Large Scale Central

Miks 2021 Vic Smith Water Tower

My challenge entry will be to add a municipal water tower for the thirsty folks of Borracho Springs. It will be simple and durable as hell as it will be outside year round.

That will be a cool looking water tower. I will have to admit, of all the water towers I’ve seen and I’ve seen a ton, yours will have the most structurally sound superstructure …well engineered.

Nice idea. Simple, but it will look great.

Well Vic… You do know that I give you 5 weekends to build. The 4x4 and 2x4 topped with 1x6, make that about as simple to build as it could be…

Anyone want to take a bet against Vic being the first one to stick a fork into it this year ( again)?

Make sure it’s pressure treated

Love water on top of a building. I never thought of using nails as the support for fencing. Good idea, note made.

I want to see how you do those windows; I’m not sure I’ve ever gotten the hang of it really.

Dave Taylor said:

Well Vic… You do know that I give you 5 weekends to build. The 4x4 and 2x4 topped with 1x6, make that about as simple to build as it could be…

Anyone want to take a bet against Vic being the first one to stick a fork into it this year ( again)?

I dunno, my hobby time this this year is alot more restricted than in years past,but it being rather straightforward means I should get it done on time.

…and I’m done

Collecting materials(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Vic Smith said:

…and I’m done

Knowing your past projects this could be quite true. You say you’re done and then 5 minutes later have found something else to add in the true spirit not MIK.

…and I’m done

Cutting everything

Work to date. Here is what I am going after, from the pizza planter layout.

Might not have that rusty patina by end of the challenge. Here is work to date:

Still mulling a few details, in no hurry.

A little more work. Can’s too small. Time for Progresso (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Not much else to report, spent entire 4 day weekend reworking and cleaning out part of our house. Think I’ve taken 6 full carloads of stuff to salvation army. One thing that was kinda hard but necessary was cleaning out my old magazine collection, I kept all of my Gazette’s but got rid of most of the GRs, 25% of them, some dating back to 1998 I kept. I reviewed every issue and only kept the ones with favorite layouts. I was really shocked at how fat the issues were before 08 and how very thin the last issues were in comparison. The actual content didn’t seem that less but the advertising has truly dried up to nothing. Very sad when you can see just how many businesses have gone away.

Vic… Time to go wander the grocery store isles… find the can size of choice, use that… It doesn’t cost against your $30.00…

Look at medium size tomato sauce cans…

Dave T.

Hi Dave I have the can I am going to use. A nice size can of Progresso Clam Chowder. Trouble is, chowder is nice on a cold winter day…it was 90 here today… NINETY! Dang it winter where the hell are you? Oh well, there’s a good chance of rain this weekend, I’m sure winter will show up some time before the end of the challenge. In the meantime I’m taking advantage of the heat and applying the stain finish. I’ll post progress pics this week.

That is one stout water tower. I wonder if a 1 quart paint can would look good on top? If you choose a soup can you can burn it in a small fire to get it to rust quickly.

Thanks Todd I have considered that (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Well Vic… It ain’t ninety today… cool, rainy, and breezy, sounds like a good day to chowder down…

Dave T.

Thanks Dave, I’m actually working on adding a baseboard for it, I can add the too small chili can as a part of the basework.

I added base board, This allows me to use the initial can that was too small, I need to find some junk for pumps and machinery for the spot next to the can.