Large Scale Central

Man Cave Remodel Idea: yes or no

So some of you may remember that I had my basement flood this spring. We had to tear out sheet rock up about two feet around the entire perimeter of the room to dry it out and kill mold. We tore the floor out. So I really have a blank slate. With my health being what it is we have done nothing down there. It is a huge pile of crap laying in the middle of the floor. Always before the “theme” of this room was going to be that of a turn of the century RR station. But the theme of my indoor RR when and if it ever gets done is 1930-40s mining and logging. I have run through a few ideas for the remodel. But always come back to more or less a logging camp or mill feel. I am also a cheap SOB when it comes to stuff like this. I like to buy or scrounge stuff. So the rusty gold idea fits.

Well one of my issues I have been having is insomnia which leads to sleepless night staring at the ceiling thinking. So many ideas running though my head that Ihad to get an idea book and put it next to my bed. Anyway one of these sleeples nights I came up with the idea to tile the floor in random size and color faux slate tiles from the ReStore. Use a few 2 by 2 or larger tiles as a “pathway” and then fill in with just random stuff I can buy on the cheap. For the cabinets I have a source for rustic hickory for 3 to 3.50 a board foot. I will make them out of that hickory and rustic corrugated metal roofing. My lighting is already the old industrial hat type lamp shades.

No here is the real whacky idea. I own two 1927 chevy sedans. A hot rod project that will never come to pass. The way they are built is they are basically just pieces of sheet metal. They were a wood framed affair. What I am thinking about doing is putting one of them downstairs. Not the whole car but from the windshield forward. it would be about 4 feet wide and stick out about 5 feet from the wall. I was thinking of doing this right by my work bench and using the underhood area as a storage area. If i use a piece of the front doors also I can run the train through the windows. Am i crazy or will this look cool.

Not my car but this is what they look like. I would keep mine rusty gold.

You ARE crazy, but the car idea would look awesome! Would look best (in my opinion) if it was complete with tires, axle, fenders, etc. Have some extra fun and wire the headlights up.

Chris

Chris Kieffer said:

You ARE crazy, but the car idea would look awesome! Would look best (in my opinion) if it was complete with tires, axle, fenders, etc. Have some extra fun and wire the headlights up.

Chris

Of for sure Chris. I will likely cut the front portion of the frame off and then assemble the front half of the car less the motor. I have all but the wheels and tires. I can get them or even if I have to use wire rims and tires a few years newer who cares. I will have working lights for sure. I mean I have all the parts already. minus the rims and tires. I will put it all to use.

My buddy even said put my TV where the windshield is. The whole idea is born out of the notion that I have the cars already, they are cool and I don’t really want to get rid of them, but I will never be able to have the hot rod as it is way to much money that I don’t have nor want to throw at it. It will be a relatively low cost deal and I think will be truly a unique one of a kind, every guy wishes they are me, sorta things. Its the right era to be hanging around a 40’s mill decorate the rest of the room will saw mill type stuff and I will not want to leave.

Make sure you have a working aoogah horn (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Sean McGillicuddy said:

Make sure you have a working aoogah horn (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

A must! And you could hide some speakers and an amp and have the motor idling sound paying in a loop. Can be done on eth cheap with stuff that is out there.

I’ve seen something similar in a (rich) friend’s house. But he chopped the car in back of the windshield & dash, leaving the seat and back a place to sit and have a drink. Chopped the chassis also, so that the room floor was the car floor.

So if you had tons of room, you could do both with the same car: front coming out of the wall, seat & back (or maybe just the seat area) for a cool small couch.

You had me until “tich” and “tons of room”

Don’t mind me. I just think its a shame to cut up an irreplaceable antique.

Sounds like a plan. Down side is why would you destroy an old car than can be worth big bucks? Later RJD

I’m with the What are you crazy? crowd.

Can’t you sell it and use part of the money to buy a replication of the front end?

David Maynard said:

Don’t mind me. I just think its a shame to cut up an irreplaceable antique.

This has always been an internal struggle for me. What should be done with it? It cost to much to restore, there is not much monetary value in it when it’s done. I can’t sell it for even what I have in it. And putting it in my house is preserving it more than letting it rust in a field. But yes I agree it’s a shame. Not everything old can be preserved.

Now with that said. The beauty of this car is the only thing that would be cut up would be the frame. Which I have two of anyway. These cars are not built like cars today. The are not a single welded body. They are a collectio pieces nailed to a wood skeleton. I could but from the windshield forward in the room and never cut a piece.

It’s a hard one. But the point of owning antiques is to enjoy them and share a piece of history. Far more people will notice it there than in a field.

Now if you want to buy it I will sell both cars. Most every piece of body metal you need plus two frames. For $1000. I’m not being sarcastic. Spread the word.

I have tried selling on a few occasions. It’s not as easy as one might think. It’s a pile of rusted sheet metal. Not a car as you see cars. The only interested parties want “rusty gold” to decorate their yard.

Find me a buyer for what I have in it and it’s a deal.

Aw … ok… the pic you posted as an example gave a far different appreciation.

I’ve had ‘What if’ thoughts with selected piles of junk too.

Carry on, you’ve got 14 days to waste anyway. Then I will expect full devotion of your mind, to the challenge at hand.

Yer bud,

R.J. DeBerg said:

Sounds like a plan. Down side is why would you destroy an old car than can be worth big bucks? Later RJD

As a guy that’s built a couple of hot rods, Devon’s idea will get him the use out of the body parts without getting in over his head. There are a few companies out there that make custom sofas or mantle pieces out of the front end or trunk section of old cars. Front ends with operating headlights as a mantle piece or wall hanging run $500-$700, depending on the car, or truck. Caddy or Lincoln pieces always pricier. Sofas start around $2000, with operating taillights. I’ve seen a pink '59 Caddy sofa, with tuck and roll, working taillights and tailfins sell for $10,000.

Old Chevy’s, like Devon’s don’t sell for as much as you think, unless they’re a 1000 point car. Old Fords, in running, but not pristine condition, can be picked up between $5000-12,000. Pristine condition, $20-30,000.

Resto-Mods, now that’s a different story. Custom paint jobs, newer engines, usually V-8’s, custom interiors, chopped and channeled, those will set you back around a $100,000, and you’ll never sell it for what you put into it, even if you do most of the custom work yourself.

Devon, I say go for it! At least you will get more enjoyment out of it than you currently are. Plus, someday down the road if things change you have preserved the pieces and can build your car! I used to have a 32 and 33 Ford pickup cabs and most of the parts to build one truck out of them. I was in a similar situation and gave serious thought into restoring one of the cabs with full upholstery and stereo and putting it in the house. I figured down the road if I could ever build the rest of the truck, the cab was ready.

Steve

John Caughey said:

Aw … ok… the pic you posted as an example gave a far different appreciation.

I’ve had ‘What if’ thoughts with selected piles of junk too.

Carry on, you’ve got 14 days to waste anyway. Then I will expect full devotion of your mind, to the challenge at hand.

Yer bud,

If I had mine even close to resembling that I would not venture this direction. Mine isn’t even in stick in the yard condition.

Yep pic kind of gave an impression it was not in the worst of shape. The rest of the story now will allow you to carry on with the project. Later RJD

this may put it into better perspective; these are the two cars I have. One is a 2-door sedan and the other is a 4 door sedan.

I have acquired other various parts to more or less have one complete car.

Now the question is do you do the body work on the parts you put in the house have a restored front end or leave it “rusty gold”

I’d wash 'n seal, don’t want rust transfer.

Use it as a motivational tool when you’re daydreamin’ er imagineering.