’t find it in search
Geoff…No on the hens and chicks
Shawn and Geoff…Sedum is in the pic wife had some I took, think she said ‘blood something’
Ralph… Ice plant doesn’t do shade well but I like the look

Guys I appreciate the quick help I’ll check out what you all have mentioned as I await more input.
Dave

edited for search on maizus

Any drainage in the cut?
If water will run through the cut, I’d raise the track a little higher.
Ralph

Is that Roosters purple bike he has been looking for in the second picture?

Here’s a look at thyme from 2009

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/andyc/Outside%20Layout%20Pictures/Outside%20Pictures%206-7%20June%202009/Looking%20towards%20Bluefield%20Pic%201%20-%206%20Jun%2009.jpg)

There’s about 3 different varieties there… Red thyme, Wooley Thyme, and some minus thyme… The Red thyme and some other species sport tiny flowers at different times of the year…

Did I mention that I really like the rock out-cropping? I also think the curving cut is nice too. Depending on how elevations work out, I might be able to utilize a shallow cut on my outdoor loop - when it ever gets done.

Ralph… If you look at the 2nd and 3rd pics you’ll hopefully note a ridge line just above the 2nd sedum plant on the right side of the pics. There are 2 separate mounds on that side with a valley between them, placed that way for drainage.
Shawn… Rooster hadn’t said anything to me about it, I’ve been wondering who’s it was.
Andy… I like that look, really nice beautiful landscape you’ve got. The thymes all seem to need 6+ hrs. of sun though. I’m still going to try one Wolley thyme for now. WHAT are the rounder bushes in the red thyme??
Jon… Thank you. I’ve been building that area up to get the cut because of a future scenic feature I want to use.

I would try a mix of sedums. Some do okay in minimal light. There are also some miniature hosta. Creeping jenny (Lysmachia) in gold and green will do fine too. Look into smaller ferns too.

Dave,
Aren’t you near the Appalachian Garden folks (Tom and Fern McCloud) - http://www.smallplants4bigtrains.com/ ?

-Brian

Will the snow plow fit in that tight area?
Looks great.
If you have to use the big plow ( shovel ) is there room?
Sean

Already answered via land line and I thought thymne and sedums may be of choice if you asked here. As for the sedum your wife planted it was probably dragons blood. Still think you might want to grab some local ferns out of the woods. In fact I swear I saw some up the road last year close to that bridge with what looked like marshy wetlands.
Wondered what happened to my bike…that was one hell of a ride from here to there on that! Especially on RT 74!

Brian, Thanks for the heads up on Appalachia. They’re about 50 to 60 miles west but it should be worth the trip.

Sean, I’ll have to custom cut a plow to fit as it’s not much wider than a kids large play shovel.

Rooster, I’ll keep an eye out for that fern.

Right now I’m hoping to get a couple truck loads of dirt so I can finish the cut area build up.

Are you in a climate zone where moss might be a reasonable choice?

Thew one I have that I mentioned early on is Illumination Periwinkle (Vinca Minor)…

some websites said:
Vinca minor ‘Illumination’ Yellow-Variegated Periwinkle Evergreen perennial groundcover. Shade/part shade. Blue blossoms in summer.

(http://www.hmaplants.com/images/prod/1244791993Vinca%20Illumination%204.jpg)

I have it near my cut under the pines. It has survived two winters but has not spread much. Probably due to teh highly acidic soil from the pine droppings. I may try a little pelletized lime this year.