Large Scale Central

More track work

Once again I managed to get a few hours today to do some more hand laying. I’ve almost completed the north end of my main loop. I wish I could spend every Saturday working on it but I am definitely getting more efficient.

I also decided to make something of a shortcut in order to be a bit more expedient. I bought a bag of tie plates from Ozark Miniatures to see if I liked them and I must say, they are just perfect.

My apologies to the other makers out there (sorry Bryan), but not only do the plates look great, they are also 10 bucks cheaper per bag. At that price I can get nearly two for the price of one from elsewhere. As a matter of fact, I will be buying 3 more bags because I used all 100 in the first bag today!

Here are the new tie plates and a new section of track.

And another with ballast. Yes, some of the stones are a bit large, but the price is right.

And this is the same section from a distance. As you can see, I opted out of the tie plates here.

WOW, impressive.

I’m always in awe of folks who hand lay an entire layout. It is, without a doubt, the best look you can get. I’ve done a bridge and a short section of display track and that was enough work for me!

Great job!

Great progress, Patrick. I love the tie plates. It adds so much character to the track work.

Very nice thanks for sharing.

Don

Nice ! (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

Finally rounding the first big turn.

I have three more lengths of rail left of my first order and plan on another twenty next week.

That should get me down the straightaway and most of the way around the southern loop. I am really feeling like Phase 1 is getting closer to fruition now.

Among my order of code 250 aluminum from Llagas Creek, I accidentally received one odd piece of code 215 rail.

At first I was kind of upset that I would be stuck with this oddball but then I realized it would be the perfect candidate for the guard rails on my trestle. And since said bridge is right about 3 feet long, one 6 foot piece was indeed perfect.

I also added the outside guard timbers, but have yet to build any real trestles yet, other than an experimental, temporary one.

Patrick Excellent start

If anyone is interested, I posted a second article about my layout build thus far. Mostly describing my plan for the entire build in phases.

http://www.largescalecentral.com/articles/163/build-log-stardate-04062016-pr-krr

Thanks Jim! And everyone who has commented.

I read your link. It is wise to build in phases. Some guys dream of empires and never get around to actually building because it is too daunting.

Getting a train rolling early on in the construction will give you new ideas and direction. It is a chance to fix problems that appear OK on paper but prove problematic when wheels are turning on the rails.

You are correct. What is really neat about this hobby is it is multifaceted. One day you can run trains, the next build something, explore sound and lighting, contribute to forums like this one, grow a green thumb and then when you get tired of all that go run a train.

As for trains you need something really nice to ride that hand laid track. I’m sure you will find something soon enough.

Todd Haskins said:

I read your link. It is wise to build in phases. Some guys dream of empires and never get around to actually building because it is too daunting.

I agree.

Getting a train rolling early on in the construction will give you new ideas and direction. It is a chance to fix problems that appear OK on paper but prove problematic when wheels are turning on the rails.

Yup, I agree with that too.

You are correct. What is really neat about this hobby is it is multifaceted. One day you can run trains, the next build something, explore sound and lighting, contribute to forums like this one, grow a green thumb and then when you get tired of all that go run a train.

I also agree with that.

As for trains you need something really nice to ride that hand laid track. I’m sure you will find something soon enough.

Funny, I agree with that too, and I can’t wait to see what you come up with.

Very impressive Patrick. I just hope you don’t have a puppy that likes to chew on wood like mine has. I have to either rebuild a 6’ long curved trestle or fill in the area and remove the trestle. This hobby is always changing.

Chuck

Very Nice Work Patrick!

Great looking railroad, Patrick. Keep the updates coming. Can’t wait to see a train running.

Nice track work. Love the tie plates. Later RJD

Nice work. Noting beats real wood for ties. Im glad I hand laid all my track. It was worth every spike I put in one at a time.

Very nice track work . I like the look of the real wood ties . I think if I was to try my hand at track laying i’d have to dip the ties in real creosote oil with the crappy weather we get here .

Looks great Patrick. Is that AML rail? I bought my first box of AML in York a few weeks ago. I find that getting the joiners on it is quite a chore. Any advice?