Large Scale Central

Mik's Build Challenge 2014

In Memorial to Allan Bupp, aka: Mik, Mik just Mik. Founder of the challenges.

Train guy, builder, scrounger, steam guy and friend to all. We miss ya buddy!

MIK’s Build Challenge 2014

Let the fun begin. All aspects governing the Challenge are to be applied under Mik’s build challenge Rule #1

Rule #1: Remember this is a “Fun Build Amongst Friends”

The 2014 challenge shall be: Build a structure attached to the provided door.

Each participant will be provided a door to build out from. The same door in 1:20.3 scale, 1:22.5 scale, and 1:30.5 scale ( compromise for 29 and 32 scale).

The structure can be any size or shape that conforms to:

Max Width + Max Depth CAN NOT TOTAL more then 90 scale feet.

No limit on vertical height, go for it if you want.

You can Build as small as you would like.

If you choose to mount the structure to a diorama type board, it ( the mounting board ) can be any size.

The door may be used as part of rolling stock ( MOW or Caboose comes to mind).

You may open the top part of the door, and insert glazing for a window.

TIME LINE:

Jan 1 thru 15, Sign up and let me know what scale you will be working in.

You can start planning, drawing, gathering, but No cutting or building.

Jan 6 thru — Doors mailed to each entry. If you live out of country (USA) enter as early as possible, and doors will be shipped ASAP.

Jan 15th, Build Logs to be posted in Modeling forum on LSC, Construction begins.

Jan 16th thru Feb 17th up-dates to your build log posted.

Feb 17th building ends (extended to local sunrise on the 18th if you must put in an all nighter to finnish).

Feb 18 and 19th Posting pictures to the “Official Finished “ forum post for judging.

RESTRICTIONS:

Actual building starts on JAN 15th and Ends on Feb 17th. That gives you 5 weekends to get it done.

$30(US or your local equil.) is the max you can spend on materials, paints, glue etc.

Any item that you already have in your hands as of 1 Jan 2014, does not count towards the limit. Any “Free” item you can procure, is free.

This is on the honor system guys. Refer to rule #1

All contestants MUST post a “Build Log” in the modeling forum section of LSC. You have to declare your intentions of what you will attempt to build in the initial post. You can change it if you want to but you must post it. NO phantom builds to pop up on the last day! Progress posts ( preferably with pics ) need to be made often.

Recommended Model forum Title “Daves 2014 challenge log”. something along those lines so every one will know, and be able to follow along.

If you choose to participate in Mik’s build challenge 2014, Post a reply to this thread, with the scale you will be building to.

I will need a valid mailing address to mail the doors to.

Send a separate e-mail to: [email protected]

Any contribution to offset postage expense will be appreciated.

LET THE FUN BEGIN!!

Happy New Year!

I think you have my address but you know I’m in! I’ll need a 1:20.3 door.

I know what the layout needs for a building but it’s a secret! I won’t be building for a couple weeks but soon I’ll post a hint about what’s coming!

Gee, I build in 1:24th, its easier for my feeble brain to convert 1:1 to scale.

So I guess a 1:22.5 door would be in order for me.

20.3 for me Dave

That’s a Grand Pic of MIK, a pause for a new year’s prayer for Kim and the kids…

OK it’s me again, my thick head insists on the noble Cape Ga and my buildings are G24, this one will be near the tracks… may I incorporate a 22.5 door into my scale?

John

IN…

1/22.5 for me.

Good challenge, Dave, way to go…

I’m signing up at 1:22 - Actually I’ll build nominally at 1:24, the standard scale for an unregenerate Kalamazoo guy. I’ll just make my own door to match if that’s ok, as the postage to Canada for one l’il ol’ door will be insane.

As several LSC’ers already know, I have been planning to build an ice house if it would fit in with the challenge. Now it’s official.

Good luck and much happiness to every participant in the challenge. Knock us all dead, guys!

I’m in!!! I will take a 1:20 door please! I even think I know what it will be going into!

That is a Great Photo of Mik.

I wonder who came up with this terrific challenge idea Hmmm ??

This is going to be a good one and I can’t wait to see the cool builds that spring from the imaginations of this talented crew.

I don’t build to any particular scale but I do consider a what if a 3.5 inch tall person needs to get through it. I’d say either the 1:22 or the 1:20 would be good for me.

Let the FUN begin!

Todd.

You bounced the Idea of a door to build around over a year and half ago, Mik picked up on it and ran it by me as his choice for this year, shooting down my “Ace up the sleeve” idea. Which I still have in mind for Next year.

Please sign me in. This sounds like a lot of fun. I will need a 1:20.3 door for a structure I need on the Little River RR.

Thanks for doing this again.

Doc Tom

I am in, great way to remember him by, I agree, quick prayer for Kim and the kids and hope they are finding comfort.

1:30 please

sent you an email Dave

Tom huisenga

Very Cool!!!

I’m out but good luck guys !

I’m in…1:22.5

(http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTIzOTM1MDUzMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTQzMTAyMQ@@.V1_SY317_CR2,0,214,317.jpg)

Will email address right away…Thx Cale

I’m in. 1:20 please. I hope I can get mine done!

Terry

I am in for 1:22.5

Dennis

In memory of Mik…I’m in! 1:22.5 or what ever is closest to 1/24 th scale Dave…

NOTICE TO CANADIANS !!

John Le Forestier, Last years grand prize winner, has agreed to forward post in Canada the doors for all that want to join in the fun.

Let me know the same as everyone else, I’ll mass ship one box to John and he will re-mail within Canada the individual doors. This will save me a ton on postage.

No excuses now for our Northern Friends not to join in the RR Games.

Dave, how does it affect the $30 limit if you already have everything you need-- i.e. styrene sheet, Precision Scale siding, Grandt Line windows, Weld-On 16, and respectable supply of Poly Scale and Delta Ceramcoat paints? I mean, what else would I need to spend that 30 bucks for?

Joe Rusz said:

Dave, how does it affect the $30 limit if you already have everything you need-- i.e. styrene sheet, Precision Scale siding, Grandt Line windows, Weld-On 16, and respectable supply of Poly Scale and Delta Ceramcoat paints? I mean, what else would I need to spend that 30 bucks for?

You don’t have to spend $30, you can if you need too. Sounds like you have quite the stock of parts to choose from.

I could be wrong but I thought the intention of the $30 limit was to challenge our creativity while emptying out our junk drawers that we modelers all seem to have! :wink: