Large Scale Central

My 7/8's layout

This is a little layout mostly for my 7/8’s scale trains. It will be mostly plants with maybe 1 or 2 structures. Its in a sunnier, more open part of the yard so I can use a wider variety of plants I can’t use on my main layout. The layout itself is a simple loop to loop folded in on itself with just two sidings. The main grade is a bit steep at 3-4% but the trains will be short, industrial types. The smaller inner loop is 8 foot diameter. All will be battery powered. The layout is mostly raised using Tufboard ladder. Pics of the progress - Planning -

Turf removed with tractor and I invited the boys of the train club over to learn about ladder support -

Ladder is in -

and back filled with gravel -

Rocks and topsoil/compost added. Now, its ready for planting and track laying!

more to come soon! -Brian

neat… can’t wait for the ““finished”” pictures…

7/8" scale has a lot going for it.
No mass produced "stuff"so kitbashing and scratch building are the norm.
Best of all. Dinky critters will look just fine on the tight curves.

I know this sounds dumb but I like your rock placement…Those darn rocks are tricky to place right. (for me anyway). Can’t tell you how many times I have moved rocks around

David Russell said:
I know this sounds dumb but I like your rock placement....Those darn rocks are tricky to place right. (for me anyway). Can't tell you how many times I have moved rocks around
Thanks David. I'll take a "dumb" compliment any day! I learned the most about rock placement reading up on Japanese garden design and how they balance stones in a garden. Most of those were salvaged from a client's garden where they were very badly placed. So, even the quote "professionals" can get it wrong.

-Brian

Cool.

Brian Donovan said:
David Russell said:
I know this sounds dumb but I like your rock placement....Those darn rocks are tricky to place right. (for me anyway). Can't tell you how many times I have moved rocks around
Thanks David. I'll take a "dumb" compliment any day! I learned the most about rock placement reading up on Japanese garden design and how they balance stones in a garden. Most of those were salvaged from a client's garden where they were very badly placed. So, even the quote "professionals" can get it wrong.

-Brian

My neighbor 2 doors down put an addition on his turn of the century home and pulled up a lot of his old porch foundation which is nice limestone. I cannot refuse it and keep carting it up to my yard. However placement has been tedious and difficult at times. I’m convinced that I just have the wrong rock for what I’m after. But then I manage to get a cluster placed correctly and think the reverse. I have learned a LOT of respect for landscapers. Can you tell me what to do with a 30’ deep old limestone craphole that was never filled and has a concrete cap on it? I refuse to fill the hole, have to incorporate it into the RR and possibly raise trout in it!
Thanks
David

If you are serious about being 30 feet deep, I think you seriously need to consider the liability before you open that hole to any size. I believe you could screw up a whole day or two if somebody fell in.

Liablity means nothing to me as it’s my private residence, This joint stood as the rebels were firing cannonballs west headed towards Carlisle(circa 1852). It’s screaming for a steam operated RR however I want modern. “Smoke Trout not crack” is my new motto . I will raise them in my already historically constructed hole if I can figure out how to do such and i will travel state to state when I retire, crossing borders with no papers!!
Not being sarcastic just being myself addicted to this hobby in a town/area with rich RR history . I need to take up yoga or something.

David,

Large, scale, model railroading, outside may have more contorted moves than Yoga. Just learn to meditate while being stuck in those postions. :wink:

30 foot deep hole? Sounds like a mine shaft to me. Stick a headframe on top.

-Brian

Update - Initial planting is in and mulched and track is laid out ready to install (if I ever get done cleaning up all these leaves! ) A few pics -

(http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n214/altterrain/7-8n2%20projects/7-8s%20layout/7-8s-layout13.jpg)

(http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n214/altterrain/7-8n2%20projects/7-8s%20layout/7-8s-layout14.jpg)

(http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n214/altterrain/7-8n2%20projects/7-8s%20layout/7-8s-layout15.jpg)

-Brian

Nice railroad there, Brian…

Getting their and looking good. I hear you about the leaves. My layout is covered. My next day off I will be cleaning the leaves out. All the trees have finally dropped all their leaves. Wont have to worry about it until next fall. Looks like you still have a bit more leaves to deal with down your way.

Brian said:
Update - Initial planting is in and mulched and track is laid out ready to install (if I ever get done cleaning up all these leaves! )
Suggestion for next year. Cut down those darn deciduous trees!
Steve Featherkile said:
Brian said:
Update - Initial planting is in and mulched and track is laid out ready to install (if I ever get done cleaning up all these leaves! )
Brian, Don't listen to him GO GREEN, play like you are saving the Earth. Don't cut a tree, don't eat a cow, never fart - you don't want to be blamed for not being green enough.
Ric Golding said:
Brian, Don't listen to him GO GREEN, play like you are saving the Earth. Don't cut a tree, don't eat a cow, never fart
Maybe we can recycle those farts to run live steamers :D Ralph

Well Brian good to know your not leaving g gauge.
Toad

Ric Golding said:
Steve Featherkile said:
Brian said:
Brian, Don't listen to him GO GREEN, play like you are saving the Earth. Don't cut a tree, don't eat a cow, never fart - you don't want to be blamed for not being green enough.
Well, I was going to suggest moving the layout to someplace where the leaves don't fall, but thought that might be too much work. :lol:
Steve Featherkile said:
Ric Golding said:
Steve Featherkile said:
Well, I was going to suggest moving the layout to someplace where the leaves don't fall, but thought that might be too much work. :lol:
That still wont help. There is also that thing called wind. You can have a tree 200 yards away and those dam leaves will still come. I just un burried my layout from leaves. I couldnt even tell there was a layout. I raked it all out and put a fence around half of the layout that way the leaves wont blow onto the layout it will stop the leaves. I ment to do that before the trees let their leaves drop but got involved with other train things. Lesson learned.

If you get rid of the trees then he wont have any shade