Large Scale Central

Mik 2020 -- Mama's No Ka Oi Bakery

The chimney arrived (Thanks, Dave!), and we are in!

The design ideas came fast and furious, and it included a long discussion on the concept of “chimney,” which is not a prominent architectural feature in Hawai’i! Our two-story Chinese restaurant and shop-house will have to wait…

I had been wanting to try to use Styrofoam for a simple building for some time, and I finally have a bunch off a friend. It had been used to protect, of all things, an organ. This material should let us make use of our Hotwire tools and, more importantly, largely obviate my nemesis, the Saw. I had suggested a simple structure based on the post office at Makaweli, Kaua’i:

This is typical of rural Kaua’i as well as the other islands. Most of the buildings are of simple board or board and batten construction, which should allow us to put our “craft stick” skills to work. Corrugated metal roofs are also common, so we can finally employ the crimper…if we can find it!

Clearly, we will add a chimney to make our 1:24-ish PLAYMOBIL scale version a proper bakery, taking the best elements from the crew’s concept sketches.

Oldest Son:

Youngest Daughter:

Oldest Daughter:

Kid-zilla will provide destructive testing later…Or maybe just check the spelling.

All hands want to have an outdoor dining area, and the girls in particular are curious to see what sort of “pastries” and other details they can make from sculptamold. As ever, I have a professional obligation in the midst of all this, so the plan is to have it built prior to that and leave it to the crew to paint and detail. As in all plans, even the timing is only something from which to deviate.

Eric

I had to laugh at you having a discussion with your kids what a chimney is. Warm climate problems. As always I am on the edge of my seat to see what you and the kids create. It is so fun that they are eagerly involved.

Who wouldn’t want to eat at a place called Mama’s (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif). I’m jealous of the young folks’ drawing skills. Heck, they’re better than mine and I used a straight edge. Your clan’s builds are always fun to watch so I’ll be keeping a close I on this one.

Looking forward to it Eric and family!!!

seems like Kidzilla should be getting out of the Hulk Smash phase soon, then we will learn his alter ego !

That will be cool a place to get some real Hawaiian cuisine, got my money ready, there use to be a diner in Lake Mary Florida called Maw’s and sign up front that said “but Paw does the cooking” and what food it was “Paw” was a cook off an old Navy destroyer and the plate of what ever you got was enough to feed 3 people, real mashed potatoes with lumps in it.

" an outdoor dining area"

do you guys like pizza?

those spaceholders, that keep the carton-lid away from the cheese make nice and easy tables.

Are you going to tell the people what “No Ka Oi” means? Having been to Maui, we know. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Pete Lassen said:

Looking forward to it Eric and family!!!

seems like Kidzilla should be getting out of the Hulk Smash phase soon, then we will learn his alter ego !

Yea, um, don’t bet on it.

Todd Brody said:

Are you going to tell the people what “No Ka Oi” means? Having been to Maui, we know. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Eat more beef ?

Rooster ’ said:

Todd Brody said:

Eat more beef ?

Geez, did you look at the napkin drawings? It means "Cupcakes (No), Ice Cream (Ka), and Birthday Cakes (Oi).

And here I thought it meant non GMO and gluten free

“No ka oi” literally translates into “of the best.” I just checked, though, that this is a modern usage of the phrase. Per my dictionary, it should be preceded by a noun, which I did not know. So, in this case, it would be Hale (building) o Makua Wahine (of the mother) Puhi Palaoa (baker; a compound noun composed of word families for “fire” and “biscuit,” respectively) no Ka Oi." Not to sure about the exact grammar in this case due to the possessive, but it is far more than I want to try to paint on a sign! We are going to stick with the modern convention!

Eric Mueller said:

“No ka oi” literally translates into “of the best.” I just checked, though, that this is a modern usage of the phrase. Per my dictionary, it should be preceded by a noun, which I did not know. So, in this case, it would be Hale (building) o Makua Wahine (of the mother) Puhi Palaoa (baker; a compound noun composed of word families for “fire” and “biscuit,” respectively) no Ka Oi." Not to sure about the exact grammar in this case due to the possessive, but it is far more than I want to try to paint on a sign! We are going to stick with the modern convention!

When we were in Hawaii for our honeymoon (1981), the saying on Maui was “Maui No ka oi” translating to “Maui is the best.”

I have enough trouble talking American.

Having deleted my original post, I try again…

The day began with a quick review of procedures:

Kidding aside, I wanted to pay tribute to Mr. Jack Verducci and thank him for his work, “Building Structures for Your Garden Railway.” I have been reviewing it all week leading up t the Mik!

In actuality, the day began with Oldest Son and I triaging our supplies and getting organized:

We found a lot of bits we may be able to use, got some fodder for the grill, and even found some stuff for future projects. We both figured this would save time later. We also discovered we have distressingly small amounts of our secret ingredient, the craft stick!

After that, Oldest Daughter joined me to get a sense of the project and how to turn the “plans” into reality. We took out a PLAYMOBIL building that has drifted down from antiquity and studied it. After which, she turned to and got some meaurements:

All hands turned out to play with the Hotwire foam cutting tools:

Youngest Daughter made a jigsaw puzzle. Oldest Son and Kid-zilla made foam scraps and lot of ozone-thinning gas. After being shown that sliding the foam on the plate resulted in a cleaner cut, Oldest Daughter actually produced four walls, which she and I puttered with until we had proportions we liked:

About this time we stopped for lunch and to ponder the concepts of “door” and “window.” I remembered a trick from Bill Barnwell, grabbed a gift card and a cowpoke, and solved the Riddle of Door:

That set us on a search for similar templates to solve the Riddle of Window, and we settled on a small plastic music box, of all things! Out hot knife having broken in a past project, we ended up boring holes in our walls, threading the hotwire through it, and melting / cutting away. I showed her how to do it, then Oldest Daughter showed me up. She cut the rest of the windows, all the doors, and fixed my work. Her results are below:

This is the lanai dining area and customer entrance. To your left will be a sidewalk (because why not?) and a large display window. To the right is a smaller window, and there is a service entrance in the back. We’ll cut foam to represent the oven, scribe it, and affix the chimney to that. We will plank the exterior walls, and we are probably going to go for a cobblestone lanai, ripping up foam meat trays and gluing them in place. We have no plans to detail the interior, instead using “shadow boxes” for the windows, Oh, we affixed the building to the base for stability. Let’s see how that works out.

We had made pieces for a roof with an outline similar to a our local STARBUCKS, but it was getting late, we were starting to rush, and I had to hang a ceiling fan. We decided to add some interior braces, let the glue dry and take fresh stock of where to go next tomorrow. At this time we plan to glue a couple sheets of foam together, the cut off a couple sides to get the angles we want. We have decided on a profile closer to our local STARBUCKS than the post office in the picture at the start of this thread, but that is fine.

As for working with foam, wow, where has this stuff been all of my life? Light, easy to work with, and, best of all, free.

More to come…

Happy Building!

Eric

We all think we are making models, but you are making memories and wonderful children. I think you win…

It is great to see that your RR is a family affair Eric. Jim is right, you are creating more than a building, you are creating memories.

So as I see this evolving… two years from now… Oldest Daughter does her own Mik Challenge, and sticks dad with the three little ones to sheppard…

Agree with Jim, Todd and Dave. I love watching your family work together to solve a problem. These team skills will take your kids far in life.

‘Older Daughter’ seems highly talented at this sort of thing.