Large Scale Central

Miks 2021 Vic Smith Water Tower

Vic i decided you need to make your water tank out of a big giant can of some sort from like a restaurant or something. As a water guy ( Dan can back me up on this) you can never build a reservoir to big. The minute you do some developer plans a 1000 home subdivision and next thing you know your tank is too small. So find a can that is about 5 gallons and you will have a nice reservoir to get you by.

Devon Sinsley said:

Vic i decided you need to make your water tank out of a big giant can of some sort from like a restaurant or something. As a water guy ( Dan can back me up on this) you can never build a reservoir to big. The minute you do some developer plans a 1000 home subdivision and next thing you know your tank is too small. So find a can that is about 5 gallons and you will have a nice reservoir to get you by.

Devon is correct, from a supply perspective, you can never have enough water in storage. There are some scenarios from a quality standpoint that smaller is better but that is not a concern here so the 5 gallon can he suggested should work nicely (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)Vic, I always enjoy the simplicity of your builds. Just proves it doesn’t always have to be complicated to accurately represent the real thing.

Devon Sinsley said:

ummm…no

Perfect, lol

awww, come on Vic, that looks really … ummmmm…ridiculous (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)You will need a much bigger foundation and I mean much, much bigger (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Progresso… I mean progress. Finally got the last can added, its proportionally larger than it looks in the pics. Need to weather the cans, somehow I dont think just letting it sit out in the rain a couple days will give me the patina I would like. I also want to add some foreground stuff on the baseboard, not sure what. Seems these days like I have a bunch a stuff, just not much of it is very useful.

Looking good Vic.

Is your outdoor going to be more traditional or are you going to stick to your micro design style with stuff packed in. I always love your pizza creations and with all that room you could do a bunch. But on the other hand I can see where you might want to do it differently now that you finally can

Hi Devon

I’m keeping it pretty much as is, this is going into an open spot. Aren’t many left. Some other spots are going to be planted and have additional rocks placed. Keeping it really simple.

I am taking advantage of the “mother of all storms” well that’s what the local news is reacting to the latest rain storm, to get a little free weathering, don’t think I will get it good and rusty before the end of the challenge, but the tin can I used on the Pola factory from last year’s chimney challenge is rusting quite nicely (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Great looking water tank. Needs some graffiti … in John Deere Green (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Ahaaaa Vic… Mother of all storms… Hardly… Back in my SoCal days in 1967 we had 30 straight days of rain… Big floods, freeways like lakes. LA River overflowed its banks. Supulvia(sp) Dam was going over the spillway, Prado Dam full, and the Santa Anna river washed out part of the Riverside Freeway. The RR tracks comming down the Cajon pass got washed out too ( no barstow Frw then). The top of the clouds was at 25,000 AGL.

I doubt that the current batch of meteorologists today were even born back then… 3-4 days of heavy rain… Ahaaa minor get wet…

Dave T.

LOL yeah they hyped this storm for over a week that we were going to get a week of heavy rain and it turned out to be one night of avg rain. A few weeks ago we had a really big thunderstorm pass overhead, a real midwest gully washer. That was way more exciting. We’ve had serious el nino storms that caused tremendous damage, this wasn’t one of those.

Pics in place on the layout, I’m kinda busy so I may not be doing much more on this, but we’ll see.

looks great Vic,

Are you planning on letting nature take it’s course on the tin. Because a natural rust patina would look good. As I am thinking on this, if you were to paint it, it might give an interesting effect to use the rock salt technique or some other technique and chip small pieces out of the paint and let them rust

Devon Sinsley said:

looks great Vic,

Are you planning on letting nature take it’s course on the tin. Because a natural rust patina would look good. As I am thinking on this, if you were to paint it, it might give an interesting effect to use the rock salt technique or some other technique and chip small pieces out of the paint and let them rust

Yes, I am going to let it get a natural patina, the tin can I put out on the outdoor pizza several years ago has rusted very nicely. The tin can I added to what became the end result of last years Chimney Challenge, has in six months began getting a nice rust patina on it.

Nothing beats the real deal and I think it will look good rusty or partially rusty

The build fits in nicely with the layout, and it looks great on its own. You’re lucky to be over by the ocean where I hear things rust quickly; here on the front range you might wait a long time!

Vic, it looks even better out on the layout. I was going to mention you need an FAA light on top of the tank, but I guess that landscape light should do the trick (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)