Large Scale Central

Mina Mine bunkhouse

Thanks for the reminder, sure looks like I did see it!
My memory is going south…

Looks GREAT!!

Siding, doors and windows. Roof goes on next.

1 Like

Picking this project back up, because it’s taking up the most space on my workbench. Opted for non-corrugated steel ‘shingles’ for the roof, for a bit of variety. Goes pretty quick, about a third done today so far. .003 steel cuts quick with the old guillotine paper cutter.

1 Like

:+1:

For Ken ( I really miss his attitude and contributions as he was my other dad but not the real one)…Looks great Robert !

Front side of the roof completed as far as I can before doing the peak. Next up, the back, but I had to order more shim stock first, so it’ll be a few days.

2 Likes

still loving this project.

Right, back at it tonight.

Bob, might have missed it, and I assume I know the answer to this already, buy why are you using steel shim stock for the roof? My assumption is because nothing mimics rust better than actual rust?

Thats pretty thin stuff, do you know if it will crimp with a Friskers crimper to make corrugated roofing? Would you have to anneal it first? I know you got one of those fancy crimper things awhile back will that crimp it?

Yes, I like that it will rust over time. I’m not sure if the Fiskars crimper will do .003, I have used .001 through my old crimper and it works. The 003 will crimp with the new one I got, just fine. No annealing needed.

What was the manufacturer of that crimper. I am to lazy to go back and look. But that may very well be my next tool. I have lots of tools I’d like to have but I do enough roofing and have a lot more to do that I can actually see getting one.

It’s from Rio Grande Jewelry

Hard to get a good picture of the whole thing. Working on the ridge cap now.

1 Like

Nice!

Where does it go? (And when??? :innocent:)

When it’s done, it goes in the RR shed with all the other buildings. :clown_face:

Roof shingles done. Next up: finishing the front porch.

1 Like

Are you going to paint the roof and let the rust come through where it will? Or are you going to force the issue and rust it yourself with chemicals? Or no paint at all and let the whole thing rust?

I’ve had pretty good luck with just letting it rust on its own. Gonna give it a cleaning with some acetone to get off any oils and such, and then just see what happens. Worked well enough on other buildings.

1 Like

That siding does look great. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Figured out how to attach the roof, but make it removable. One side, I have some nuts and bolts that fit into tabs on the inside of the walls.

On the other end, I made two latches out of spring steel, that hold that end down

Now to make the removable peak panels so I can access the latches if necessary.

1 Like

Hopefully they do not rust out … :sweat_smile: