Large Scale Central

MTH Water Column mod

During the Invasion, Fred showed me the MTH Water Columns. I know, they’ve been out for some time, but I had never seen one in person. For under $20, you could just use it to get a nice metal water spout for a water tank, but I decided I’d get some to use in a small space where I didn’t have room for a tank. They seem a bit oversize for O scale, but look pretty good for my 1:20 stuff. The only problem is that it’s a bit short, to say the least.[:p] So, when they arrived, I immediately took one completely apart to see what I could do to make it taller. I found that the column was a 5/16 OD copper tube. I saw that Hobbylinc had 5/16" aluminum rod and decided that would be good enough. Painted black, it fits right in. I may still shorten it a bit, but it was sure an easy bash.

In the picture, the original MTH Water Column is shown on the left. The modified one is shown next to a Connie tender.

Spiffy!

That looks nice Bruce. They could also make for a cheap spout and hardware for a water tank. I recently picked up a pair of MTH street lamps as part of an eBay grab bag and they seem oversized for O also at nearly 8 inches tall.

-Brian

Bruce, you have way too much free time on your hands…:wink: