Large Scale Central

More windows

First prototype of some windows for the Harlem Station warehouse. Getting there.

3 Likes

It’s a lot easier to print your own isn’t it !

Doors and windows are the main reason I wanted to get a 3D printer in the first place. That window has about 8 cents of material in it, and is exactly the right size for the building. I dont have to make any compromises on window size or style.

1 Like

Exactly…and they are easy enough to design IF you want to match a particular prototype. Plus they do VERY well outside.

(Just be glad you didn’t buy Grandt line! :anguished: )

Test print of the smaller warehouse windows. Now to fix the frame thickness and print eight sets of each.

3 Likes

Looking good Bob. I like those a lot. What program are you doing your design work in. Thanks to Dan H., I use Fusion 360.

I have a set of windows that I need to get test printed for a big mine building that I want to get started on before my June club meeting.

Sean said it was a lot easier printing and installing your own. that is probably single handedly the very best part about 3D printing, parts on demand. I loved casting in resin. There was a certain satisfaction in the process. But you ended up with a bunch of seldom used molds that you then had to store. I love sitting down and designing the EXACT part I want and then printing only what I need when I need it. And then the file is tucked nicely away on my computer not taking up space for the next time when I need it. For a guy who used to call 3D printing “cheating” it sure is handy.

2 Likes

For simple things like windows and doors, I just use Tinkercad. For more complex stuff I use Fusion360.

1 Like

Seven smaller windows done, now printing the large ones.

3 Likes

Nice. What does this warehouse look like?

These are for the freight terminal at Williamsport, instead of the hacky acrylic + paint pen that it’s had for 10 years.

Ahh…I remember THAT building!

That will look way mo’ betta

1 Like

Printing done. Ready for prime and paint.

2 Likes

Too cool. Windows and doors are probably not only about the easiest things to do with a 3D printer, but also one of the best uses for that printer. Sure beats building them from scratch.

1 Like

Three coasts of Army Painter off-white and we’re ready to install.

1 Like

Did you sand them down at all of just paint them. Because they look good.

1 Like

Does it matter?

I’m still thinking the “horror” of points and glazing if a hobo breaks a panel on those 4 over 6 split sash windows. However I’m a huge fan of 3 over 9 myself .

Assembled, washed then painted them. No sanding.

2 Likes