Large Scale Central

Modeling SP Coastal Daylight Consist

I started modeling the Southern Pacific Coastal Daylight trains in:
my CR30 PrintMill thread

I’m moving to this thread as it is now more about the Daylight cars than the CR30. I’ll continue to add info to the CR30 thread that is specific to that 3D printer, but mostly will be adding stuff here.

My goal is to model the 1942-45 consist:

I’m going for the headend baggage/chair car, #s 3302 & 3303, built in 1939. I was disappointed to discover that this is the only “headend” car on the Coastal, they never had a mail car. At some point I will move the DeadRail control/batteries from the chair cars they are currently in to these 2 baggage cars.

I already own 2 sets of MTH “3 passenger cars + observation car”, so those are covered for the above consists. After the baggage/chair car I will attack the articulated chair car, and finally the coffee/kitchen/diner cars.

3 Likes

The above 2 diagrams were from:

Southern Pacific, Vol. 1: Daylight, Train 98-99

This book is a must if you are modeling the Coastal Daylights.

I also have acquired:

• THE OFFICIAL PULLMAN-STANDARD LIBRARY: VOLUME 5, SOUTHERN PACIFIC PREWAR CARS

• THE OFFICIAL PULLMAN-STANDARD LIBRARY: VOL. 6, SOUTHERN PACIFIC POSTWAR CARS

They contains blueprints, photos, and info on just about every car on the line.

as well as:

• Southern Pacific Painting and Lettering Guide

which contains 5 pages of detailed painting info on the paint scheme of passenger cars from 1935 thru 1958, and 8 pages of painting info on the Daylight locomotives.